CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dwarfs or Wood Elves?

Go down 
+7
Evil Bob
bardechh
Wolfgirl23
Makari
JMarv
FrostWolf
wittdooley
11 posters
AuthorMessage
wittdooley
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
wittdooley

Dwarfs or Wood Elves? Empty
PostSubject: Dwarfs or Wood Elves?   Dwarfs or Wood Elves? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 3:27 pm

So, I have my High Elf army, and I love it, but I want to get a second army because I've actually convinced my fiancee to try and play with me. With that in mind, we've got it narrowed down to the Dwarfs and the Wood Elves.

It seems to me that the Wood Elves are a bit more a faster attacking, hit and run-type army, whereas the Dwarfs, with their higher toughness and slower movement, are more the stand and fight type army.

With all that, which army would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs or Wood Elves?   Dwarfs or Wood Elves? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 3:48 pm

Id pick both for differnt reasons, Dwarfs have their runes and cannons and can have a semi powerful antimagic end plus have good monster killing ability, while Wood elves may be magicy their magic isnt that great, their only true ability is the tree singing and that isnt always going to be that good, the Wood elves have more flexabilty while the dwarfs can take hit after hit and keep going at times(this is from me haveing fought 2 dwarf armys at 2250 and getting beat both times)
Back to top Go down
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs or Wood Elves?   Dwarfs or Wood Elves? EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 4:16 pm

Whichever your fiancee thinks is cooler. Seriously, if you want to lure her in to playing, pick whichever one she thinks looks the best.
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs or Wood Elves?   Dwarfs or Wood Elves? EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 5:53 am

JMarv wrote:
Whichever your fiancee thinks is cooler. Seriously, if you want to lure her in to playing, pick whichever one she thinks looks the best.

JMarv Bingo! worry about the tactics later.

the only other suggestion would be to go with dwarfs if she is on the fence because they are cheaper to buy because of skull pass... just a consideration.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/makarithraka
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs or Wood Elves?   Dwarfs or Wood Elves? EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 9:52 am

dwarfs seem to have it a bit more simple on the rules due to not haveing magic but then again I have no clue how hard the runes are to figure out and use during a game
Back to top Go down
Wolfgirl23
Neophyte
Wolfgirl23

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs or Wood Elves?   Dwarfs or Wood Elves? EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 11:36 am

I may be a little bias because I love elves but... From a girls perspective go with the Elves. They have pretty "horsies", cute trees, unicorns, and are more appealing than short bearded men. Like it's been said, let her look at the pictures in the codex's or online and choose the one that is more appealing to her. That is how I chose my armies both for 40k and fantasy (with help from makari too), how JTPitts girlfriend chose hers, and how Makari's wife chose models to paint. Bring her to some of the games so she can meet with other people and see the different armies in person. Oh and we always need more CAG members so, sign her up!!
Back to top Go down
wittdooley
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
wittdooley

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs or Wood Elves?   Dwarfs or Wood Elves? EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 12:45 pm

That's what I'm thinking, too. Though it is entirely appealing that you can get so much dwarven goodness from the Skull Pass set for so inexpensive a price.
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs or Wood Elves?   Dwarfs or Wood Elves? EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 12:53 pm

if you have the skull pass let her try out the Dwarfs and proxy and try out the wood elves and see which she likes better
Back to top Go down
bardechh
Neophyte
bardechh

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs or Wood Elves?   Dwarfs or Wood Elves? EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 7:09 pm

Ehhhhh...... lets see....... EMPIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs or Wood Elves?   Dwarfs or Wood Elves? EmptyTue Aug 19, 2008 10:29 pm

Observing those who have played Dwarves in the past of all the WFB armies they are probably the one that should only play if one is a die hard universal dwarf fan.

They are an army that basically take a punch to the face and then hit back. Against an experience opponent that can get very ugly.

Not that the Wood Elves have their own challenges. Dryads my be criminally cheap (or were not sure how the new processoin of army books may challenge that) but they still don't get ranks and once combat resolution become a factor they can fold fast to hard hittin magical weapon tot'n heroes or units. With the right units to match a style of play the Wood Elves are overall better.

Just something to consider after which army is more visual pleasing.
Back to top Go down
CaptainHonkey
Neophyte
CaptainHonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs or Wood Elves?   Dwarfs or Wood Elves? EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 1:17 am

I play both armies and Wood Elves are more fun because they dont get nearly as repetative and they have magic which is a big part in the game
Back to top Go down
Sexiest_hero
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs or Wood Elves?   Dwarfs or Wood Elves? EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 5:58 am

I'd say dwarves, if she is a rough and tumble lady. My wife is an ork lover. No prancing unicorns for her. Also if she is more military minded or gadet minded or simply like short burly bearded guys.
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs or Wood Elves?   Dwarfs or Wood Elves? EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 9:07 am

dude, you cannot even compare the armies alien They are so totally different.

Woodies = 40K in fantasy world.

Dwarves = everything that makes Fantasy...well Fantasy!
Back to top Go down
http://www.aowcinci.com
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs or Wood Elves?   Dwarfs or Wood Elves? EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 4:04 pm

I do play Wood Elves but you have to plan with them. I almost never bring casters, the Wood Elf magic is very weak. Their strength is still dryads, treemmen and the best archers in the game. What is important is what your lady wants out of it. The Wood Elves are prettier, can be played several different ways and can gives as well as they get. Dwarves can win, but you end up fielding the same units and playing the same way every game.
I watched a game between a couple good friends just after the new dwarf codex was released. The Wood Elves brought lots of bows and no magic to speak of. It wasn't a pretty sight. The last couple of Dwarves declared a grudge against the Wood Elves and there was much drinking at Bugmans to mourn the slaughter of the Dwarves that day.
Back to top Go down
CaptainHonkey
Neophyte
CaptainHonkey

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs or Wood Elves?   Dwarfs or Wood Elves? EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 4:23 pm

Yeah i didnt think about that, Wood Elves do involve a lot of planning and sometimes its hard for new players
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dwarfs or Wood Elves?   Dwarfs or Wood Elves? Empty

Back to top Go down

Dwarfs or Wood Elves?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Warhammer Fantasy :: Fantasy General Discussion-
Jump to: