CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RTT Tournament @ KK

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

RTT Tournament @ KK Empty
PostSubject: RTT Tournament @ KK   RTT Tournament @ KK EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 3:39 pm

So I ran this list:

HQ Lord (200 pts)
Res Orb
Veil of Darkness

HQ Lord (185 pt)
Warscythe
Destroyer Body
Phase Shifter
Phylactery.

4 units of 10 warriors 720
2 units of 4 Destroyers 400

1 unit 2 tomb spyders 110

1 monolith 235

1850. Phase out @ 12 Necrons.

Round 1 vs Demons Nurgle list.

My opponent was late and so I was assumed to win and set up (and go first (no really great since the opponent Deepstrikes everything onto the table).

So at the bottom of the first turn I was facing the Kugareth (Plague Lord) 2 x Demon prince w/ wings and epidimus w/ 10 Plague bearers. My opponent had 3 more units of plague bearers and another Prince in Reserve.

Essentially he came in on one side of the board and proceeded up my flank. I was able to move a unit out of harms way with the Veil of Darkness. But I was back on my heals the entire time. The Monolith did some damage being amongst the 2 princes and the Kugareth. However, by the bottom of the second he had rolled up 2 units of Necrons and his Toughness and FNP rolls improved due to epidimus. I made an effort to take out Kugareth but got him to 5 wounds, sacrificing a tomb spyder, my Destroyer lord and numberous Gauss Cannon shots.

I phased out by the end of the 5th. Meh.

Round 2 vs a Mech Space wolves army. 4 Dreads, 2 Rhino, 2 razorback, 2 vindicators, and a bike squad. The rhinos and Rb all had troops inside.

I was luck in that this table had numerous intact buildings which per the tournament rules could hold up to a 20 man squad. Seeing all the big guns I hunkered 2 units of warriors in the buildings (w/ the Lord and Res Orb), 2 in reserve (1 designated to come through the monolith.

I split the 2 squards of Destroyers and put the destroyer lord in cover, 4 out in the open, 4 behind the monolith and houses.

The tomb spyders were out front.

Round 1 and 2 went pretty well. I took out destroyed a vindicator weapon, 1 bike squad, and a dreadnought (which I thought was the venerable one but I must have mis understood my opponent when he deployed (yea... I targeted the chump stain dread with my Particle whip for the first shot of the game Rolling Eyes )

I lost the monolith in the top of the 3rd which destroyed a unit in reserve. I was able to take out the 2nd vindicator w/ a tomb spyder and brought the destroyer lord in for some fun to start opening up the other cans O' puppies. He disabled a rhino but then took the full force of the units shooting next turn.

Thanks to a "6" on his WBB w/ phylactery my boy stood back up w/ 3 wounds. cheers

I then teleported into his back side with another unit to try and shoot up some of the other troops.

Essentially we scrummed down. He controlled his objective, we contested mine but I destroyed more of his stuff. A draw (18 to 17 victory points).

Round 3 versus an Ork Fast attack army. 8 Nob bikers (pain boy), 12 bikers (I think... it was a max unit). 2 rocket buggies, 2 trucks (1 hard boyz, 1 w/ regular boys, and a looted wagon). I again put 2 units in reserve designating 1 to come out of the monolith.

Lots of craters in the game. He came straight at me round 1 turbo boosting. A dangerous terrain roll lost his Pain boy in his first move (I can't say I wasn't relieved). Good shooting on my side reduced his bike mob to 6, took out 1 nob biker and 1 buggy weapon.

Round 2 saw him take out a 4 man unit of destroyers and get into my monolith w/ 4 Nobs w/ power claws and the hard boyz w War boss with power claw. They took out the monolith very quickly (drat) and there goes another unit.

On my turn I was able to bring 3 of the 4 destroyers back successfully and they joined the other 4 on the flank thanks to the Tomb Spyders special ability. This unit of 7 Destroyers operated un contested the rest of the game. They took out the unit of hard boyz, trucks, did more damage to the nobs bikers.

I also teleported around to his backside in the 3rd round and shot up the rest of his boyz.

This round also saw the destroyer lord get into the looted wagon and destroy the weapon.

The game was actually pretty tight, I was taking heavy causulties (lost a unit of warriors to the 6 remaining bikers, a unit to the 5 remaining nob bikers) and 1/2 a unit to the hard boyz. (the Boss was taken out by the staff of light (thank goodness for a 4 init on somebody).

It came down to his bikes who I bum rushed with my Spyder. I was close to phasing out start of round 4 but made some good roles to keep my total necrons at 15.

The Spyder took 3 wounds and saved them all. He then hit back killing 2 bikes, they failed their leadership check. Then it was time for sweeping advance. Woot.. I roll a six, he rolled a 3. Bang 4 more bikes fall to the tomb spyder.

His nobs were sitting on the center objective. so after bringing in the necron lord with scythe to take out 1 more (but falling to a sweeping advance) I killed the remainder next round with another volley from the destroyers.

Woot a win.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RTT Tournament @ KK   RTT Tournament @ KK EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 3:51 pm

Things I learned.

Despite it sounding good... don't designate reserves units to come in through a monolith if you are only taking 1 mono. Walk them on then teleport through the following round if you want better position.

The lord w/ Veil. Good. However, he actually needs a bigger unit 15 to 20. You can easily avoid most trouble before it gets to you. If I was able to pull 20 necrons out vs. 10 in the Nurgle game it would have been much better. If I was able to take 20 necrons into the wolves backside it would have been more effective.

Destroyer Lord w/ Phylacter, phase shifter, and Warscythe is a beat stick on his own. Susceptible mostly to sweeping advance he can really go out and do some damage to units (or hunt weak units on a back line). I believe the key is to keep him hidden, the bring him out for a 12" and an assault move. Or run him w/ the destroyers until needed.

The tomb spyders did well. Their ability to allow WBB rolls when a unit of same type is on the board was great. This allowed the destroyers to operate further apart. Using the ability to bring in a scarab swarm is good to bring in 1 unit only. It allows you to use the highest toughness of 6 since the mixed unit doesn't have a majority toughness score. So by spreading out the wounds you preserve your unit longer. They can act as the tarpit to low strength unit, they can take out vehicles, and/or just counter charge to get some additional wounds when your warriors are at risk of sweeping advance (assuming they survived the first round of combat.)

Regardless... I had a lot of fun playing the Necrons. I spent my $$ on 8 Flayed ones.

I want to get a unit of 10 pariahs to round out the options in my army as well.

Regards,

John
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: RTT Tournament @ KK   RTT Tournament @ KK EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 8:46 pm

Nice report John..

seems you learned bunches with your lot which means you will be scary good in no time Cool
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate
Warmonger

PostSubject: Re: RTT Tournament @ KK   RTT Tournament @ KK EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 8:18 am

Nice report John. I was there Saturday playing also. I tried to get over and see some of your games but only managed to get to see part of round 2. Sounds like you played some tough armies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RTT Tournament @ KK   RTT Tournament @ KK Empty

Back to top Go down

RTT Tournament @ KK
Page 1 of 1