CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves. Empty
PostSubject: 13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves.   13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves. EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 9:05 am

So I had a games with Marc last night versus his Tau army from the WoHaG tourny last year. We played a king of the hill mission with a central objective (large rock) which gave you the VPs of each squad you had within 12" of it. The mission also had escalation.

So I thought this might be ok, since I have a scout army, everything but my new lord on a bike will start on the board while Marc only got his fire warriors, kroot and steal suits. I also had chooser of the slain to mess up his infiltrate rolls. But apparently the Tau were very sneaky so none of his infiltrators were bothered.

Marc one first turn and basically just shot up my wolf pack, but didn't kill completely. So far so good.

On my turn my wolves charged the steal suits and my rune priest teleported with a melta squad between the firewarriors and one of the kroot squads hiding in the terrain. The gated squad killed the firewarriors but the 4 remaining wolves were only able to kill one stealth suit while taking 3 wounds on their own, so -4 they broke and ran. I think I also killed a few kroot.

And now the death started. All of Marc's army came in same two hammerheads and the piranha which he forgot to role for. Great. The combined fire of the suits killed all but the powerfist in my gated squad and the railgun submuntions and missiles started thinning out my other squads.

The rune priest gated back to the main pack, while the storm claws and my plasma squad tried to limit their LOS to any tau units. The other melta squad advanced on the left toward the stealth suits and the other unit of kroot. (Kroot held terrain in the corners) Marc had jumped one of his crisis suit squads with a Shas'O in it further away from the lone powerfist who chased after. However this brought them around a rock and into line of sight with the long fangs who proceeded to instant kill the Shas'O and one of his bodygaurds! The powerfist made it into combat and made his saves against the suit and proceeded to give it 5 S8 wounds. Rolling a 1 for massacre, he waited to die.

My lord came on from reserves and turbo-boosted up the left side of the board out of LOS from most tau units and waited to try and roll his lines. Oh and I killed a steal suit with a melta gun.

Next turn the rest of Marc forces arrived. I just wasn't going to catch a break. The hammerheads proceeded to whittle down my numbers with their horrendous firepower. The missile pods and such barely managed to kill the lone powerfister, who made about 4 more saves before succumbing.

On my turn the five guys left in the remaining melta squad killed the stealth suits and my lord charged into terrain to kill some kroot. But failed his dangerous terrain test twice! (skilled riders. I think I didn't really shake the die enough the second time, just picked up the one and dropped in right back down. I may have to use chads two die rolling thing) He still killed 7 kroot, although only 5 were in range, but they bolted and I consilidated about 7" inside the terrain to stay out of sight. I think the long fangs took some more pot shots at something. My rune priest gated the remnants of the storm claws squad (2 fists, 2 plas pistol) over behind the kroot (which then died) and next to a hammerhead, but even into the side armor, they couldn't do anything.

Marc then peeled off all the storm claws with missile thingies and then railgunned the rune priest. Well he worked hard, but couldn't accomplish much. I don't think much else happened.

To summarize the next couple of turns, my melta guns blew all the weapons off one of the hammerheads, but couldn't kill it. My lord couldn't get to another squad of crisis suits, and got mowed down by plasma (also thanks to the stupid dangerous terrain roll) Thanks to some excellently placed rocks the long fangs were able to instant kill some more crisis suits, but all in all I was slaughtered and he had most of his stuff left on the board.

To summarize, I couldn't get to/survive the trip to Marc's lines without being torn apart by Tau weaponry. I'm not really sure what I could have done other than get luckier. Tau might just be an anathema for me.
Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: 13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves.   13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves. EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 11:49 am

THANK GOD HE'S NOT PLAYING IN THE TOURNY...LOL
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: 13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves.   13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves. EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 12:43 pm

The list Marc ran is the dreaded Mecha Tau list.

One of the big 3 as far as power armies. I think my DeathGuard list was the only one that handled it in the tournament (I had prior experience, and learned from my mistakes).

It's almost impossible to defeat with a foot slogging list. Just a tough nut to crack.

...Here's to hoping it gets sold soon!

As always John, thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

PostSubject: Re: 13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves.   13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves. EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 1:27 pm

You're welcome Matt.

Upon further reflection, I didn't really have enough end game comments, so here are some more that I thought of. I tried to use my Storm claw squad to hold the center objective, supported by the plasma gun squad. In retrospect I should have probably just bum-rushed all my guys towards his side of the board so that after one of his turns of slaughtering I could maybe get a charge in.

The new and improved Lord on Bike was definitely an improvement over the old lord slowly meandering around in terminator armor and storm boltering things. What do people think of dual lightning claws versus a +1S power weapon? Same points cost. Claws do slightly better against troops, S5 allows for wounding of T7 and Armor 11 things.

Maybe if I had had first turn and just ran across the board to try and get him things might have been different. Might have. But then he could of always deep striked the suits too. In a tournament my best course of action might be to just hide behind cover all game and take the minor loss instead of getting massacred.
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: 13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves.   13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves. EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 2:52 pm

Well done John! A solid read once again.

Sadly, I meant to take pics for your report Sad Next time for sure.

A good game with a fantastic player.
Smooth rules querys, positive conversation and even a few laughs.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

PostSubject: Re: 13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves.   13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves. EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 3:01 pm

Yeah, at one point I even reminded Marc to jump his crisis suits away during his assault phase. If I hadn't my lord could have caught them. I really need to remember not to be so sporting at the tournament Smile .
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: 13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves.   13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves. EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 3:04 pm

T7 is pretty rare in he 40k world. Same as Armour 11, it normally jumps from either light (10) to something heavier(13/14).

Pretty minimal imo, I like the claws (even if they will be a trouble to model).

Glad to hear the bike lord worked out! Think anymore about the bike squad (haha, I'm pushy)?

Seems like, as you said, you have to take a big hit just to get stuck in. Which is rough with a (somewhat) low model count army.

Marc: shame on you for no photos!
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: 13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves.   13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves. EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 3:06 pm

JMarv wrote:
Yeah, at one point I even reminded Marc to jump his crisis suits away during his assault phase. If I hadn't my lord could have caught them. I really need to remember not to be so sporting at the tournament Smile .

Thats right!

Nice guys finish 2nd Laughing

Matt reminded me as well on one phase at the WoHG tourney.
He pasted me anyways..
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

PostSubject: Re: 13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves.   13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves. EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 3:39 pm

John, nice report. Little sketchy with your list right now, but I'll check when I can. To model your lord with claws, you should do what Matt suggested and find some way to make him look like he is jumping off the bike and leaping for something/one.
Back to top Go down
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

PostSubject: Re: 13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves.   13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves. EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 3:41 pm

It's the same list that's posted back in the army list area. Yeah long term I think I'm going to model him like that. Possibly with the bike coming down an incline and tilted forward, with him leaping out from the bike. But for the tourny just something that is passable as lightning claws.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: 13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves.   13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves. EmptyThu Sep 13, 2007 4:35 pm

Yeah, that is one hell of a conversion to have on your plate too. Won't be easy at all.

Funny you and Marc mentioned him not moving the suits... I considered not letting him move them in the tournament. But I valued his friendship more... Haha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves.   13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves. Empty

Back to top Go down

13th vs. Tau - The slaughter of the space wolves.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: General :: Battle Reports-
Jump to: