CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Warhammer, how different is it?

Go down 
+2
CJ
Kibbles_The_Living_WIP
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kibbles_The_Living_WIP
Neophyte

Warhammer, how different is it? Empty
PostSubject: Warhammer, how different is it?   Warhammer, how different is it? EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 3:36 pm

I am a 40k collecter, and of course, you 'wander the isles' when in a Games workshop, and i just cant help but crave a mounted hero, or a dragon, just to paint, or some of the wood elves. but i know i would just want to paint more and more models.

If thats the case, Heh, i have a question to ask of the hobbiers in fantasy warhammer. or a few.

What is a commen small force points wise?
How much does it differ from 40k?
AND
Is there an army, where you can have loads of Individual models and heros. characters, as an army, or a realy nice painting army that could really extend a painters skills, and imagination.

I have never really played the game, just watched, i was a little confused after overhearing someone say their chaos knites had a 1+ Save, but i didnt think it had armour saves. im quite interested in chaos, because of their knights, and was thinking how i could nicley un-damage, and un-weather that armour with green stuff, and make an interesting Empire force.
Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Warhammer, how different is it?   Warhammer, how different is it? EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 6:47 pm

oooh well it can range. Usually 500 is a good start. Then work your way to 1k, 1500, 2k, and then 2250. I've played all of these ranges. I started with Ogres. They were really fun. Sold them cuz wasn't really into the game too much anymore. But with the way things are going, I'm coming back with Lizzies. I just love the whole creater/maker thing with them.

The game mechanics are almost alike but yet way different. Instead of spreading out and keeping 2" a part, you actually march and are in regiments. It's a lil hard to get used to but pretty fast into picking it up. Fantasy is faster pace in my opinion. So much more too do.

As for the models. MY GAWD WERE TO BEGIN!!!!!!

The best army I have seen tho in my opinion for color and all that is the High Elves. The dragons, models, color schemes. Amazing!!!! Wood Elves for sure second best.

Some may disagree but hey, my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Ricter
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: Warhammer, how different is it?   Warhammer, how different is it? EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 11:24 pm

I used to play Empire for quite a few years, and felt their models were rather lame compared to the other armies. I've noticed they've gotten a big model update lately, but I'm not sure it really makes up for it.

Personally, I was most impressed with Chaos variations and Vampire Counts.
Back to top Go down
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Warhammer, how different is it?   Warhammer, how different is it? EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 8:09 am

It depends on what you are into. Brettonians knights are suppose to all be individual nobles and are all suppose to be painted different. The High Elf models are some of the prettiest, but they have units and the units are suppose to look alike. The High Elf Dragon is unique and I love the look of the White Lion Chariot.
As far as playing, I can't think of an army the has lots of heroes and few units. I know you can run Wood Elves simular to 40k because they have sqkirmishing Drayds as core troops, but but you have to bring archers if you want to shoot things.
The biggest problems that I have noticed with people confusing fantasy and 40k rules are:

when it comes down to a fight, all models rank up.

All models in a unit have to fight with the same weapon. An example of this is a unit of spearmen. Spearmen are one of the few units that can fight with more than one rank. but if you want the second rank to use their spears, then the front rank needs to as well.

There are 3 different kinds of saves, Armor, ward and regenerate.
Armor saves are not set in stone. They can be altered by items and the strength of the model striking.
Ward and regenerate saves are not altered.
lastly, one model can have all three saves, you take an armor save, then ward save and regenerate last.

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Warhammer, how different is it?   Warhammer, how different is it? EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 10:48 am

Crobar wrote:
...one model can have all three saves, you take an armor save, then ward save and regenerate last..
That is the biggest hurdle I needed to get over in retraining my saves. In 40k you choose to make that armour save or the inv save.

Regular armour saves are reduced by strength beginning at Str4 giving a minus one. So Str6 bestows a minus three and so on. Thats where your 1+ save is handy as you mentioned on those Empire Knights. If they are wounded by a Str4 Crossbow they still get a 2+ save.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
pricosaint
Neophyte
pricosaint

PostSubject: Re: Warhammer, how different is it?   Warhammer, how different is it? EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 4:28 pm

Since i just recently started playing fantasy and also came from 40k, I can tell you that 40k seems like of dull compared to fantasy.

As you prob know, fantasy has an additional phase in the player turn called, the Magic phase. This in itself adds another dimension to the game that psychic powers in 40k could never hope to add, and believe me i know, I played eldar and always used psychic powers.

If you are interested in painting awesome models, almost every army has some very beautiful models that can be painted to a high standard, although the ones that give the most flexibility that I have seen are Bretonnia (all knights in general) and High elves (the dragon mage model is really awesome).

If you have any more questions, pm me and Ill do my best to answer them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warhammer, how different is it?   Warhammer, how different is it? Empty

Back to top Go down

Warhammer, how different is it?
Page 1 of 1