CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Attempt at describing Steve and My battle last weekend

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

Attempt at describing Steve and My battle last weekend Empty
PostSubject: Attempt at describing Steve and My battle last weekend   Attempt at describing Steve and My battle last weekend EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 12:11 pm

So bat reps against necrons are always harder, and I didn't take notes, but here goes. There will also likely be a number of edit/updates as I go, be patient.

So my 13th Company went up against Steve's Necrons last Saturday in a Recon mission. My army was as normal, Steve had 1 lith, 6 destroyers in two squads, 5 scarab swarms and 4 ten man warrior squads with a standard kit lord with res orb and veil of darkness.

We were using Matt's terrain again, as I am still it's keeper until I meet up with him. The board had the two bunkers in the opposite ends of the board, with the billboard in the middle. The hills were scattered around. Most notably there was one of the large hills in Steve's deployment zone touching the board edge with an accompanying smaller hill towards the corner.

We also rolled off for alpha/gamma/whatever and got the one with dusk til dawn and escalation and random game length, which reminds me Steve that we both forgot to do these, who knows, that might have changed things a little. However we did play escalation.

Most of the action occurred on the left side of the board from my perspective. Steve "had" to deploy first and used the must be 24" away to full advantage by deploying at the front of his deployment zone forcing me back into mine (15 inch deployment zones). I had one of the bunkers just outside my deployment zone and my long fangs went behind it hoping to move inside during the scout move, but the would come up just short.

Steve put all of this warrior squads and lord on and around the two hills in this deployment zone with the lord in the middle, within 6" of three of the four squads. The furthest back squad was just out of range. He also had a unit of immortals along the front line between two warrior squads and screening the lord.
Back to top Go down
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

PostSubject: Re: Attempt at describing Steve and My battle last weekend   Attempt at describing Steve and My battle last weekend EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 1:07 pm

I had my long fangs, storm claws and wolves screened from most of his army by the bunker just outside of my deployment zone. The plasma grey hunters were on a hill behind that and to the right. Both melta grey hunter squads were to the right of that and as close to steve as they were allowed. The rune priest was between these squads and the wolf priest was balming the storm claws. The wolf lord was my only unit forced off from escalation.

The melta squads had the billboard terrain between them and the necrons. In hindsight this was a mistake, and one that I continue to make. The only thing that I could be getting cover from was the monolith pie plate, and since that was starting off the board, all the "cover" really did was slow me down by two inches. It's just hard for me to plop my guys down in the open.

In my scout move the everyone moved closer to the Necrons.

Turn 1
I won the roll for first turn! And decided to take it. My long fangs moved into the bunker, as they couldn't see much in their current position. The storm claws moved around the board edge side of the bunker, approaching the left-most necron unit. The melta squads moved towards the necrons. The Wolves fanned out behind the storm claws and the bunker, being able to charge around it on either side next turn.

And here is where I made the second of my many small mistakes. I had moved the storm claws close-ish to the left necron squad and I figured I'd try and snap off some pistol shots, but I was out of range by about an inch and a half. Steve said that that was a mistake, cause I wouldn't do that much to the necrons, but now he knew he was out of charge range, and otherwise he would have retreated on me. The plasma squad knocked over an immortal, but he would get back up.

On Steve's turn he moved forward with the immortals and hosed down my units with gauss fire. The storm claws remained uninjured thanks to the lovely healing balms. Melta squad 1 took a casualty and melta squad 2 took two casulaties. All in all not too bad. In this game both of us rolled saves very well. I rolled my shooting slightly better than Steve.

Turn 2
First off, my wolf lord was still trying to find the battle.

So, I really dislike Immortals. I don't like their S5, T5 or their assault 24 range. Since they were out in the open, and Steve has only one unit of them, I decided I would try and knock them out. The wolves zoomed around the other side of the bunker, and with a 4" fleet roll had the 8 immortals in range, as well as being able to contact the back warrior squad. I also poured as much fire as I could into the unit from all my squads. After some good saves from Steve, there will still three Immortals standing. (Dang)

Other than this, all the assaulty squads moved forward. The storm claws figured that this time they should fire at the necron squad and managed to knock over a few of them.

Steve made his rolls for the scarabs, the lith and one destroyer squad. Dang. Here we had an interesting rules debate. Steve was thinking about deep striking the lith into the middle of the board between most of my squads. If he had landed on one of my squads it pushes them back to make room from the monolith, but we thought that if he drifted onto one of his squads, the lith might die as they are impassable terrain. To keep from risking this, the lith floated onto the board from the edge. The scarabs boosted to swarm around my storm claws in a two inch spaced arc to keep them from charging the warrior squad.

The monolith also choose to suck the immortals out of combat and with their double WBB rolls, only two remained dead. Luckily, the wolves had remained locked with the warriors, making a decent screen during Steve's phase.

The immortals walked 6 inches away from the monolith and back to about where they had been, but not in combat. The immortals and the left warrior squad fired on the storm claws, but didn't get much, maybe 1 guy. The other two warrior squads and the destroyers fired on the 7 man melta squad, reducing them to 4. Nothing was within 12" of the monolith except the wolves who were in combat. I believe the Necrons and Wolves double-fluffed and kinda just stood there.
Back to top Go down
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

PostSubject: Re: Attempt at describing Steve and My battle last weekend   Attempt at describing Steve and My battle last weekend EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 3:31 pm

Turn 3
Well things had been going pretty well so far, other than the monolith showing up on turn 2 and Steve's excellent armor save rolls. And my biker lord decided to show up.

I choose to charge the wolf/warrior combat with the 4 man melta squad, cause what else were they going to do and the Rune priest. I hoped to wipe out the squad and then get some good massacre rolls into other squads.

I boosted my lord towards the Necron lines and screened him with the 6 man melta squad.

The Storm Claws, as much as they wanted to ignore the scarabs and charge the warrior squad, were surrounded. I debated (with Steve helping) what was the best option. Annhiliating the scarabs and taking some fire, or trying not to kill them all and stay locked in combat through his turn. After a lot of debate, I figured that I had a good chance of blowing through them anyway just due to how many attacks I had so I figured I'd just take a round of rapid firing. I bolt pistoled them and then had some of my p-fists swing at I4 to keep them from hurting me and ripped through them and on towards the warrior squad.

Since this was my plan, and I don't like immortals, I decided to put them down for good. The 6 man melta squad screening the wolf lord opened up on them, as well as the plasma squad. This put 5 of 6 on their sides. But I could not take chances. The long fangs opened up and killed the last one twice. With no other immortals on the table they were gone for good! - On a list competitiveness note, I think Steve's list would be even tougher if it had another immortal unit to keep this from happening.

The rune priest killed three warriors and Steve cleverly cleared the melta squad's kill zone. The wolves lost two of their number and the Necrons broke from combat. And were sweeping advanced by the wolves. The melta squad consolidated into the next further back necron squad and the wolves and rune priest, with bad rolls, had the wolves screen the rune priest from being lord-sniped.

Steve teleported the warrior squad locked with my 4-man melta squad out of combat and in front of the monolith. The allowed my poor melta squad to be obliterated by combined destroyer and warrior fire. The storm claws took a few more casualties from the warrior squad they were licking to charge and the wolves sold their lives to keep the rune priest unharmed. This now led to three warrior squads lined up around the monolith with the lord in the middle and the destroyers near Steve's board edge but much further down staying out of danger.

Turn 4
This turn saw a massive combined charging. I will label the warrior squads A-C from left to right with A and C on either side of the monolith with B in front of the portal. The storm claws moved, fired at squad A and charged squads A and B. The wolf lord shot at and charged squad B. The melta squad (down to three men? some more must have died during Steve's shooting) also shot at and charge squad B. The Rune Priest led the lone charge against squad C.

The Storm Claws pounded squad A into oblivion and kill two warriors on the edge of squad B. The wolf lord kills his whole kill zone of 4 guys and takes the squad out of combat. The Necron squad fails their morale check, and runs away and none of my guys were in base, so no sweeping advances. The three squads pile into the Necron Lord. Here Steve said he was surprised that I clumped my units allowing for a good pie plate hit next turn. I sort of didn't know what else to do, didn't really want the AP3 staff of light hits or the lord to pick a charge, plus people forget things sometimes.

In the last combat, the rune priest killed off his three person kill zone, but the Necrons stayed fast and surrounded him. Steve made some WBB rolls to add some of the fallen Necrons to the fleeing squad. (Which was really brilliant because he was able to add them to the squad below the hill they were on. This made part of the squad go through difficult terrain during their flee move, which kept them on the board.)

Last edited by JMarv on Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Steve
Initiate
Initiate
Steve

PostSubject: Re: Attempt at describing Steve and My battle last weekend   Attempt at describing Steve and My battle last weekend EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 4:18 pm

I could at the Immortals easily, just have to drop a few warriors. But honestly do people like playing against more Immortals? I think being a bit water downed I can still compensate, with positioning and setting traps. Thanks for the idea though.
Back to top Go down
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

PostSubject: Re: Attempt at describing Steve and My battle last weekend   Attempt at describing Steve and My battle last weekend EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 5:35 pm

Steve's Turn 4
So Steve Veiled the Lord along with the fleeing Necrons across the board and near my deployment zone, this was Recon after all. The destroyers moved into the center of the board. The monolith pie plate plus the destroyer fire killed off the wolf priest, and all but the storm claw sargeant and one of the destroyer squads killed a missile launcher.

Turn 5
All of the available and not dead units helped charge the Rune Priest surrounded by warriors. Needless to say all of this massed Space Wolf Power slaughtered the warriors and sweeping advanced them away. In consolidation all the units spread out as far as they could.

The destroyers however had come closer to both the plasma squad and the long fangs. Although the bolters did nothing, the heavy weapons knocked two on their sides. If Steve failed both of these WBB rolls he would phase out. But he only failed one.

Steve's Destroyers ran away into the far corner of my deployment zone to hang out with the lord and the warriors. The monolith failed to do anything. (Did you pie-plate something else?)

Turn 6
I tried to teleport the rune priest and the remnants of the melta squad (1 bolter 2 meltas) close to the warriors If I could kill 1 Steve would phase. But I failed the psychic test.

Instead the lords ran away from the monolith. The melta guns shot the lith and both hit, one rolled a 6 for a pen and then a 2 for weapon destroyed.

The plasma squad ran down on the other side of the hill since they weren't in range of anything.

The long fangs figured what the heck, lets shoot at the monolith. The two lascannons hit, one penned, and rolled a 5! I actually killed a monolith! It was crazy.

On Steve's turn he moved the destroyers closer to the long fangs and tried to drop them below half, but failed.

When we adding everything up, I had only give up 700 some VP to Steve while killing over 1000 of his. But factoring the VP of a warrior squad and two destroyer squads for being in my DZ, and having no scoring squads left myself gave Steve a minor Victory. And I was this close to phasing him.

Escalation helped me, giving me a turn of not too much return fire from the destroyers and monolith, but in the end it wasn't enough. Steve did a masterful job of minimizing my effectiveness in combat by clearing out lower I kill zones, delaying my Storm claws and keeping his retreating Necron squad from leaving the board.
Back to top Go down
Steve
Initiate
Initiate
Steve

PostSubject: Re: Attempt at describing Steve and My battle last weekend   Attempt at describing Steve and My battle last weekend EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 2:26 am

Yea those 3 characters gave me a run for my money. Hardest list I have faced since the old chaos codex, close combat wise.

I used the Flaux Arc because you spread out. I don't think it killed anything that turn though.

Yea I cant wait to get a hold of your army without escalation Smile
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Attempt at describing Steve and My battle last weekend   Attempt at describing Steve and My battle last weekend EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 9:31 am

There is a ton of close combat potential in that army.

Those Necrons are tough when played well.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Attempt at describing Steve and My battle last weekend   Attempt at describing Steve and My battle last weekend Empty

Back to top Go down

Attempt at describing Steve and My battle last weekend
Page 1 of 1