CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Obligatory IG List

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wittdooley
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
wittdooley

The Obligatory IG List Empty
PostSubject: The Obligatory IG List   The Obligatory IG List EmptyTue May 12, 2009 1:09 pm

Okay, so here goes, centered around Creed:

HQ:
Command Company Squad (385 points)
+Creed
+Vox
+(2x) Melta
+Carapace
+Master of Ordnance
+Master of the Fleet
+Nork Deddog

Troops:
Infantry Platoon (375 points)
+Command Squad
+Power Weapon
+vox caster
+(2x)Sniper
Infantry Squad A
+Plasma Pistol
+Grenade Launcher
+vox caster
Infantry Squad B
+Plasma Pistol
+Grenade Launcher
+vox caster
Heavy Weapons Squad A
+(3x) Missile Launcher
Heavy Weapons Squad B
+(3x) Missile Launcher

Infantry Platoon (375 points)
+Command Squad
+Power Weapon
+vox caster
+(2x)Sniper
Infantry Squad A
+Plasma Pistol
+Grenade Launcher
+vox caster
Infantry Squad B
+Plasma Pistol
+Grenade Launcher
+vox caster
Heavy Weapons Squad A
+(3x) Missile Launcher
Heavy Weapons Squad B
+(3x) Missile Launcher

Heavy Weapons:
Leman Russ Squadron (400 points)
Leman Russ Punisher
+sponson bolters
Leman Russ Punisher
+sponson bolters

Elite:
Ogryn Squad (210 points)
+(2x) Additional Ogryns

Total - 1745 points

Thoughts, Opinions? I know I could probably use a bit more anti-armour, but who knows. This list is predicated on having lots of orders. I dunno. I feel like there are too many options.
Back to top Go down
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate
Warmonger

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory IG List   The Obligatory IG List EmptyTue May 12, 2009 3:18 pm

The list lacks mobility, It will be hard to get across the table to capture objectives unless you plan on tabling your opponenrt every game. I have seen Nid lists taylored that way but don't know if Guard can pull it off?
Back to top Go down
wittdooley
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
wittdooley

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory IG List   The Obligatory IG List EmptyTue May 12, 2009 4:26 pm

I honestly have no idea. I was just messin around. I also created what I call the "infiltration" list. That one has three vet squads as the troop choices, two 10-man storm trooper squads, 2 vendettas, command squad.
Back to top Go down
Sexiest_hero
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory IG List   The Obligatory IG List EmptyTue May 12, 2009 9:04 pm

Just small nembers for a IG list. I'd love to go at it with my own list in a Quantity vs quality
Back to top Go down
archite666
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory IG List   The Obligatory IG List EmptyWed May 13, 2009 7:57 pm

ok... where to start....

Your HQ needs reworking, its got some redundencies...

Heres a main point I tell to alot of guard players, if you invest 500 pts into a toughness 3 carapace armor general, he is still a toughness 3 carapace armor general who is now worth 500 vp.

Point is: guard have little room to bulk up, spread the points out, and really watch the wargear.

You have meltas with creed? You really plan for a vehicle to get that close to your overpriced commander?

I understand you plan to put those 4 orders to use but meltas dont feel appropriate.

Nork is ok, for what your doing, after play testing you may decide to drop him.

You have snipers and power weps in the same squad? Have you ever hear the phraise: If you going to shake and bake, just turn up the heat?

It means you need to min max, Make your guys do one thing and make them do it well, don't waste points on contingencies. You wouldn't give a morter team a power fist (not that you can) would you?

I do like the grenade launcher as a special weapon, but I say drop the plasma pistols. If you expect to get that close take flamers otherwise leave the expensive pistols at home.

Finally, I know we all love the punisher. I love it. You love it. We all love it. However its job is to pump an insane amount of wounds into squads that are usually very weak and very numerous (nids) essentially its good for when even a pie plate doest wipe out half the squad.

Heres the problem, your army though lasguns and grenades and missile launchers already has a ton of whimp killing power, you need some seriously nasty hitting power, you need something that will make vehicles leak oil down their treads as they hall ass away from you. Same goes for heavies like terminators, you need something that make your opponent think twice about walkies those baddies into your soft guardmen.

You of course have a wide range to pick from, looking at your style, Id say a demolisher is nasty, especially since it can move and fire now.

Ogryns can be big shields, but I prefer rough riders as counter charge units. Iv always dreaded building them but on paper they are nice. At any rate, Id switch out the ogryns for rough riders or maybe storm troopers. Elites with ap 3 weapons are very nice.
Back to top Go down
wittdooley
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
wittdooley

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory IG List   The Obligatory IG List EmptyWed May 13, 2009 10:51 pm

I guess my biggest issue is that I have no idea how to play this army. I'm used to running very aggressive, in your face marine lists. Note to self: guard are NOT good at assaulting.

To be honest with the meltas: I forget that the regular melta is on 12" range.

Like I said, I really have no idea where to start with these guys. The 'infiltration' list I put together I think looks pretty neat, but I can't imagine it would play very well...I mean, in that one I'm looking at the Storm Troopers as assault units. Again, S/T 3 doesn't seem to bode well for that.

I guess I just need to learn how to play a shooty army.
Back to top Go down
Sexiest_hero
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory IG List   The Obligatory IG List EmptyThu May 14, 2009 4:44 am

If you want agressive guard it can be done, and not just in the Vendetta or valkarie way.

Make sure to keep your boys in the fight keeping them Commisars and priests do this good. Remember counter-attack means your fellows count as charging. Load up on counter-charge units rough riders make a good unit for this. Pack in plenty of power fists and melta bombs. Then watch your placement of Ind-Chars (easy to do in a 20 man blob). And rip up some CC. Oh and cut back on the punishers, they are Meh at best.
Back to top Go down
wittdooley
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
wittdooley

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory IG List   The Obligatory IG List EmptyThu May 14, 2009 8:59 am

But I really like the idea of rolling 40 dice...:"(
Back to top Go down
Sexiest_hero
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory IG List   The Obligatory IG List EmptyThu May 14, 2009 12:33 pm

I do too, But I can just see those shot pinging off of anything with a save. I hear pask makes Punishers a killer for Monsterouse creatures if you wanna splurge 50 pointrs.
Back to top Go down
Chethrok_Bloodfist
Neophyte
Chethrok_Bloodfist

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory IG List   The Obligatory IG List EmptyThu May 14, 2009 12:35 pm

I wouldn't call punishers meh. They have a very specific role, and that's defending your gunline against hordes of Orks and Nids. Their effectiveness completely depends on the armor save of their opponent, though, and they're not quite as good when they need to advance to meet a static enemy (although all Leman Russes are better at that now). I'm attracted to them because having two of those in your army means you don't have to worry as much about anti-light infantry firepower and the rest of your army can concentrate on bringing down Marines and armor.
Back to top Go down
Sexiest_hero
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory IG List   The Obligatory IG List EmptyThu May 14, 2009 1:08 pm

About 7 wounds before saves on orks and Marines. Add in the fact that they can take Kustom force field saves, and Marines would get their normal 3+. Add in it's short range and it's high cost, and you are looking at a lot of points for ok damage. A standard russ will plat more guys out of cover and just as many in cover for less points. It will even do a numer on most tanks. That said the Punisher isn't a bad tank, just don't rely on it to do major damage all the time.
Back to top Go down
archite666
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory IG List   The Obligatory IG List EmptySun May 17, 2009 4:18 am

Sexiest_hero wrote:
About 7 wounds before saves on orks and Marines. Add in the fact that they can take Kustom force field saves, and Marines would get their normal 3+. Add in it's short range and it's high cost, and you are looking at a lot of points for ok damage. A standard russ will plat more guys out of cover and just as many in cover for less points. It will even do a numer on most tanks. That said the Punisher isn't a bad tank, just don't rely on it to do major damage all the time.

This is the truth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Obligatory IG List   The Obligatory IG List Empty

Back to top Go down

The Obligatory IG List
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Warhammer 40k :: 40k Army Lists and Tactics-
Jump to: