CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Buckeye Battles is coming...

Go down 
+6
Marc
Evil Bob
FrostWolf
Crobar
Makari
Jeff P
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Sexiest_hero
Initiate
Initiate

Buckeye Battles is coming... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buckeye Battles is coming...   Buckeye Battles is coming... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 8:16 am

Although after hearing the way this tuorney will work I think it's pretty fair. My reasoning for disliking battle points is that some armies can crush another utterly, Brettonian knights as one. Some armies rely on prolonging the battle and grinding down, like dwarves. I stil don't think it's right that you can win all of your games in close hard fought battles, and lose out to a person you beat, just because they hit the right scaven unit and it caused the whole army to flee.
Back to top Go down
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

PostSubject: Re: Buckeye Battles is coming...   Buckeye Battles is coming... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 1:07 pm

Jeff P wrote:
We are actually full at 70 players. I will start a waiting list and if anyone cancels, those on the list will be contacted asap.
CONGRATS! I will get on Nick's case to work on his Dwarves, they might be done in a year with daily torment. At that point if it's just us I will rent a car and drive up there.

So please let us know again next year. Thank you for all your effort Jeff.
Back to top Go down
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Buckeye Battles is coming...   Buckeye Battles is coming... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 4:26 pm

First, you seemed tohave glossed over the fact that I stated if people enjoy these kind of things, then people should play them. I spoke to my friend, he told me I was wrong about the tourney. He won all, 5 of his games, with a well painted army and he is easy to get along with, but he placed 11th. The only other player who won all their games placed 8th. The winner won 4 and lost 1. As far as golf goes, in the game, yes their are handycaps, but I have never seen a handycap in a golf tourney. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. Lastly, I enjoy fuff armies, I have played them in the past, but when I do, I don't expect to be given a advantage just because I don't want to build list with no thought to its ability to win. I go in expecting to lose but have fun doing it. Since we are degrading to the point were we are saying things like "put the crying aside", this is sliding towards a flame war instead of a good discussion from differing points of view. I apologize to those of you who took it as a personal attack, it wasn't.

Oh, I will admit that calling it legalized cheating was a poor use of words, I didn't think it would cause this much of an uproar. Either way, those of you who are going, good luck and have fun.
Back to top Go down
Jeff P
Neophyte
Jeff P

PostSubject: Re: Buckeye Battles is coming...   Buckeye Battles is coming... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 12:30 am

We actually have 1 spot open right now, and possibly 2 more due to some upcoming family issues.

We award a sword and plaque for best overall. how that score is calculated is known in advance, so everyone knows what they need to do to score highly. Overall is an overall achievement on all aspects of the hobby and gamesmanship, not just can you make a crazy list and crush all your opponents. If thats your thing, then GW has the events for you...or did til this year. The Indepentent GTs have grown very popular due to players requesting some sort of comp whether player scored, scenario driven, judge scored, band/tiers, or whatever and those events are popping up all over as well as growing in size.

We award a Best General Warhammer and plaque to the person with best overall battle points (ie not including sports, painting, but sports is a tiebreaker).

We award a best painted and a players choice with a plaque. These have nothing to do with battle points.

so players can focus on 1 thing or overall and try to win. If youre a good painter, but not a great player, then generals choice and painting score are great.

@crobar there are also instances every year at GW events as well as Indepentent events where there are scoring errors or just bad scoring design. So its possible you guys just ran into one of those events. Let the organizer know what you thought went wrong, and if he cares about his credibility or popularity of his event, he will listen. Maybe even make changes.
Back to top Go down
Jeff P
Neophyte
Jeff P

PostSubject: Re: Buckeye Battles is coming...   Buckeye Battles is coming... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 6:11 pm

UPDATE: the open spot is gone. Standing by to hear about the other 2 still.
Back to top Go down
Jeff P
Neophyte
Jeff P

PostSubject: Re: Buckeye Battles is coming...   Buckeye Battles is coming... - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 12:25 am

ok, other 2 dropped. Actually have 3 spots. I miscounted 1 of them (8x I think!) and 2 guys dropped out for personal issues. Let me know if Team CAG is heading up!
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Buckeye Battles is coming...   Buckeye Battles is coming... - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 10:59 am

..c'mon fellas.. anybody heading up? This would be a huge experience.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
Jeff P
Neophyte
Jeff P

PostSubject: Re: Buckeye Battles is coming...   Buckeye Battles is coming... - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 11:47 pm

If lodging is an issue, I can ask anyone at the club if they will host. We even have a Montgomery Inn in Worthington, and Skyline Chili is available in most parts of town. cheers Just none near my house Suspect
Back to top Go down
pricosaint
Neophyte
pricosaint

PostSubject: Re: Buckeye Battles is coming...   Buckeye Battles is coming... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 12:36 am

lodging is the issue Sad is anyone heading up there?
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: Buckeye Battles is coming...   Buckeye Battles is coming... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 7:17 am

I went last year, had a blast, just not going again till I get more experince so I acutaly stand a chance at doing well(loseing if fine but after you lose for the 100th time it gets real old).
Back to top Go down
pricosaint
Neophyte
pricosaint

PostSubject: Re: Buckeye Battles is coming...   Buckeye Battles is coming... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 10:36 am

practice against me Razz lol
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: Buckeye Battles is coming...   Buckeye Battles is coming... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 11:30 am

I thought I was ready but after playing 2 games the other game after a long Hiatus so i could play 40K I still have some relearning and not take too long between games of 40K... Sheesh I even forgot the Orc animosity rule as did my opponent... Took almost 4 hours to play the small games for all the rules checking and confusion with 40K rules... very embarrassing
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/makarithraka
Jeff P
Neophyte
Jeff P

PostSubject: Re: Buckeye Battles is coming...   Buckeye Battles is coming... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 11:18 pm

we have players that have played over 3 editions, and players that have played 3 months. Tourneys are a great place to learn as you get to apply something within an hours of learning it.
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: Buckeye Battles is coming...   Buckeye Battles is coming... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 8:22 am

Since I cannot get to the site at work (yay Web nazis) is this at the Guard Tower?
Back to top Go down
http://www.aowcinci.com
Jeff P
Neophyte
Jeff P

PostSubject: Re: Buckeye Battles is coming...   Buckeye Battles is coming... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 11:19 pm

no, we have almost 70 players. the Guard tower is pretty maxed at 24.

We play on the Ohio Wesleyan University Theater on the stage! Its a pretty cool venue. Can do announcements and awards on stage with players in the seats.

http://buckeyebattles.com/ seems to be up and running now.
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: Buckeye Battles is coming...   Buckeye Battles is coming... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 8:17 am

Didn't you use to run at the Guard Tower?
Back to top Go down
http://www.aowcinci.com
Jeff P
Neophyte
Jeff P

PostSubject: Re: Buckeye Battles is coming...   Buckeye Battles is coming... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 7:41 pm

yep, all our RTTs are at the Guard Tower.

ok, got a man offereing up his house for you guys...

dm00ney wrote:
I live about 5-10 mins from the battle site..

I have room for several. I have a pull out couch and a futon..

Plenty of floor space also if needed..

just things to keep in mind..
smoke free house...
have 2 siberian huskies...

Otherwise I can handle most if needed...

ps... I don't plan on cooking breakfast....lol

3 spots left. Email me if youre interested. truckeye@aolDOTcom
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Buckeye Battles is coming...   Buckeye Battles is coming... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 9:32 am

So how did things shake out Jeff?
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
Jeff P
Neophyte
Jeff P

PostSubject: Re: Buckeye Battles is coming...   Buckeye Battles is coming... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 6:58 pm

We always give out an anonamous survey to see what we are doing right and what can be improved on. Im glad to say it was overwhelmingly positive. The cook out was much more popular than I thought, especially since it rained right up until start time.

Mike Marko from Dayton took 1st with Orcs!
Nathan Van Allen from Columbus was 2nd with Tomb Kings
David Bukowski was 3rd with Lizards.

www.buckeyebattles.com for full scores.

Hope you guys can make it next year. We evaluated the venue and think we can hold another 20 people if necessary.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buckeye Battles is coming...   Buckeye Battles is coming... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Buckeye Battles is coming...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2