CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions Empty
PostSubject: Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions   Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions EmptyWed May 21, 2008 8:58 am

OK - So I have this old school box of termies and combined with the information in the current codex I believe I can use them in this fashion.

For a look at the box set it is here.

http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2016smterminators.htm

The box will make 1 HQ squad of 8 figs

Characters
1 - termie captain w/ storm bolter/Power Fist - (135)
1 - termie Librarian (codicier) w/ storm bolter/force ax/combat shield - (140)

Command Squad - 275
1 - termie sgt w/storm bolter/power sword
1 - termie w/ assault cannon
1 - termie w/ Flamer
2 - termie w/ storm bolter and power fist
1 - termie w/ stormbolter and chain fist

1. Is this a legal construction for HQ command squad (using 1 HQ slot)?
2. The captain model also has a sword modeled on him. Can you give him 3 weapons (adding the power weapon)? I don't believe so reading the rules.
3. Any opinions on the effectiveness of this squad? Is it a point sink?
Back to top Go down
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

PostSubject: Re: Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions   Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions EmptyWed May 21, 2008 9:42 am

jgemrich wrote:
1. Is this a legal construction for HQ command squad (using 1 HQ slot)?
Yes. Character + Command Squad = 1 HQ slot
jgemrich wrote:
2. The captain model also has a sword modeled on him. Can you give him 3 weapons (adding the power weapon)? I don't believe so reading the rules.
Correct. Only two weapons one of which can be two-handed. Three weapons on a single character generally is not an option. I used to juice up IG commanders with Storm Bolters, Plasma Pistol, and a Power Sword.
jgemrich wrote:
3. Any opinions on the effectiveness of this squad? Is it a point sink?
Depends. It is point heavey and if the opponent has good AP2 or excellent Power Weapon options can it be a liablitly. But on a board heavy with area terrain they can do pretty well holding an objective.

The whole thing is subjective. My IG without any Demolishers near them would have to burn Lascannon shots or hope for a plasma heavy Storm Trooper squad to get in that 12 inch range. That's rough for the IG.

On the flip side Genestealers or Grey Knights would tear right through them.

I would only be concerned if you started to try and max out the number of Termies. A mid size squad should have some kind of tactical use in most battles. You might consider axing the Heavy Flamer for another Assault Cannon if you know there will be alot of range combat.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions   Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions EmptyWed May 21, 2008 10:59 am

Quote :

Having a power fist on a character with Initiative 5 is normally considered a waste. This is because it wastes the characters higher initiative as he will always swing at I1 with the fist.

Much better to go with lightning claws or a power sword, so that he can swing before most opponents.

Quote :

Looks good. Remember you get to pick what powers he has too.

Quote :
1 - termie w/ Flamer

I would only go with the one heavy weapon, as in 5th edition the squad will only be allowed one (like it is in the already updated blood and dark angel books).

So I would drop the flamer (you really only get to shoot it once because of its range) and add another storm bolter power fist man.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions   Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions EmptyWed May 21, 2008 12:35 pm

Matt wrote:
Quote :

Having a power fist on a character with Initiative 5 is normally considered a waste. This is because it wastes the characters higher initiative as he will always swing at I1 with the fist.

Much better to go with lightning claws or a power sword, so that he can swing before most opponents.

So...the model alredy has a sword on it albeit sheathed. with WYSIWYG would it be satisfactory to indicate the power sword as the option. Might have to look at the claws though.

Matt wrote:
Quote :

Looks good. Remember you get to pick what powers he has too.

Yep...I was just listing equipment.

Matt wrote:
Quote :
1 - termie w/ Flamer

I would only go with the one heavy weapon, as in 5th edition the squad will only be allowed one (like it is in the already updated blood and dark angel books).

So I would drop the flamer (you really only get to shoot it once because of its range) and add another storm bolter power fist man.
Sounds like dropping the flamer is the way to go. It brings the command squad down to the standard 5 man unit.

Thanks for the feedback Bob and Matt
Back to top Go down
JTPitt
Sergeant
Sergeant
JTPitt

PostSubject: Re: Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions   Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions EmptyWed May 21, 2008 12:58 pm

So you steppin into the 40k world?
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions   Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions EmptyWed May 21, 2008 1:02 pm

Bob and Matt covered it. I just wanted to add that I'm sure the bases that you have are the 25mm round and just to note they should be mounted on the 40mm round. Keeps them up to par range wise along with juicy room for modeling opportunity.

Nice to see those older minis creep out from the past John.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions   Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions EmptyWed May 21, 2008 1:36 pm

Quote :
So...the model alredy has a sword on it albeit sheathed. with WYSIWYG would it be satisfactory to indicate the power sword as the option.

Sure would.

Quote :
note they should be mounted on the 40mm round

Technically, to be legal they need to be mounted on the base they were supplied with, so the 25mm ones are ok. Although some players might be ticked off... There are pros/cons game wise to both base sizes... so not a big deal.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions   Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions EmptyWed May 21, 2008 3:25 pm

Matt wrote:

Technically, to be legal they need to be mounted on the base they were supplied with, so the 25mm ones are ok. Although some players might be ticked off... There are pros/cons game wise to both base sizes... so not a big deal.

Don't you measure from the base center anyways? Meh. My opinion on base size has always been....I'm closer to you by 7.5mm and you are closer to me by 7.5mm. I don't think that will determine whether I win or lose. However if it does....winner buys the beer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions   Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions EmptyWed May 21, 2008 3:33 pm

JTPitt wrote:
So you steppin into the 40k world?

I was forced too...shhhh don't tell.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions   Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions EmptyWed May 21, 2008 3:34 pm

Matt wrote:

Don't you measure from the base center anyways? Meh. My opinion on base size has always been....I'm closer to you by 7.5mm and you are closer to me by 7.5mm. I don't think that will determine whether I win or lose. However if it does....winner buys the beer.

For bases I was going to move them up to the 40s. I've got some of the Desert wasteland Dragonforge bases for a swap with Jeff W and might try them out.

Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions Wasteland%202%20group%20shot

Here is the real question...I've got one of these....Do I have to put it on the square 50mm it came with? lol!

http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2024smdreadnoughts-h.htm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions   Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Space Marine Termie Command Squad NooB Questions
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Warhammer 40k :: 40k Rules Questions & Discussion-
Jump to: