CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Would the ending of THE WATCHMEN actually work? INDEPENDENCE

Go down 
+3
Makari
FrostWolf
Qoltar
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Qoltar
Initiate
Initiate
Qoltar

Would the ending of THE WATCHMEN actually work? INDEPENDENCE Empty
PostSubject: Would the ending of THE WATCHMEN actually work? INDEPENDENCE   Would the ending of THE WATCHMEN actually work? INDEPENDENCE EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 2:02 am

Alright, just assume lots of * SPOILERS * in this thread......

For those of you that have read the graphic novel THE WATCHMEN or read it as the original 12-issue series....I got a question:

Would that ending scene and catastrophe in the last chapter really bring mankind together in unity the way that Veidt said it would?

Dr. Manhattan implied that it would work....

Same thought - the end of the movie INDEPENDENCE DAY sort of has the same gimmick - all of humanity teaming up together in unity because there is an alien menace that threatens all of humanity.

Again, could such a thing really bring everyone on Earth together?
What happens the day after such events?

The week after?

A Month? afterwards ...even a year after those kinds of events?

- Ed C.
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: Would the ending of THE WATCHMEN actually work? INDEPENDENCE   Would the ending of THE WATCHMEN actually work? INDEPENDENCE EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 8:29 am

It would work few a few years after that people would forget the aleins ever attacked, the only other option would be to send a group into space to go kill the alien home wolrd but thats the only reason the world would stay united
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: Would the ending of THE WATCHMEN actually work? INDEPENDENCE   Would the ending of THE WATCHMEN actually work? INDEPENDENCE EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 8:55 am

Ah but the book for independence day the humans lose, as all the ships crash land on teh planet it burns up all the oxygen... lol.

Sure it could unite the world of Politics but probably not people...
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/makarithraka
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Would the ending of THE WATCHMEN actually work? INDEPENDENCE   Would the ending of THE WATCHMEN actually work? INDEPENDENCE EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 7:32 pm

Yeah, when i read the end of watchmen i thought to myself... man that is messed up... but it would probably work.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com
Cherry Darling
Forum Matriarch
Cherry Darling

PostSubject: Re: Would the ending of THE WATCHMEN actually work? INDEPENDENCE   Would the ending of THE WATCHMEN actually work? INDEPENDENCE EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 11:15 pm

The human race forgets about differences in times of suffering. Look at any significant catastrophe and the reactions of anyone involved or surrounding it. It's more than just a possibility, it's almost an inherit instinct.

Tell me this though, is the movie really gonna portray the book well? I mean yes there's the technology to show Dr. Manhattan as the being he is and Ozymandias' "mansion", but how about the true persona of each character? There is so much narration and thought process, will the movie live up? What about Rorschach's journal? I mean the trailor looks great, but really?
Back to top Go down
Qoltar
Initiate
Initiate
Qoltar

PostSubject: Re: Would the ending of THE WATCHMEN actually work? INDEPENDENCE   Would the ending of THE WATCHMEN actually work? INDEPENDENCE EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 11:27 pm

The director has shot MORE material than what we will see on screen. He and producers are saying that the eventual DVD package will include stuff like Rorshach's journal, excerpts from Hollis Mason's book UNDER THE HOOD , as well as an animated version of the BLACK FREIGHTER comic book.

Also an alternate longer version of the movie that intercuts some of those elements so they interrupt/compliment the story in the same places that they were in the Graphic Novel.

- Ed C.
Back to top Go down
wolfman
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Would the ending of THE WATCHMEN actually work? INDEPENDENCE   Would the ending of THE WATCHMEN actually work? INDEPENDENCE EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 11:58 pm

I'd have to say no that human kind wouldn't bind together....FOR THAT LONG after a disaster unless their was some real threat still in the offing. Take 9/11 in america. For a period of time after there was a sense of patriotism and pride in america and almost every free country offered us sympathies. Now instead of everyone flying a flag we have the same as before some very patriotic others who don't care. If there was a constant threat to humanity then yes i believe that humanity would forget its differences and band together for survival. After that threat is gone however it'd be a matter of time before differences drove it apart. Eh...my twenty five cents on that matter.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/wolfhunters_den
Carl_Dillon
Forum Moderator
Carl_Dillon

PostSubject: Re: Would the ending of THE WATCHMEN actually work? INDEPENDENCE   Would the ending of THE WATCHMEN actually work? INDEPENDENCE EmptyWed Sep 03, 2008 3:16 am

Well, if its an Alien menace then I can see a push to get into space. 1. To be able to launch an effective strike prior to said menace reaching earth before we do anything. 2. If theirs habitable worlds out there then cant you see us banding together to race out and strip mine planets till they are nothing but lifeless clumps of dust.... Why would we do that? Strategy and greed. The minerals would build more war/ exploration ships and it would also not allow the alien menace to use the now lifeless rock as a staging point to attack earth.
Buuut of course once we were in space long enough the mega corps that funded the government would start warring with each other and we would be back to square one... Till there was another alien menace to hunt down and destroy and home worlds to strip mine!

alien
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would the ending of THE WATCHMEN actually work? INDEPENDENCE   Would the ending of THE WATCHMEN actually work? INDEPENDENCE Empty

Back to top Go down

Would the ending of THE WATCHMEN actually work? INDEPENDENCE
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: General :: The open house-
Jump to: