CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1*

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1* Empty
PostSubject: HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1*   HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1* EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 2:03 pm

Well well well.

First off, I head to GW's website to find the closest store to me. I find the store Game Kastle, addressed out in San Jose (not bad, about 10 minutes.)
Perfect right? Except GW haven't updated the address on the site. So that was a wasted drive. After checking the Game Kastle website i managed to point myself in the right direction!

Visited the store the day the league to scope it out. Nice place, expensive, but nice. Picked up a copy of Arkham Horror (fantasy flight games boardgame) which was a lot of fun. Then went on to inquire about the league. So 1000 points for this week, sounds good... then increases by 250 every week until 2000 points. Then back down to 1750 for the finals. Cool.

Turns out there are a group of hellfish out here too, like Hand of Dume and Kirby... man I can't get away from you guys Wink

So arrived for my first week with the following list.

Deathwing 1k

Belial

=130

Terminators (x5 w/ PF+SBx2, PW+SB, PF+AC, TLLC, one of the PF+SB is the apothecary)

=275

Terminators (x5 w/ PF+SBx3, PW+SB, PF+AC)

=245

LRC

=250

Landspeeder (w/ AC+HB)

=100

1000 points on the nose!

How the league works

We get to play up to four games a week, then you record you win on the score sheet they have. points are awarded for wins (more points for winning bigger games) and then extra points are awarded for beating someone who is ranked higher than you and so on. Pretty friendly league, nothing too hardcore. Which is nice seeing as I am playing Deathwing Wink

Game 1

First opponent looked something like this (probably going to be off a little bit)

1 winged hive tyrant
15 leapy gaunts (ok ok i'll try spell it... haumagaunt??)
10 genestealers
8 genestealers
8 genestealers
1 ravenor

Ok, from the get go i didn't like the look of the winged tyrant... deathwing no likey.

We got Dawn of War setup with Annihilation. Fun fun! (out of my 3 games at this point, 2 had been killpoints!).

Ok well killpoints help me a bit with this army (i don't give up many Wink)

We roll to see who goes first, and I make him go first. I promptly hold everything in reserve (gotta love that.) and he deploys deploys his whole army.

Tyranid first turn

He runs everything forward, sitting on my half of the board now, pretty evenly spread with the tyrant in the middle Sad

My first turn

Nothing happens!

Tyranid second turn

He runs most units forward again (silly padawan) then sits right up on my edge in a bunch of woods.

My second turn

I manage to roll Belial and his squad in, as well as the landspeeder. I drop the speeder behind his lines and drop belial and co behind (but a decent amount away from) some stealers. I open fire on the stealers with belial and co. taking them down to 3 men.

Tyranid third turn

Realizing his mistake of pressuring my board edge, dan takes his army and begins to turn a few around. In short, he manages to get his 3 stealers into assault (fleet 6 roll Wink) they put a wound on belial who promptly stomps their faces in (with a little help from the squad). HE charges my speeder with the gaunts stunning it and knocking the AC off.

My third turn - 1 KP to his 0

At this point I have taken all the damage i take this game.

I roll in the last two units, the LRC moves in 6" from the edge opposite where belial and co. are camped up.

I then drop the second termi squad much like i had with belial and co. on the opposite flank, I run the landspeeder away at flat out.

belial and co. having found a nice line around some trees shred the gaunts down to about 4 men, then the termis on the other side knock their stealer squad down to about 5 men. The LRC easily kills the Ravenor (easy KP ftw.)

The other turns condensed into one paragraph Wink

I wittle the rest of his army down, ending up with 4 kill points to his 0. Game ended on turn 5, right before my LRC was going to be eaten by a hive tyrant!

Ok so after another game of 40k

- Not sure I am a fan of killpoints (well I am a fan, but i think they hurt armies that didn't need to be hurt... IG come to mind).

- The new rules don't really slow the game down at all

- I really like the new mission structure, the deployments are all pretty different... and the objectives are fun (except killpoints *see above*)

- the reserve options, outflank and all the other small goodies that got added are very very cool.

Game 2 + 3

So... game 2 + 3 have been really boring, i don't plan to do a big write up. The second game was conceded to me after I wiped the two units in his army worth a damn... one big mistake this game was me moving my landspeeder into position and then not firing with it.

Either way... Landspeeders suck now.

The 3rd game was conceded to me after I wiped anything that could get in assault in a stealer heavy nid list. I even assaulted and smashed apart the carnifex! Fun times.

Either way, all 3 games were killpoint missions... argh!

So as it stands right now, my 3 big wins, including one against the guy on top of the league (at the time) boosted me into first place! So after 1 week in the league that has been going for 2 weeks yours truly sits on top.

You hellfish boys in Dayton need to give these hellfish boys a talking to!

Landraider in 5th = really broken in 1000 points Wink

I'll be back later this week for the 1250 point round!

Last edited by Matt on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:29 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1*   HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1* EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 3:16 pm

Solid

Looking forward to more!

..hormagaunt Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1*   HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1* EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 3:20 pm

Marc wrote:
Solid

Looking forward to more!

homogaunt? affraid

geek

Anyway, sounds awesome! Deathwing is sweet! other than they're white! Sleep boring!
Back to top Go down
http://www.aowcinci.com

PostSubject: Re: HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1*   HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1* EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 4:10 pm

Marc wrote:

I'm with you Marc. How in the hell did you get a summer gig with Apple not knowing how to spell Hormagaunt? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1*   HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1* EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 4:43 pm

doh.. I thought I clicked a wink icon after the roll.. ah well..

Matt knows I'm just messin' Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1*   HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1* EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 5:00 pm

Quote :
How in the hell did you get a summer gig with Apple not knowing how to spell Hormagaunt?

Haha, well luckily they don't ask me to write down the names of xenos species that come from beyond the galactic rim.

I would never have gotten the job otherwise Wink
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1*   HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1* EmptyFri Aug 08, 2008 12:02 pm

Went back for game 1 of week 2

Turns out that during our boardgaming last sunday, i somehow misplaced my dice box... no biggy if it only had dice in it. Instead it had my new counter set, which i hadn't even used yet and my brand new whirlwinds... that's right! Two of them! So that it is a cool 120 or so in a box (dice, tape measure, green counter set, big gun dice, 2 whirlwinds and the box itself.)

So with that, I ended up using a proxy whirlwind and an assault squad to bring my list up to just under 1250.

It now looks like this.

Belial

5 terms, one is an apothecary

5 terms

LRC

10 assault marines, 1 with a p.fist

1 whirlwind.

We played the mission with the two objectives (rolling this mission is like rolling a draw Wink)

He had a balanced marine gunline, with a few of the 4th Edition tricks.

libby w/ jump pack

5 assault marines accompanying the libby

2 5 man las/pas squads

two 9 man rhino squads w p.fist + melta

two scout squads with assortments of snipers, bolters and heavy bolters

1 whirlwind

Turn 1 went to my opponent, and i failed to seize the initiative (later of course.)

I opted to keep all my units in reserve, 1 term squad DS-ing and the other coming in normally.

This let him put his scouts right on my objective

Turn 1

Flew by, he moved a rhino squad up. That was about it.

Turn 2

I crushed the scout squad with the assault squad, and crippled the rhino getting close.

Belial and his squad bore the brunt of the shooting, losing 2 men. Luckily the power fist from the squad i knocked out of the rhino failed to do anything. Belial and co. sent them packing that turn.

be back more later, getting too busy Wink
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1*   HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1* EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 10:58 am

more, more bounce
Back to top Go down
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

PostSubject: Re: HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1*   HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1* EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 11:11 am

yeah, stop slacking...
Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1*   HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1* EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 12:36 pm

Shocked
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1*   HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1* EmptyTue Aug 12, 2008 1:55 pm

man, the only comments in here are made of pure hate.

I'll try get back to this tonight, and maybe some photos from this weeks league meet up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1*   HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1* Empty

Back to top Go down

HellFish League Cali Style *Updated w/Week 2 - game 1*
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: General :: Battle Reports-
Jump to: