CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chaos Daemons for a beginner

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner Empty
PostSubject: Chaos Daemons for a beginner   chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 1:38 pm

The last time I played 40K, 16th Pres. day, I brought my girlfriend along to show her what 40K is. She got the bug, and now she wants to learn how to play. I showed her the different armies that can be played (and a few that couldn't Wink ) and she became interested in Chaos Daemons. I tried telling her that for a beginner that is not the easiest army to start with. She did not care, so now she is going to start playing Daemons, specifically of the Khornate variety (because she thinks they look the best).

So, can anyone help me help her with tactics and lists (and I do realize that not very many people play this army, but help is appreciated anyways).

Thanks guys (and few gals) for any advice that can be given.
Back to top Go down
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Daemons for a beginner   chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 2:52 pm

This is a terrible idea...

Use bloodletters and great unclean ones. Use that named MC that gives everybody around it a chance to reroll saves.

Deepstrike units on at least a 2/1 basis. In other words, if you need to kill a squad of space marines, you need to drop at least 2 units of bloodletters near them, because at least 1 of them will die before they get to do anything (except run). You can probably simplify this as: DS all of your dudes close together all the time.

Pray to the dice gods a lot.

That's about the best advice I can give.
Back to top Go down
http://whowritesthisstuff.net/
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Daemons for a beginner   chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 7:22 pm

Her next choice was Daemonhunters, and she realized the irony after reading the descriptions for each. Anyways I have been looking for viable tactics for these guys and they do not recieve love on any front except the anti-infantry department.

Units that are close to crap: Beast of Nurgle, mounted daemonettes

Units to use as points filler: anything from fast attack, daemonic gifts

Shooty Units: Anything Tzeentch (except special characters) maybe DP

Units that recieve more love than any other: BloodCrushers, Any type of Herald mounted on Chariot, Plague Bearers.

All I can remember anyways...
Cany you guys confirm/deny from experience/looking at stats/batreps?
Back to top Go down
Mendin
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Daemons for a beginner   chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner EmptySat Feb 21, 2009 11:01 pm

If she want's to go mono-Khorne, a daemonzilla list isn't too terrible. Three winged daemon princes, two bloodletters, and a wave of bloodletters.
Back to top Go down
Sexiest_hero
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Daemons for a beginner   chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 12:00 am

The Hounds of Khorn work well with the Reroll SC. A nasty trick is having a Khorn herald on a chariot. for 100 points you get the same stats as a monsterous creature. Mounted daemonettes are pretty good for their cheap cost. but they are sooo hard to get ahold of. If your GF has an In your face style she'll love a Khonite army.
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Daemons for a beginner   chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 4:05 pm

The more I look for tactics the more I keep coming across one certain piece of information. The wording of the Collar of Khorne is enough to give the wearer a 2+ save against all force weapon wounds. I hope to get a look at the codex in the next day or so, but can anyone confirm/deny this?
Back to top Go down
Sexiest_hero
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Daemons for a beginner   chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 4:24 pm

Yeah your reading that right. But If your in combat with a bloodthirster, or Herald of Khorn, nothing is going to save you.
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Daemons for a beginner   chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 4:32 pm

True enough.
Back to top Go down
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Daemons for a beginner   chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 2:13 pm

Mendin wrote:
If she want's to go mono-Khorne, a daemonzilla list isn't too terrible. Three winged daemon princes, two bloodletters, and a wave of bloodletters.

I would probably try that if you insist on mono-khorne. But the Great Unclean One are much better than bloodthirsters, and you would be passing them up.
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Daemons for a beginner   chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 2:25 pm

But they seem too slow to be very effective.
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Daemons for a beginner   chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 4:25 pm

Here's the army I intend to teach her with (models proxied of course)

HQ:

Herald of Khorne, Chariot, Unholy Might - 100

Elites:

Bloodcrushers *4 - 160

Troops:

Bloodletters * 15 - 240

Bloodletters * 15 - 240

Fast Attack:

Flesh Hounds * 10, 1 with Fury of Khorne - 160

Total: 1000
Model Count: 46
Back to top Go down
JTPitt
Sergeant
Sergeant
JTPitt

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Daemons for a beginner   chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 9:44 am

Nathan,

The only problem I see with this list is well any shooty army will kill this list long before it has a chance to do anything at all. I have played against several lists like this and trust me even at 1000 points those guys are going down quick especially since you have to split them up for deployment purposes.
Back to top Go down
Sexiest_hero
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Daemons for a beginner   chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 10:17 am

BUt It will eat any close combat list. With shooting you have to time everything right. Land, weather the storm, and go for it.
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Daemons for a beginner   chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 10:35 am

@JTPitt - I know shooting armies will tear this type of army up. It's sort of true for all daemons, that's why I made the letters squads 15 strong. Really I'm intending to show her what most of her units are capable of if she does decide to go Mono-Khorne.
Back to top Go down
Sexiest_hero
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Daemons for a beginner   chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 11:57 am

It's sad really they made mono god armies overly hard to use, like in the chaos codex. I think they are trying to get away from the this god hates that one in game play. A Tzeench list can go toe to toe with most shooting armies.
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Daemons for a beginner   chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 5:47 pm

It is sad. For new people they read the fluff and think "Oh my (insert Chaos God name here), you are obviously amazing and I will feed/sacrifice many (insert Chaos God's sacrifice here) to you. I can honestly say I think the greater daemons and the bloodcrushers are the only units worthy of their fluff.

Yeah, I can see a Tzeench list going up against shooting armies pretty evenly, but anything even remotely close-combaty will tear them apart.
Back to top Go down
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Daemons for a beginner   chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 7:42 pm

Nathan, try this instead:

HQ:

Troops:

Bloodletters * 10 - 160

Bloodletters * 10 - 160

Bloodletters * 10 - 160

Bloodletters * 10 - 160

Fast Attack:

Flesh Hounds * 10, 1 with Fury of Khorne - 160

Total: 1000
Model Count: 52

Here's my reasoning. More units = better chance to deep strike someplace useful. Bloodcrushers are lame AFAIKIMHO. If they moved faster they would be cool, but they don't. I would rather have more bodies with more wounds to soak up shots (even more so for a new player who will make mistakes). The bloodletters are better for that. Plus they get 30 attacks on the charge as opposed to 16 for the 'crushers.

There is nothing in the list that can kill a land raider.
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Daemons for a beginner   chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 7:59 am

All right, I'll try it. But there really isn't anything in Daemons that can kill a land raider, except Greater Daemons and Screamers, which are the suicide unit.
Back to top Go down
JTPitt
Sergeant
Sergeant
JTPitt

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Daemons for a beginner   chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 9:03 am

Those big damn walking tanks the Daemons have can destroy a land raider. As far as I have seen those things are so damn useful its worth taking one in a list.
Back to top Go down
Sexiest_hero
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Daemons for a beginner   chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 10:05 am

Yeah it's a way to stay Knorn and add some needed firepower. A soul grinder will be great for your list.
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Daemons for a beginner   chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 10:14 am

Wouldn't that attract every AT thing the opponent has though?
Back to top Go down
JTPitt
Sergeant
Sergeant
JTPitt

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Daemons for a beginner   chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 10:49 am

Probably but those damn things take lickin and keep on tickin.
Back to top Go down
Mendin
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Daemons for a beginner   chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 11:18 am

Nathan wrote:
Wouldn't that attract every AT thing the opponent has though?

On the other hand, if you drop the Soul Grinder in a point position, with the rest of your Daemons behind it, it will both provide cover, and draw even more fire, giving your Daemons that crucial one turn needed to actually spread out and start moving.

Plus you'll get at least one Phlegm (only worthwhile upgrade) shot onto a juicy squad of enemies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chaos Daemons for a beginner   chaos - Chaos Daemons for a beginner Empty

Back to top Go down

Chaos Daemons for a beginner
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Warhammer 40k :: 40k Army Lists and Tactics-
Jump to: