A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

The wife and 40k

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HAND OF DUME
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: The wife and 40k   Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:48 pm

After years of torturing abuse from the wife for being a "dork" and playing "those" games, she has decided to give 40k a try. Eldar is her choice because they are sleek and people seem to win with them. I'm not sure if it's a reason to connect more with my son and myself or what. We'll see what happens, as of now she is having problems understanding the rules. My son tries to explain stuff to her,but with 5th just coming out, he is wrong on some aspects. Only time will tell and even if it doesn't work out for her or there is little interest, it means an Eldar army for me!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JMarv
The MathHammer

PostSubject: Re: The wife and 40k   Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:52 pm

Good luck! I would love to get my wife to play as well, but I'm not sure she ever will.

Who is going to be doing the painting and building you or her?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The wife and 40k   Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:01 pm

I like my alone time. I'm glad the wife has very little interest but a whole lot of patience.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder

PostSubject: Re: The wife and 40k   Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:12 pm

Quote :
I like my alone time. I'm glad the wife has very little interest but a whole lot of patience.

I'm with John on this one! Although exchange wife for girlfriend Wink

Good luck! I think the easiest way to learn is to just play... perhaps the Macragge scenarios just retrofitted for 5th edition.

Draw - 2 (The 13th hold out in alpha take and hold)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cincycag.forumotion.com
HAND OF DUME
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: The wife and 40k   Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:42 pm

I'll be doing the building/painting (as usual). I'm still working on my boy's bugs and trying to finish my Death guard.

As far as the "alone" time, she will only be playing at home with myself or the boy. She's still afraid to go to a store and "come out of the closet", so stores and tourneys and such will exclude her. Who knows, it may end up not being her "thing". But like I said, if she chooses not to play then the Eldar force becomes mine. We just recieved the wind rider host box set from GW and we got an old battleforce set from ebay. I'm tailoring the army to my likes and if she decides she likes to play, then we can tailor it her way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Matt
CAG Founder

PostSubject: Re: The wife and 40k   Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:14 pm

haha, nicely done!

a Sam-Hain force?

Back to top Go down
HAND OF DUME
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: The wife and 40k   Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:44 pm

You got it Matt! Quickstrike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Matt
CAG Founder

PostSubject: Re: The wife and 40k   Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:54 pm

Nice, should be fun!

It'll be pretty too!

Back to top Go down
HAND OF DUME
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: The wife and 40k   Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:29 pm

Thanks man. Pretty and 40k don't seem to mesh in my world... well maybe with Eldar. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cherry Darling
Forum Matriarch

PostSubject: Re: The wife and 40k   Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:51 pm

In this case, I am the wife, but he plays. I like to get involved some and he really wants me involved more but I'm really not that interested in playing. It's nice to have the knowledge but I enjoy the painting aspect. That's about it for me. We can spend time together and apart in all instances. I like him having his time to do his thing anyway. Besides he already tricked the sister and sister in law into it. Laughing

HAND OF DUME
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: The wife and 40k   Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:13 pm

@ Cherry
With the interest in painting and rules knowledge, why not the appeal towards playing. It would seem that they all should go hand in hand. Most have the appeal to play without the appeal to paint.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scav
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: The wife and 40k   Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:30 pm

aaah good luck man its a real rewarding army to play.. and gorgeous too.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HAND OF DUME
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: The wife and 40k   Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:43 pm

@ Ryanscav
Whoever's army it will evently become, I want to take my time to paint it, unlike the other painting projects that seem to be just an assembly line of models to get done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: The wife and 40k   Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

congrats on getting the wife interested. My wife played all the games I played a long time ago (she's real tied up with getting the masters degree right now) and it's really rewarding to have spousal interest in what you do. I really don't do much else then game, Taekwondo, and work, so it's healthy for us to share the gaming world.

Just make sure you start her slow. When I was first getting her into the hobby, I went a little overboard and confused her more times than not. Imagine trying to explain every rule and every option to someone during their first game. It's just too much! What a Face

Good luck man!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.aowcinci.com
Marc
Fantasy Moderator

PostSubject: Re: The wife and 40k   Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:43 am

John Gemrich wrote:
I'm glad the wife has very little interest but a whole lot of patience.
QFT!

Besides all the little ones running amuck me and the wife have connected with football. We have had Colts season tickets since '99 and this year she is getting into Fantasy Football. Good times..

I did have her play me a good old Axis & Allies board game once. She castled in Russia as I bounced off her infantry. She called it boring Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cincycag.forumotion.com/

PostSubject: Re: The wife and 40k   Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:46 am

HAND OF DUME wrote:
@ Cherry
With the interest in painting and rules knowledge, why not the appeal towards playing. It would seem that they all should go hand in hand. Most have the appeal to play without the appeal to paint.

Boy...I really find these pursuits completely separate. They even fill different niches in my life. One is very social (gaming) while the painting tends to be a solo pursuit.

I painted for years before I found a game I liked and really wanted to play and I still enjoy the painting about 20x more then gaming.

I could really take or leave the gaming but I would still need a social pursuit in my life. So whether it is golfing w/ a group of guys, watching Sunday football, or getting together for some table top games it fills that niche. I can't count the number of times a buddy came over to get a game in and we spent more time with a beer and cigar on the back porch rather then playing.
Back to top Go down
JTPitt
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: The wife and 40k   Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:58 am

Didn't we do something like that when we were doing the painting John.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The wife and 40k   Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:11 am

JTPitt wrote:
Didn't we do something like that when we were doing the painting John.

Yep. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JTPitt
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: The wife and 40k   Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:48 am

lol good times
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wolfman
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: The wife and 40k   Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:03 pm

I got my gf into the game by dragging her in by her teeth mainly. She def likes the painting more than the playing, but i figure one time she's at work i'll borrow her army. Hell some of the units came outa my pocket anyway lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/wolfhunters_den
Cherry Darling
Forum Matriarch

PostSubject: Re: The wife and 40k   Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:20 pm

John Gemrich wrote:
HAND OF DUME wrote:
@ Cherry

Boy...I really find these pursuits completely separate. They even fill different niches in my life. One is very social (gaming) while the painting tends to be a solo pursuit.

I painted for years before I found a game I liked and really wanted to play and I still enjoy the painting about 20x more then gaming.

I could really take or leave the gaming but I would still need a social pursuit in my life. So whether it is golfing w/ a group of guys, watching Sunday football, or getting together for some table top games it fills that niche. I can't count the number of times a buddy came over to get a game in and we spent more time with a beer and cigar on the back porch rather then playing.

technically I haven't a cent of interest in the rules, just a little interest in the armies, who they are, and how they work, that's about as far as it goes

it is two different animals when talking about painting versus playing, Sean and I can even sit down and paint and spend time together, talking, etc., just doing that

I have my social time away from him, dancing, hanging out with friends, etc., he can have his social time gaming, whatever, etc

it's all good

Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord

PostSubject: Re: The wife and 40k   Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:25 pm

Cherry Darling wrote:
John Gemrich wrote:
HAND OF DUME wrote:
@ Cherry

technically I haven't a cent of interest in the rules, just a little interest in the armies, who they are, and how they work, that's about as far as it goes

it is two different animals when talking about painting versus playing, Sean and I can even sit down and paint and spend time together, talking, etc., just doing that

I have my social time away from him, dancing, hanging out with friends, etc., he can have his social time gaming, whatever, etc

it's all good

Yet my social thing always seems a bit more expensive stil...Wink

New times calls for new Records:
Orcs & goblins (3-1-2)
Empire (0-0-0)
6th Edition
Orks (0-0)
Marines (3-1)
Imperial Guard (0-0)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/makarithraka
methoderik
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: The wife and 40k   Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:20 pm

I tried to get the wife into gaming a little when she expressed interest.

I decided AT-43 would be the best rule set for her to learn a table game with. Easy rules and fast games.

She seemed to have interest in reading the rules, but when we actually sat down to play, her eyes were glazed over in about 10 minutes.
She did play a game of Mordheim once and had a little fun.

I consider myself pretty lucky to have a wife that accepts my hobby, and trys to show a little interest at times.

She can still embarrass the crap out of me when she grabs a couple of figs and makes "pew" "pew' noises while she makes them fight.

I more excited to share the game with my Son. Every time I take him to the War Room I tell him, "someday Son this will all be yours". I get all giddy thinking about 1,000pt games after dinner and homework with the boy.
Watch, he will probably be totally obsessed with sports and think his old man is a nerd.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The wife and 40k   Today at 5:32 am

Back to top Go down

The wife and 40k
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1