CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

the greater good

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhino-182
Initiate
Initiate
Rhino-182

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: the greater good   the greater good EmptyFri Sep 07, 2007 5:13 pm

the tau's moto is "for the greater good". i would like to think that the greater good is saving the galaxy, but what do you think the greater good really is? scratch
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: Re: the greater good   the greater good EmptyFri Sep 07, 2007 5:22 pm

A reaching of perfection of the soul. Sort of like what some religions believe in (can't think of them at the moment). If the tau ever get warp capabilities (and the idea of chaos tau comes up) I am sure that it will be a lot harder for them to reach the "Greater Good."
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: Re: the greater good   the greater good EmptyFri Sep 07, 2007 6:46 pm

Greater Good refers the Tau's belief in everyone working together to benefit the Empire. This communist belief puts them in stark contrast to the Imperials as with the Imperium there is often in-fighting and back-stabbing.

Like Nathan said however, if/when they discover warp travel. They will be tempted by Chaos meaning people will start to think only for themselves, etc.

Commander Farsight already went down his own path...

Their current expansion is very similar to the expansion of the Imperium during the time of the Great Crusade... and we all know how that one ended. Although the Tau are going much slower than the Primarchs and their legions did... mainly due to the lack of warp travel (also the reason they have yet to meet chaos face to face).

I believe Tau are also said to be psychic blanks, meaning they have no psyker abilities... So even if they do discover warp travel, it remains to be seen if Chaos will have an easier or a harder time swaying them over.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com
Rhino-182
Initiate
Initiate
Rhino-182

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: Re: the greater good   the greater good EmptyFri Sep 07, 2007 8:52 pm

once the chaos tau come of existance, will they learn psychic powers from chaos?

if they have civil wars, will they have masive tech advances within the mighty empire?

Last edited by on Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: Re: the greater good   the greater good EmptyFri Sep 07, 2007 10:57 pm

Who knows man? But we can all dream of the day that the disgusting race of the galaxy tears itself apart via Chaos.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: Re: the greater good   the greater good EmptySat Sep 08, 2007 12:12 am

GW like to maintain the belief that they will progress the story in a massive way... But it barely ever actually changes.
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: Re: the greater good   the greater good EmptySat Sep 08, 2007 2:38 pm

Of course, Tau are not true psychic blanks. If they were then they would also disrupt the warp magic going on around them, just like Ciaphus Cain's assistant, Jergan. That could be an idea for the next Tau codex, they all get some sort of save versus psychic powers.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: Re: the greater good   the greater good EmptySat Sep 08, 2007 4:09 pm

Yeah Eisenorn had an ally for a while named Bequin who did the same. she was a blank but also made it so psykers could do nothing around her.
Back to top Go down
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: Re: the greater good   the greater good EmptySat Sep 08, 2007 4:32 pm

That seems to me to not just "blank" but more null, where they cancel out psychic energy in their area. I think the Tau represent a better blank, where they don't register in the warp one way or another. I personally hope that they prove extremely resistant/unuseful to chaos and remain one of the races without a chaos counterpart.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: Re: the greater good   the greater good EmptySat Sep 08, 2007 5:48 pm

exactly, just GW/The BL mix their wording. Sometimes calling it blank, sometimes null.

I agree, I hope there is never Chaos Tau

Last edited by on Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rhino-182
Initiate
Initiate
Rhino-182

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: Re: the greater good   the greater good EmptySat Sep 08, 2007 10:23 pm

i'm with matt and jmarv
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: Re: the greater good   the greater good EmptySat Sep 08, 2007 11:22 pm

Doesn't matter much to me, I just want the Tau race to die out (which won't happen because it will piss off too many GW fans).
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: Re: the greater good   the greater good EmptySat Sep 08, 2007 11:43 pm

Yeah that won't happen. Why such hatred?
Back to top Go down
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: Re: the greater good   the greater good EmptySun Sep 09, 2007 7:20 am

Yeah Nathan, what's up with that? I think the Tau are a very flavorful addition to the 40K universe, they're not a copy of any other race and seem unique and fun to play to me.
Back to top Go down
Rhino-182
Initiate
Initiate
Rhino-182

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: Re: the greater good   the greater good EmptySun Sep 09, 2007 8:37 am

nathan, i think the tau have the coolest looking models in the game. not all people (including me) play tau by sitting back and shooting.

if you can tell me why you hate them so much, mabye we can come to an agreement
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: Re: the greater good   the greater good EmptySun Sep 09, 2007 10:40 am

It has something to do with them looking and, in essence, feeling like the Japanese Anime that I hate soooooooo much. Can't really explain why, but suffice to say there is an anime club at my school and if they had a hit list, I would be the #1 target.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: Re: the greater good   the greater good EmptySun Sep 09, 2007 2:44 pm

Ah highschool drama... It's much easier to be nautral Nathan. Haha

Tau do look slightly anime-ish. I think that is what makes them stand out so much in the 40k universe. Like John, I like that they aren't a copy of another race.
Back to top Go down
Rhino-182
Initiate
Initiate
Rhino-182

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: Re: the greater good   the greater good EmptySun Sep 09, 2007 5:34 pm

me too
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: Re: the greater good   the greater good EmptySun Sep 09, 2007 8:02 pm

Still going to hate them. Nuetrality is not something that I do very well (most of the time).
Back to top Go down
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: Re: the greater good   the greater good EmptySun Sep 09, 2007 8:57 pm

You should practice, it helps in the real world.
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: Re: the greater good   the greater good EmptySun Sep 09, 2007 9:36 pm

Ehhhhh. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: Re: the greater good   the greater good EmptySun Sep 09, 2007 10:16 pm

haha, well said John
Back to top Go down
Tyler
Neophyte

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: Re: the greater good   the greater good EmptyWed Sep 26, 2007 10:44 pm

I don't like that Tau myself, mainly becuase all the people I know use them very cheaply and make there army in a way that it is not even like fun to play. In a game with the Tau I either slaughter them or they slaughter me, and I don't like that, I don't care if I lose as long as it is a good game.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/chaosmarine195
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: Re: the greater good   the greater good EmptyThu Sep 27, 2007 9:24 am

Tyler, this is a fluff discussion remember.

*Closed*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

the greater good Empty
PostSubject: Re: the greater good   the greater good Empty

Back to top Go down

the greater good
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Warhammer 40k :: 40k Fluff Discussion-
Jump to: