CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gate of Infinity Clarification

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

Infinity - Gate of Infinity Clarification Empty
PostSubject: Gate of Infinity Clarification   Infinity - Gate of Infinity Clarification EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 12:34 pm

Big discusion on Dakka Dakka
Basically can a librarian teleport himself or himself with a unit out of close combat?

I hadn't given much thought about doing that but then after reading I think you can. And of course using the locator beacon not the teleport homer to make it so that no one disappears because their is not scatter.

So a 2 part question...
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/makarithraka

PostSubject: Re: Gate of Infinity Clarification   Infinity - Gate of Infinity Clarification EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 2:49 pm

Nothing prevents you from doing this IMO. That is the benefit of GoI.
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: Gate of Infinity Clarification   Infinity - Gate of Infinity Clarification EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 7:57 pm

They bring up a good point but to no avail IMHO.

and wow there is no rule in 40K that says you can't leave close combat!
However if your locked in close combat only pile in moves can be made but otherwise no movement or shooting is allowed so prevents you from walking out of combat..

So now the question is because the unit is deepstriking does the unit count as moving...

I don't think it does but what is you thoughts!
Back to top Go down
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

PostSubject: Re: Gate of Infinity Clarification   Infinity - Gate of Infinity Clarification EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 1:01 am

I see no reason you can't do it.

It works pretty much the same way as Veil of Darkness and that lets you get out of close combat.
Back to top Go down
http://whowritesthisstuff.net/
Sexiest_hero
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Gate of Infinity Clarification   Infinity - Gate of Infinity Clarification EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 2:22 am

Take evrythingyou read at dakka with a grain of salt, like the do bikes assault 12" fight. If it works like Veil of darkness or 'Ere we go from the ork codex then you can.
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: Gate of Infinity Clarification   Infinity - Gate of Infinity Clarification EmptyFri Jan 16, 2009 7:05 am

Yakface from Dakka Dakka is one of the guys if not THE guy that wrote the FAQ's that everyone pretty much uses is he not?

And here is his take on it:
yakface wrote:
Makari wrote:
There are no rules in the game that say you can't leave combat that I can find. Having said that though you can't leave combat because only pile in moves can be made and may not otherwise move move or shoot. Gate of Infinity does not count as moving as bizarre as the physics are in this, The GoI is a Psychic Power that is used in the movement phase. The unit never "moved" it is removed from the board and deepstrikes. they don't move, they count as having moved per deepstrike rules as far as shooting or moving for that turn.

Models that deep strike do count as having moved.
Models that are locked in combat cannot move other than to make pile-in moves.

Therefore, a player cannot willingly use Gate of Infinity on a unit locked in combat as successfully doing so would end up breaking a rule.

yakface wrote:
Makari wrote:
So the act of successfully casting the Gate of infinity is considered a movement? I know that when they reenter play they are deep striking thus counted as moved, but how is "casting" (for a lack of a better word) movement. Does this mean that force dome cannot be cast when locked in combat, because it is used at the start of the movement phase?

Would that supersede the BRB because it is in the codex?

I am compiling an FAQ of things not covered by the holiest of holies FAQ's until it is FAQ'd for the CAG tournament in May which is why I'm interested in this ruling especially with the large amount of Space Marine Players out there.

No the act of casting a power is not movement. The successful result of using the power on models who are locked in combat will end up breaking a rule, in that the models locked in combat will have moved (and it is not a pile-in move, which is the only movement allowed). Since players cannot willingly break the rules, he is not allowed to use Gate of Infinity on models locked in combat.

So ya see my conundrum.
Back to top Go down
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

PostSubject: Re: Gate of Infinity Clarification   Infinity - Gate of Infinity Clarification EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 5:54 pm

This is from the new DakkaDakka FAQ to which yakface contributed:

SM.57H.02 – Q: Can ‘The Gate of Infinity’ be used on
a unit (including the Psyker) that is falling back or
locked in close combat?
A: A unit that is falling back (because they are unable to
regroup that turn) or locked in close combat, including the
psyker himself, may not be transported via ‘The Gate of
Infinity’ [clarification].

Oddly enough, even though Gate of Infinity is very much like Veil of Darkness (they are not entirely identical), the Necron codex actually specifies that Veil of Darkness can be used in close combat. The Space Marine codex doesn't do that for Gate of Infinity.

Interesting note: While the rules for Veil of Darkness do make an exception for close combat, they do not make an exception for falling back units, so Veil of Darkness may not be used to transport models that are falling back. This is confirmed in the Necron FAQ for 5th edition.

The rules for Monoliths teleporting are written in a very similar way (an exception is made for close combat but not fall back). So I would say Monoliths cannot teleport falling back units either.

'Ere We Go is written almost exactly like Veil of Darkness. The only difference is that it only applies to the unit the Weirdboy is with (Veil can be used on any unit within a given distance). 'Ere we go also makes an exception for close combat but not falling back.

So I would conclude:

Models in close combat cannot be transported by Gate of Infinity.

Falling back units cannot be transported by Gate of Infinity, Veil of Darkness, Monoliths or 'Ere We Go.

EDIT: Monoliths can transport anything. All the time.

Last edited by Mike Leon on Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mendin
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Gate of Infinity Clarification   Infinity - Gate of Infinity Clarification EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 10:32 pm

Mike Leon wrote:

The rules for Monoliths teleporting are written in a very similar way (an exception is made for close combat but not fall back). So I would say Monoliths cannot teleport falling back units either.

Didn't that selfsame DakkaDakka FAQ say something along the lines of "Monoliths can teleport falling back units, but they still count as falling back, and will still have to test to regroup/fall back next turn"?
Back to top Go down
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

PostSubject: Re: Gate of Infinity Clarification   Infinity - Gate of Infinity Clarification EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 11:17 pm

It sure does, Mendin.

This makes sense because the other abilities involve "Deep Strike" and "Deep Strike" counts as movement, but the monolith uses its own rules which apparently do not count as movement.

This is a lollercoaster ride.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gate of Infinity Clarification   Infinity - Gate of Infinity Clarification Empty

Back to top Go down

Gate of Infinity Clarification
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Warhammer 40k :: 40k Rules Questions & Discussion-
Jump to: