A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Histories & Timelines, organizing them: Preferred way??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Qoltar
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Histories & Timelines, organizing them: Preferred way??   Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:01 pm

Recently I've been typing up or re-organizing some Timelines - both real historical and fictional "future history" ones.

This is a question for those amongst you who are academics or have authored books and papers: When listing events in a timeline or history , if you know an event takes place in a specific year or month - but you don't have the specific date (or its unknown/approximate) is it better to list those events before or after the events that have known dates?

Which is preferred in Academia?
Before the known dated events or after?

- Ed C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JTPitt
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Histories & Timelines, organizing them: Preferred way??   Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:21 pm

Do you know if said events took place before or after the known dates?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Qoltar
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Histories & Timelines, organizing them: Preferred way??   Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:40 pm

JTPitt wrote:
Do you know if said events took place before or after the known dates?

Thats the point - they'e approximate or unknown dates-wise.

For example: Event "Blah" takes place in 1413, but its not known exactly what date.

-OR-

Event "blah-blah" takes place in September of 1627 - but the exact date is not known.

Should evebnts get listed right before or right after the events that have specific dates known?

- Ed C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Madman
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Histories & Timelines, organizing them: Preferred way??   Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:49 pm

I'm sure there is a "Hand book" type refrence for that sort of thing..

for example-
if you START Writing something using numerals (ex 10,000) then you have to be consistant throught the writing

or if you are Foccusing on EVENTS or the importance there of- then your refrence would be to list the event FIRST.. date later

and if it's Dates and cronological orders... then you guessed it... Dates first (as accuratly as possible)

I suppose it boills down to what you are really writing...the the foccus of the subjuct
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cincyrec.org
JTPitt
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Histories & Timelines, organizing them: Preferred way??   Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:04 pm

My question was more do you know if blah happened before or after in a timeline not specific dates but more to specific events. I know it sounds silly but I know what I am saying in my head.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JMarv
The MathHammer

PostSubject: Re: Histories & Timelines, organizing them: Preferred way??   Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:34 pm

I think what Ed is asking is if you are writing a timeline and you know one event occurred on September 14th 2006, and another event occurred during September of 2006 but an unknown date, which do you list first?

However I have no idea. I guess you could use probability based on number of days in the month, but if you had three events then you're just screwed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Histories & Timelines, organizing them: Preferred way??   Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:03 pm

I'm totaly lost......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Qoltar
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Histories & Timelines, organizing them: Preferred way??   Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:16 pm

JMarv wrote:
I think what Ed is asking is if you are writing a timeline and you know one event occurred on September 14th 2006, and another event occurred during September of 2006 but an unknown date, which do you list first?

JMarv is correct in his 1st paragraph. .

Although it wouldn't be for listing stuff that recent. Generally, just three years ago we can extrapolate a date.

This is more for stuff I'm organiziung thats in the 15th and 16th centuroes - OR -Things like Timelines for TRAVELLER or STAR TREK unverses. (BABYLON 5 already has one worked out)

- Ed C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hacksaw
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: Histories & Timelines, organizing them: Preferred way??   Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:07 pm

Speaking as an ex-history major,it's hard to say, depending on the number of entries in a given period of time. if the span is more broad, then place the unspecified after an exact date. ie as in years, centuries. im unsure of the placement of the unspecified event if its ina much closer timeline ie weeks or months.

I hope this helps, but this is the generally accepted wy I've seen it done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Histories & Timelines, organizing them: Preferred way??   Today at 4:56 am

Back to top Go down

Histories & Timelines, organizing them: Preferred way??
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1