A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Charging and Pursuing/Fleeing clarifications, please

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Vulcan Jedi
Neophyte

PostSubject: Charging and Pursuing/Fleeing clarifications, please   Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:38 am

Re: Charging, the rules state that a unit must wheel in order to maximize the number of models that can attack, yet in illustration 22.1 in the rule book, a unit is shown charging straight into an enemy unit, w/out wheeling and contacting the enemy unit at the front corner, and then forming up afterward??? Which rule should be used?

When pursuing, if you pursue a fleeing enemy unit and catch and deatroy it, do you have to move the full pursuit roll, assuming you don't charge another unit in the process? I only ask because the rules state that you must pursue fleeing units, but how can you pursue a unit that is already destroyed?

Finally, if a pursuit causes a unit to charge another enemy unit and that unit subsequently flees, assuming you pursue then, do you make an entirely separate pursuit role? If so, do you move the remainder of the first pursuit role afterwards (if any)?

Thanks,

VJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Neznarf
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: Charging and Pursuing/Fleeing clarifications, please   Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:45 pm

I'll do my best to answer these.

First question: You are allowed to make one normal wheel manoeuvre at any point during your charge, however you are required to use this wheel bring as many models into contact as possible. In figure 22.1 it is assumed that the knights have already made this wheel or were already lined up perfectly to make this charge. As soon as the units make contact (even just touching at the corner), the charging unit makes a free wheel to align itself against the unit. This free wheel is what is shown in figure 22.1. So, in short, you get 2 wheels during a charge but the last one can only be done after the models are in contact and costs no movement to perform. If you are already lined up to achieve the maximum number of models that can attack, then the first wheel is unnecessary.

Second question: The answer is yes, unless your unit is stopped by impassible terrain or another unit, you must move the full pursuit distance rolled. This represents the distance that your unit moves while chasing and cutting down the fleeing unit. Realistically, the enemy unit would not have all dropped dead the instant they turned around to run. It is just represented this way on the table top so that we don't have to needlessly measure and move the fleeing unit that is about to be removed anyways.

Third question: You're getting into a bit more complicated of a situation here. If your pursuit allows you to charge into a fresh enemy that was not already in combat, that combat is resolved in the next round and if it is broken on the next turn, you pursue as normal. If that unit was already engaged, however, and that combat has not been resolved yet for this turn, then your pursuing unit gets to fight a second combat round in the same turn but may not pursue the unit at all if it flees (each unit is only allowed one pursuit roll/move per turn). As a third possibility (and I think this is the one you are asking about), if the unit you are charging flees as a charge reaction or due to panic/fear/terror etc then this is resolved after you have measured your pursuit distance and determined you are in range, but before you actually move the models. If the unit is still in range of your original pursuit roll, then it is removed and you then move your unit the full pursuit distance.

Hopefully that makes more sense now and I didn't confuse you worse, I can tend to do that sometimes. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Charging and Pursuing/Fleeing clarifications, please   Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:16 pm

Just one more note, if you over run into a new enemy unit, that enemy unit gets no charge reaction.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Neznarf
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: Charging and Pursuing/Fleeing clarifications, please   Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:28 pm

Actually, the enemy only loses the ability to stand and shoot. They are still allowed to choose Hold or Flee and are still required to take any psychology tests required for being charged. (Page 45 Main rulebook. 3rd paragraph)

P.S. That entire page contains the most frequently misinterpreted rules in the game and any fantasy player could probably use a re-read of the entire page. In particular, that last paragraph is the biggest offender, telling how to resolve combats where both sides have units counting as chargers. It isn't based on the order of chargers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Charging and Pursuing/Fleeing clarifications, please   Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:44 am

I stand corrected, you can flee and you must take psych tests. As for the chargers situation. I have been playing it incorrectly because the way you are suppose to do it isn't logical. In a situation where my unit over ran and made contact with another unit, ( therefore counting as charging) and in turn was charged by another unit with lower initiative, I have always allowed the slow initiative unit first stirke on models that they can affect even though we both count as charging. It seemed fairer, guess I should have figured that it was incorrect Smile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Charging and Pursuing/Fleeing clarifications, please   

Back to top Go down

Charging and Pursuing/Fleeing clarifications, please
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1