A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Special Character: Approve or Disapprove

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Do you approve or disapprove use of this special character?
Yes
20%
 20% [ 2 ]
No
80%
 80% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
Chethrok_Bloodfist
Neophyte

PostSubject: Special Character: Approve or Disapprove   Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:16 pm

Hi everyone, I'm running this poll to see what everyone thinks of my Ultramarine army's commander, a special character called Captain Torn. He's fully legal for play in the GW store I come from (that is to say, I didn't need my opponents' permission), and the manager there thought he was well balanced. He's definitely up there with the most powerful special characters, but his points cost reflects that (almost as much as a Land Raider, exceeds points cost of most single characters/monstrous creatures out there). His abilities and wargear were mainly earned through the experience system our store used for the Eye of Terror campaign several years ago. Please let me know if you think he should be useable in games or not. If not, let me know what you think should be changed.

Captain Torn

Captain Derrick Torn is a Captain of the Ultramarines Chapter with a long and distinguished record of service to the Imperium. He has won innumerable battles against countless opponents, but his most distinguished accomplishment is the defense of the planet Andruin during the 13th Black Crusade. Captain Torn was originally appointed one of two Lord Generals of the Imperial defense of Andruin, but his counterpart was corrupted into the service of Chaos, leaving Torn with sole command of the Andruin campaign. In the ruins of an old Ecclesiarchy temple, Torn found an ancient suit of power armor known as the Armor of Souls, and protected by its power he slew Daemon Princes and Tyranid Hive Tyrants alike. Despite numerous setbacks and overwhelming odds, Captain Torn held out long enough for the Imperial fleet to break the Chaos blockade. However, his efforts and those of all the Imperial defenders were valiant but futile Ė the Chaos hordes were just too numerous. The Fleet evacuated Torn and the remaining defenders, then declared Exterminatus and virus-bombed the planet. While his efforts were valiant and his deeds legendary, he blames himself for the loss of Andruin, believing that if he had held more of the planet High Command would not have declared Andruin a lost cause. Ever since Andruin, Captain Torn has borne a deep hatred for Chaos, and to this day brings the Emperorís justice swiftly to any heretics that cross his path.

Profile//Pts // WS // BS // S // T // W // I // A // Ld // Sv
Torn //230 // 5 // 5 //5(10)// 4 // 4 // 5 // 4 // 10 // 2+/5+
Weapons and Wargear: Bolt pistol, master-crafted power fist, Armor of Souls, bionics, frag grenades, purity seals, Terminator Honors (bonus included above).

Special Rules:
Armor of Souls: This ancient and powerful artifact was once worn by a head of the Ecclesiarchy. It confers a 2+ armor save and a 5+ Invulnerable save, and allows the wearer to ignore the first wound he suffers in each Assault phase. The Armor of Souls counts as an artifact, so any army led by Captain Torn will not be able to choose a relic or artifact from the Armory.

Rites of Battle: As Space Marine Commanders (see page 28 of Codex: Space Marines).

Battle Honors: Captain Torn has suffered many grievous wounds fighting in the name of the Imperium, and still fights on. Captain Torn counts as being equipped with a Medallion Crimson. He will thus ignore the Instant Death rule once per battle.

Never Give Up: Captain Tornís bravery in the face of overwhelming odds is known throughout the Cadian Gate. Captain Torn, and any unit he joins, may re-roll failed Morale and Pinning checks they are called upon to make.

Hatred: Captain Torn harbors a deep hatred for Chaos and all that it stands for. If he is able to assault a Chaos model he must do so. In addition, he hits all Chaos models, including Daemons and independent characters, on a 3+ in close combat. However, all Chaos models hit him on a 3+ as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Special Character: Approve or Disapprove   Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:55 pm

Is he a legit character in the IA Forgeworld books? Or in the apocolypse books?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Matt
CAG Founder

PostSubject: Re: Special Character: Approve or Disapprove   Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:10 pm

He is made up I believe.

I wouldn't play against it. But i'm a cynical old (but really, young) bastard.

If you want to use home made fluff, for complete impartiality i suggest finding a character that already exists for your army and using their rules "counts as" style.

Draw - 2 (The 13th hold out in alpha take and hold)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cincycag.forumotion.com
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Special Character: Approve or Disapprove   Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:26 pm

However......must be approved........egh.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Matt
CAG Founder

PostSubject: Re: Special Character: Approve or Disapprove   Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:58 pm

special characters never have to be approved, and haven't since they got rid of that wording.

In 5th you don't need approval at all.

Last edited by Matt on Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Special Character: Approve or Disapprove   Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:06 pm

I so need to go buy my rulebook.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Matt
CAG Founder

PostSubject: Re: Special Character: Approve or Disapprove   Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:24 pm

well they started to phase the wording out some time around the DA book i think. Maybe a bit earlier, not sure.

Back to top Go down
Chethrok_Bloodfist
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: Special Character: Approve or Disapprove   Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:40 am

Matt wrote:
He is made up I believe.

I wouldn't play against it. But i'm a cynical old (but really, young) bastard.

If you want to use home made fluff, for complete impartiality i suggest finding a character that already exists for your army and using their rules "counts as" style.

Well, I completely understand the (so far, unilateral) desire to not play against him. Fair enough. As for doing a "counts as," I think that's kind of lame and doesn't provide the same unique flavor of having a homebrew character. I don't pull him out often anyways, I suppose Captain Torn will need to stand at the sidelines for the time being. Would upping his points cost be a suitable compensation? 240? 250? 260?

@Matt: That cool GW manager I was talking about in another thread was big into character development. He wanted every player to get attached to their army commander and develop a story for them. All of his background fluff is based on the actual events of the Eye of Terror campaign (which is a story in itself). Needless to say, I've gotten quite attached to him, and I wouldn't want to represent him with a simple Space Marine Commander, or even Marneus Calgar (well, Marneus Calgar would come close).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fenix
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: Special Character: Approve or Disapprove   Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:27 am

I like what you did with your character.

As for overall special character rules some I think you need to ask your opponent to use. The C'tan come to mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/Xenix?ref=profile
Matt
CAG Founder

PostSubject: Re: Special Character: Approve or Disapprove   Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:07 pm

Perhaps in the new codex there will be a character you want to use for "counts as" purposes.

Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Special Character: Approve or Disapprove   Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:05 am

I'll play against it. Who cares, it's just a game! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.aowcinci.com
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Special Character: Approve or Disapprove   Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:30 pm

I would play against it based on one thing and one thing alone.

Do you have a unique (not necesarily scratch-built, but it helps)model?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chethrok_Bloodfist
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: Special Character: Approve or Disapprove   Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:41 pm

Yeah, I have a unique model. He's got a kustom paint job and he's mounted on a 40mm base.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Special Character: Approve or Disapprove   Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:05 am

Then yes! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Special Character: Approve or Disapprove   Today at 7:47 pm

Back to top Go down

Special Character: Approve or Disapprove
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1