CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

1750 Guard Army, 5th ed.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Preter
Neophyte
Preter

1750 Guard Army, 5th ed. Empty
PostSubject: 1750 Guard Army, 5th ed.   1750 Guard Army, 5th ed. EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 3:38 pm

Well after reading through the fifth edition rulebook it seems to me that a kasrkin army of minium squad mates and maximum plasma guns isn't going to last too long. So I've been tossing around various guard ideas, still trying to find a good list that will last me. I am currently in love with the vostroyan guard models and their cossack look but upon reading their truly horrendous choice of doctrines (I know they are gone in the next codex, but I dont want to wait until march to make my army) I decided that such rustic russian looking models would make a cool army based around the Royal Scourges of Sepheris Secundus (Dark Heresy anyone?), a planet that is going to play heavily in my upcoming campaign. Anyway this is what I came up with:

Doctrines: Carapace Armor, Veterans, Grenadiers, Ratlings, Iron Discipline

HQ

Command Squad - Bolter, Plasmagun, Iron Discipline, Carapace Armor - 76 pts

Sentinel - Multilaser - 45

TROOPS

4 Stormtrooper Squads - 10 man, 2x Plasmagun - 120x4

Chimera - Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers, 2x Heavy Bolters - 93

ELITES

Ratlings - 10 man - 110

2 Hardened Veterans Squads - 10 man, Carapace Armor, 3x Plasma - 135x2

FAST ATTACK

3 Sentinels - Lascannon - 55x3

HEAVY SUPPORT

Basilisk - Indirect Fire - 125

2 Leman Russ Demolishers - Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers, Sponson Plasma Cannons - 193x2
Back to top Go down
Chethrok_Bloodfist
Neophyte
Chethrok_Bloodfist

1750 Guard Army, 5th ed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1750 Guard Army, 5th ed.   1750 Guard Army, 5th ed. EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 5:41 pm

Here's my feedback:

- The biggest issue I see is the lack of anti-tank weaponry. Plasma guns are great, but they falter against vehicles, and a 1750 list needs more than just a few Sentinels with lascannons. Mounting expensive heavy weapons on fragile vehicles will only make them a prime target - they won't last very long. The Demolisher cannons can be useful against vehicles, but their short range and potential to scatter makes them less than reliable. I'd suggest tooling up one of the Veteran squads with meltaguns and infiltrating close to enemy tanks, or perhaps throwing in an anti-tank squad with lascannons.

- This army has powerful mid-range firepower but not a lot of long-range potential, which poses an interesting dilemma. Against shooty armies, this force will need to move forward at least once before getting into weapons range, while the enemy will generally be able to fire effectively from turn 1. Against assault armies, you'll have less time to cause enough casualties to stop the enemy. Either way, you're going to need to play carefully. I'd suggest a few power weapons to at least give yourself a spitting chance in assault (only 11 points for a Veteran Storm Trooper Sergeant w/ power weapon).

- Plasma cannons on a Leman Russ Demolisher fit the theme, but are quite expensive points-wise and may not come into play that often. Let's face it, if you have the opportunity to fire a Demolisher cannon, there's no reason not to take it, and if you fire that bad boy, the plasma cannons are sitting idly by. You could sit back 36" away and snipe with the plasma cannons, but that's really a waste of points, and standard Leman Russ tanks would be better at that.
Back to top Go down

1750 Guard Army, 5th ed.
Page 1 of 1