CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Drop Pod list for tourney

Go down 
+3
Steve
Matt
Nathan
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

Drop Pod list for tourney Empty
PostSubject: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 1:00 pm

HQ

Epistolary, fear, fury, familiar, frag, bolt pistol - 151 leading
Command *8, vet w/ pf, 2 mg, apoth, Pod - 225

Master, pw, bolt pistol, frag, auspex - 94

Troops

Marines *8, vet w/ pf, mg, Pod - 190
Marines *5, hb

Heavy Support

Dev *8, 3 missiles, 1 las - 215
Dev *8, 3 plasma cannons - 225

Total:1750

This will be an interesting list to play.
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 3:42 pm

Wow, really...Nobody?

Makari, ryanscav, nothing from the xenos perspective?

Time to screw this list up with terrible rolls and half-thought of tactics.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 5:01 pm

I looked at this, haha thought someone else would comment to get the ball rolling.

I will be back later with comments. Just wanted to give this a bump for now.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com
Steve
Initiate
Initiate
Steve

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 5:25 pm

The list looks good. A few ideas though.

The 2 devs squad are going to be on the table for 2 turns by themselves, which will be easy victory points for most opponents.You should just go for more pods, a dread or two would help with lost fire power.

You dont need to pay for a master with this army. Only two squads are ld 8. If you really want the Auspex just pay for it in one of the devs squads.

I really think you will want a couple of plasma guns in the army somewhere. They dont do much worst against most vehicles, the extra shot really helps out. No to mention if you try to hold an objective the plasma might actually have the range to hit something.

That Librarian will help out tons, even with bad rolls and horrible tactics. Wink

Theres my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 6:16 pm

I'd swap the command out for a vet squad, at least then you have the option to split him from the group he drops with.

Agree with Steve on his points.

Dreads or more squads are the name of the game here. The more you have the less likely it will be that you get robbed by bad rolls.
Back to top Go down
Scav
Initiate
Initiate
Scav

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 6:29 pm

well i have played drop pod marines only once before. i forget what exactly i took to the battle, but my harlequins had a feast because he bunched up a few squads together, they couldnt see the harlies when they dropped down, and the harlies ate a few squads. Then they got shot to death because he deep struck another pod right near them... but you get the point.

tactically, then, i would suggest watching out for assault units. They can really harm you from my perspective. Make sure you use your devastator squad to pump rounds into any assault based unit, or even a fast attack that can make it to your lines, and especially troop transports.

the devs will get shot up like the dickens unless you put them in good cover.. but how often do you find enough cover on one board? esp. in a tournament.

if you ask me the marines you are dropping dont have strong enough weapons in general to play the drop a squad and dump rounds tactic (ie fish of fury/avengers in serpent). They are like orks in trukks. any way you could upgrade their weapons? the s and ap of the guns just isn't that incredible to down anything relatively tough.. ya get me?
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 6:52 pm

Cleanse and purify is good for DP marines. Double up on the plasma, then have a squad with MG's.

Dropping and dealing with very specific points of the enemy army will be the key to victory. Overwhelm a specific point in the enemy lines using your surprise to pick and choose your battles.

This is where squads like those two devs come in handy (although I would make them smaller). Deploy say 1 5 man squad on the right side of your edge, and another 5 man on the left side. Then (if the enemy needs to go for your side of the table) they will have to split at least some of their force to deal with the units... thus splitting their forces instead of bunkering up in a way that will make it difficult to pick off pieces.

I def think DP marines are viable, especially in the tournament setting, but you really need to play smart.
Back to top Go down
Steve
Initiate
Initiate
Steve

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 1:50 am

I agree with Matt. You need Cleanse and Purfiy. And if you really want to surprize assault arms take the trait that allows true grit and counter attack. Screws with lash of submission pretty well when they try to snip the Power Fist out of your squad.

I think you are better with a command squad myself. You don't save any points going with vets and then you would need to by the Librarain Terminator armour so he can deepstrike and join pod units. That would also take away your familiar.

If you are set on keeping the dev squads I second what Matt said. 5 men with 3 heavy weapons set up in oppiste corners. I still think this really hurts your list though, you are giving free points to any stand and fire army. Although it could work well to split assault armies. Not to mention once you start podding in you may block your own line of sight.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 9:08 am

The librarian can still join a squad in a drop pod with room before the game begins as long as you roll them at the same time. Not too difficult (the game does need reserves for you to be able to hold him too).

Stupid GW and their 'tard rules.

I really do like the split dev squad tactic, it forces your enemies hand, and if you see a gunline army that will shred them easily. Just put them in cover and use them to cap things in your territory or move up slightly to cap things once your pods hit their lines.
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 11:48 am

Do the Drop pods need to be modeled for the tourney?
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/makarithraka
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 11:50 am

Of course, he has them modeled though.
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 12:02 pm

Excellent just wondered if otehr tourneys required that or not?
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/makarithraka
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 12:50 pm

Most if not all do, as the model itself has a direct impact on the game rules wise.
Back to top Go down
Steve
Initiate
Initiate
Steve

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 1:40 pm

I think you need something like termie armour to get into reserves. As like necrons warriors have a special rule that allow them to be held in reserve. As far as the rule book goes, I believe it says you have to deploy unless you have special rules/escaltion. I am to lazy to get mine out of the car right now.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 2:34 pm

No you are correct, you do need special rules to get in reserve. I guess an 8 man squad and then a libby in termi armor works.

A familiar is nice to have though...
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 4:31 pm

Geez, make one post then forget to go on and a deluge of information hits. Thanks for the advice guys, I'll get a second list up when I have more time.

Oh, and Steve, lately I've been rolling extremely high for Ld (2 11s and 2 12s in a 3 turn game, everything else 8,9, or 10), just thought the master might even it out a little.
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 5:24 pm

Newish list

Traits: Trust your Battle Brothers and Cleanse and Purify
Drawbacks: Eye to Eye and Faithful Unto Death

HQ: Epistolary, familiar, fear, fury, bp - 150
Command Squad (can't help using them, haven't played them in a while) *8, vet w/ pf, 2 mg, apoth, Trust, Pod - 249

Elites: Dread, ven, hf, ea, smokes, Pod - 173
Dread, ea, smokes, Pod - 143

Troops: Marines *8, vet w/ pf, 2 mg, Trust, Pod - 229
Marines *8, vet w/ pf, 2 pg, Trust, Pod - 229
Marines *8, vet w/ pf, 1 pg, 1mg, Trust, Pod - 229

Heavy Support: Dev *6, 3 plasma cannons - 180
Dev *6, 3 - 135

Total: 1747
Model Count: 45
Vehicle Count (scoring): 2
Scoring Unit Count: 8

Model Count (other list): 63
Vehicle Count (scoring): 0
Scoring Unit Count: 8

By losing 18 models I gave my units more punch in close-combat (much more considering the dreadnoughts). Opinions on if it was worth it?
Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 10:07 pm

I see alot of heavy weaponry heading your way.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 9:56 am

CJ...?

I like the list better, what weapons are in the second dev squad?
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 4:32 pm

Doh!

3 missile launchers. Not sure of anything else to really add to the Devs. I've considered Heavy Bolters, but I don't know.
Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 4:39 pm

Matt? Drop pods....I've played against drop pods....I died really fast against drop pods.....specially full of Marines.
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 4:42 pm

You still playing Tau for 40K CJ? Cause a mobile shooty army (Tau) or a serious counter/assault army (Blood Angels) would give me a run for my money.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptyThu Apr 17, 2008 9:52 pm

Oh I would have taken that as, you will lose alot of models from heavy weaponry or something... so i was looking for more of an explanation.
Back to top Go down
Scav
Initiate
Initiate
Scav

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 10:16 am

i feel putting in the dreadnoughts helps your list a lot.. but possibly make them shooty and play them on the board at the beginning with the devs. My fear is that turn 1 your dev's will not survive.

i love the fluff though and definitely think it could give lists a hard time.

steve this list would give you a real hard time if he is smart enough to hide his devs out of LOS for first turn.

excellent fix... but if i had one more suggestion i would maybe add a dedicated CC unit. im not a marine expert.. but im a marine killer expert Wink or at least i would like to think so haha, and i guess i would suggest a unit you can drop in a pod behind a few of your shooty marines to help them not get bogged down... or is that what your intention is for the dreads?
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 11:05 am

ryanscav wrote:
..but im a marine killer expert Wink

You just like tossing that bait dont you Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drop Pod list for tourney   Drop Pod list for tourney Empty

Back to top Go down

Drop Pod list for tourney
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next