CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

[RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS

Go down 
+3
Nathan
HAND OF DUME
Matt
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

[RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS Empty
PostSubject: [RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS   [RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 1:11 pm

Quote :
Hi guys. Here are a few more morsels from some agents in the know:

Honour Guard
Honour Guard (available to Chapter Master's only) have artificer armour, bolters, bolt pistols, grenades, and power weapons. They can replace their power weapons with relic blades (S:6, two-handed power weapons) and also have various other options such as storm shields (3+ invulnerable save against all attacks) and auxillary grenade launchers (a 12” grenade launcher that can be fired in addition to any other weapon each and every turn). Marneus Calgar allows the player to field three squads of Honour Guard instead than the standard one squad.

Tabletop Performance
Combat Tactics
Playing against this in an actual game was not bad as you can still attempt to sweep the marines (as with ATSKNF, they take wounds as if they are fearless if caught). Every time my marine opponent tried it my nasty and quick assault units caught them, and Combat Tactics only forced him to take more armour saves. If the marines had been successful more often I may have had a different opinion on Combat Tactics.

ATSKNF
This has changed a little. Marines automatically rally at the begining of their turn and can act normally (they do not count as moving, and don't get the 3" consolidate). They still can't rally if an enemy is within 6". Other than that, it's the exact same.

General Gameplay Thoughts
Overall, the game felt like I was playing a codex marine list. I'm not saying that simply because my opponent wasn't useing any of the new codex's flashy new units, but the army played like marines should. Perhaps if I get whacked by some of those new units I'll change my opinion.

FAQs
When the marine codex comes out, GW will release updated FAQs for the DA, BA and BT list making some of the changes carry over to them. ATSKNF is a good candidate for this as it is written much more cleanly in the new codex.

~As usual folks, caveat emptor. I shudder at the total cost of an Honour Guard unit kitted out with all the goodies. As for the battle report, it seems like the list may be nice and balanced after all. Our intrepid agent certainly didn't have a "sky is falling" take on the new codex after facing them on the tabletop. Your thoughts?

Looks like there is a sliver of hope for us DA/BA players!
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com
HAND OF DUME
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: [RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS   [RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 8:04 pm

Looks cool. I can't imagine what the points cost of those honour guard will be. To have 3 units also. Small army with alot of punch!
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

PostSubject: Re: [RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS   [RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 12:50 am

HAND OF DUME wrote:
To have 3 units also. Small army with alot of punch!

And almost no scoring units!
Back to top Go down
HAND OF DUME
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: [RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS   [RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 7:43 pm

A few small troop choices in rhinos to capture objectives and you're set. Your opponent will have his hands full with these guys to even worry about your "troops". Or better yet use them when playing the Annihilation mission.
Back to top Go down
Chethrok_Bloodfist
Neophyte
Chethrok_Bloodfist

PostSubject: Re: [RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS   [RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 1:26 am

HAND OF DUME wrote:
A few small troop choices in rhinos to capture objectives and you're set. Your opponent will have his hands full with these guys to even worry about your "troops". Or better yet use them when playing the Annihilation mission.

Either that, or your opponent will easily destroy your piddly little troops and focus his army on the honor guard, tying them up while his own troops claim objectives. Depending on a 1-in-3 roll to get Annihilation isn't a good bet in my book.
Back to top Go down
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate
Warmonger

PostSubject: Re: [RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS   [RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 6:56 am

I would think any general running the list that way would try keep his small troop units out of harms way, behind terrain whatever and then grap objectives in the closing turns, still seems risky to me not quite my style of play.
Back to top Go down
HAND OF DUME
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: [RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS   [RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 8:42 am

As Warmonger said, you would have to keep the troop units in a secure spot 'til they were needed, or when your opponent tries to make a run for the objectives, make your move for them also. Just because they are troops, doesn't mean they are chumps.
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: [RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS   [RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 8:56 am

Or, you could use a drop pod or two and bring them in last turn..... that way, they aren't even on the board until you need them! Smile
Back to top Go down
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

PostSubject: Re: [RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS   [RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 9:48 am

Except that you can't choose not to roll for them in reserve and when you get them you will have to deploy them.

They also must disembark when the land. You could try to have them hide in the shadow of the drop pod all game, but drop pods aren't that big.
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

PostSubject: Re: [RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS   [RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS EmptySat Aug 09, 2008 1:11 pm

Jeeze. I make one little comment and the whole board wants a piece!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS   [RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS Empty

Back to top Go down

[RUMORS] Even more Codex:SM musings from the BoLS
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: General :: News and Rumors-
Jump to: