CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Terminator Bases

Go down 
+3
wittdooley
quickfuze
CaelynTek
7 posters
AuthorMessage
CaelynTek
Initiate
Initiate
CaelynTek

Terminator Bases Empty
PostSubject: Terminator Bases   Terminator Bases EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 9:45 pm

So is there a specific 40K rules reason for the 40mm bases on the terminators these days?

Cause I don't like the huge 40mm bases, and I'll be using mine most often in Space Hulk anyway, where the smaller base size will be better for game play in the tight rooms and halls.

So if I choose to base my Black Reach termies on 25mm for Space Hulk, will it really matter if they were used in 40K?
Back to top Go down
http://miniblog.caelyntek.com
quickfuze
Neophyte

Terminator Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terminator Bases   Terminator Bases EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 11:31 pm

yes there is a rule in the new edition for them to be on the bigger bases. It will affect how many can get into base contact with them. You would either need to allow your opponent to form a circle around you with the correct maximum attacking or magnetize your bases to switch them out. Also it affects deep striking and what should result in a mishap roll could possible not due to the smaller bases. For casual gaming i dont think its a big deal, but for tourny you could def get called on it.
Back to top Go down
wittdooley
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
wittdooley

Terminator Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terminator Bases   Terminator Bases EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 11:50 pm

Do those termies even fit on 25mm bases? I feel like their stance is too wide?
Back to top Go down
Affliction
Forum Moderator
Affliction

Terminator Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terminator Bases   Terminator Bases EmptyTue Aug 18, 2009 11:54 pm

Yeah the standing rule for the last few years is that a base can not be smaller than the one provided with the model. Think they implemented that in 4th edition maybe even late 3rd. Your base just for reference CAN be bigger for modeling purposes.

You will definitely will be called out in a tournament even in most casual games you will get a weird look for it. Since 40k now comes down to inches it can drastically change a situation. What I have seen done is to mount them on a 25mm base then scribe out the center of your 40mm and set the other inside of it. Yes it is a pain and there will be some modifications you need to make but all in all you will be better for it.

A couple things also to consider...I know Space Hulk is your love but in reality you will be playing more 40k games than the other. Back when you used to play it was nothing like it is now. Armies and specialty games are fleeting at best. There are just to many options to play and the following for the new Space Hulk will be slight compared to what it used to be. People will play it and then will go back to playing their standard 40k games. The last thought I have is that with the corridors not being 3D does it really matter that you base hangs over a bit.

Just my opinion on the trend of 40k now versus 10+ years ago when there wasn't anything else to play but Space Hulk and Rogue Trader. Now you have 40K, Apoc, Planet Strike, and City Fight and any other weird combination people play. What it will be is a nice starter mission or side game to interject into a campaign.
Back to top Go down
http://theblackparade2010.blogspot.com/
CaelynTek
Initiate
Initiate
CaelynTek

Terminator Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terminator Bases   Terminator Bases EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 12:33 am

Thanks for your replies guys.

After thinking about it, I don't really care about Termies in 40K. I never plan to play a Marine army anyway. I was going to sell my Marines and Terminators until I found out that Space Hulk was back.

And I probably still will sell my regular Marines, and will just keep the Terminators for exclusive use in Space Hulk.

Back in the day I was the only one in my area that had Space Hulk for a couple of years, then one other guy bought it.... didn't stop me from always finding a game with someone somewhere. If the bruhahah dies down after a while with the new release, I'll still be playing with anyone who wants to.

As for 40K tournaments, I highly doubt I will ever be interested in playing tournaments, not even with my Witchhunters. I don't like what I see when I read about the fighting and arguing that goes on at tourneys, I'm in it to have fun, not play for prizes. I'm perfectly happy just playing friendly games at local stores or homes.
Back to top Go down
wittdooley
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
wittdooley

Terminator Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terminator Bases   Terminator Bases EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 3:00 am

CaelynTek wrote:

As for 40K tournaments, I highly doubt I will ever be interested in playing tournaments, not even with my Witchhunters. I don't like what I see when I read about the fighting and arguing that goes on at tourneys, I'm in it to have fun, not play for prizes. I'm perfectly happy just playing friendly games at local stores or homes.

Dude, I hear you there. That's why I keep eternally taking heat for not playing in the 40k tournies: I just don't want to deal with people that take this GAME too seriously.

Also, if you're looking to unload 'nilla marines, I'm always looking for more. I may be starting a new chapter paint job.
Back to top Go down
HAND OF DUME
Initiate
Initiate

Terminator Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terminator Bases   Terminator Bases EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 7:56 am

CaelynTek wrote:

It's really not as bad as some may make it out to be. Yeah, when you start playing in the national tourney level it tends to get cut throat, but local tourney's are still all about fun and winning prizes if you do well. Local events usually have the "normal" crowd that play at that perticular venue or area anyway, maybe sprinkle in a few outsiders. CAG tourney for example. Don't let hear-say on the forums deter you from attending local events, you may miss out on a good time and even a prize.
Back to top Go down
CaelynTek
Initiate
Initiate
CaelynTek

Terminator Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terminator Bases   Terminator Bases EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 8:08 am

The thing I keep wondering is, If tourneys are as strict to the rules as you guys say, then that means that all armies in tourneys must be painted, yet I still see that about half the people at stores playing games are using unpainted or simply primed miniatures.

If so many people play at the tournies, and tournies are strict on rules, then how can so many of local players be using unpainted minis?
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

Terminator Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terminator Bases   Terminator Bases EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 8:27 am

Because it is more about the game and having fun!
Yes everyone would prefer a fully painted army but that is just no feasiable for some people.... ie me!!!
I don't have time to paint all my armies, I love playing the game, I enjoy interacting with the majority of players.
It would be better if the armies were painted but for me when i run the CAG tourney I'd rather have more players having fun then a few well painted armies...

I challenge you to try some more local tournies they are pretty good around here!!! Krystal Keep runs a bunch of them and are really good at it! The Bookery has had several and were well run as well. And of course people seemed to enjoy the CAG tourney!!!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/makarithraka
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate
Warmonger

Terminator Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terminator Bases   Terminator Bases EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 8:38 am

I've been playing strictly tournaments for about two years now besides the odd practice game (includes local and national tournaments) and have yet to come across a real D---head yet. I have played some people who were by nature just annoying (excassive non stop talking) more than anything but have never had any real issues.

In fact, at the 2nd round of the Ard Boyz tournament I met a real nice guy from Michigan, had an great game and ended up eating lunch together. It was pretty much like that all day and this is the cut throat Ard Boyz?

I think you just hear about the bad instances more because people generally have a way of not forgetting the negative and repeating such stories more often. You can experience those things on pick up games also. I play tournaments because I like the competition and the chance to win Prizes, Free Stuff, Prizes, more Free Stuff Laughing Very Happy

I would like to add that it is also a great way to meet new people. I would never have met any of CAGers if I didn't play in tournaments ( I live near Springfield) and have become good friends with several. If nothing else give the CAG tourney a try it's a great tournament and you will be exposed to local and out of town gamers. You just might be surprised! Smile
Back to top Go down
HAND OF DUME
Initiate
Initiate

Terminator Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terminator Bases   Terminator Bases EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 9:06 am

CaelynTek wrote:
The thing I keep wondering is, If tourneys are as strict to the rules as you guys say, then that means that all armies in tourneys must be painted, yet I still see that about half the people at stores playing games are using unpainted or simply primed miniatures.

If so many people play at the tournies, and tournies are strict on rules, then how can so many of local players be using unpainted minis?

The figs don't necessarily have to be painted. In most cases, you just don't qualify for the painting prizes, that's it. Really man you should try a few and I think you will find out first hand what you're missing, ie FUN!

Oh yeah, I think 'monger was trying to hint to the fact that winning a prize is cool too. Razz lol!
Back to top Go down
CaelynTek
Initiate
Initiate
CaelynTek

Terminator Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terminator Bases   Terminator Bases EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 9:11 am

makari wrote:
Because it is more about the game and having fun!
Yes everyone would prefer a fully painted army but that is just no feasiable for some people.... ie me!!!
I don't have time to paint all my armies, I love playing the game, I enjoy interacting with the majority of players.
It would be better if the armies were painted but for me when i run the CAG tourney I'd rather have more players having fun then a few well painted armies...

But isn't it a GW rule that all armies used in Tourneys MUST be painted with at least 3 colors? I distinctly remember being told that in the past.

I mean, if the rules are strict, shouldn't they all be strict? If someone at a tourney is going to tell me I can't use my mini because I have the wrong sized base, then shouldn't I be able to tell him he can't use his because it isn't painted?

I mean, I like playing with painted figs... it's part of my fun to see the paint jobs and creativity. If I can't even be guaranteed that my opponent at a tourney has painted minis.... then that's just one more reason not to bother with tourneys.
Back to top Go down
HAND OF DUME
Initiate
Initiate

Terminator Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terminator Bases   Terminator Bases EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 9:17 am

I would say it's more an organizers rule than a GW rule.

Truthfully I've seen players just put 3 stripes of 3 different colors on figs. That makes them qualify for the 3 color requirement.

Base size is a totally different issue, being that the amount of paint on a fig will not play any part in the way a game could be played or called, base size could.
Back to top Go down
CaelynTek
Initiate
Initiate
CaelynTek

Terminator Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terminator Bases   Terminator Bases EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 9:20 am

I guess I will just have to deal with the fact that I am one of the few paint to play purists. Too bad considering this is a game for model builders.

Back to the original topic of bases, has anyone else noticed in the release photos at the GW website that the Space Hulk minis come without slotta bases? it looks from the pictures that they all have permanently attached molded bases. If you look at the painted minis in the preview, and at the "What's in the Box" pictures released yesterday.... no bases.
Back to top Go down
Affliction
Forum Moderator
Affliction

Terminator Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terminator Bases   Terminator Bases EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 5:32 pm

Here is the lowdown on painted armies and Tournaments. If you go to a Games Workshop sanctioned event you do have to have all your minis painted to their 3 color standard if they are not you are not even allowed to put them on the board. Now that GW is pulling out of the tournament scene (not sure if temporary or for good) the private organizers like our good friend Sean is wanting more people to play. Having more people does a couple things...one bigger prize lootz for everyone, and two it help build up the community of players that you may never have met just wondering in to the store on a Sunday afternoon.

I have met guys from Dayton who at any time I would play those guys they are smart players and competitive. Also the guys who travel down from Michigan are great player. I hear people always tout the casual game and really casual games usually turn into lets just do whatever and make the rules a gray area because they are to lazy or uneducated to look up rules for themselves. What that does in the long run is makes BAD players. People who do come down to play in your local scene will take back with them that places like Cincinnati a bunch of low class gamers who don't know their rules, and I don't want my city to be known as that. I posted a while back (not sure if it is still sticky'd ) about your responsibility as a player if you get a chance read it if its still up.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a competitive, high action game and still be cool to each other while knowing the rules. On a side note two people who know the rules will on a consistent basis have shorter games than the "casual" player leaving more time to bullshit and build a better community.

And as a last thought. if the rules for a game call that miniatures must be painted you are well within your right to call that person out. Just because you call out someone or question a rule doesn't make you a dick its the way you present your case that makes you a dick or not. Trust me I am a expert at both.
Back to top Go down
http://theblackparade2010.blogspot.com/
CaelynTek
Initiate
Initiate
CaelynTek

Terminator Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terminator Bases   Terminator Bases EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 7:31 pm

Chad wrote:
Here is the lowdown on painted armies and Tournaments. If you go to a Games Workshop sanctioned event you do have to have all your minis painted to their 3 color standard if they are not you are not even allowed to put them on the board. Now that GW is pulling out of the tournament scene (not sure if temporary or for good) the private organizers like our good friend Sean is wanting more people to play. Having more people does a couple things...one bigger prize lootz for everyone, and two it help build up the community of players that you may never have met just wondering in to the store on a Sunday afternoon.

I have met guys from Dayton who at any time I would play those guys they are smart players and competitive. Also the guys who travel down from Michigan are great player. I hear people always tout the casual game and really casual games usually turn into lets just do whatever and make the rules a gray area because they are to lazy or uneducated to look up rules for themselves. What that does in the long run is makes BAD players. People who do come down to play in your local scene will take back with them that places like Cincinnati a bunch of low class gamers who don't know their rules, and I don't want my city to be known as that. I posted a while back (not sure if it is still sticky'd ) about your responsibility as a player if you get a chance read it if its still up.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a competitive, high action game and still be cool to each other while knowing the rules. On a side note two people who know the rules will on a consistent basis have shorter games than the "casual" player leaving more time to bullshit and build a better community.

And as a last thought. if the rules for a game call that miniatures must be painted you are well within your right to call that person out. Just because you call out someone or question a rule doesn't make you a dick its the way you present your case that makes you a dick or not. Trust me I am a expert at both.

Thanks Chad, I see your points and they do make sense to me. That's a good way of looking at things.

I'm still not gonna play an unpainted mini though...except for when Space Hulk is released and I can't wait to play. Smile
Back to top Go down
HAND OF DUME
Initiate
Initiate

Terminator Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terminator Bases   Terminator Bases EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 10:37 pm

When you get you figs completed... take the chance and try a tourney.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Terminator Bases Empty
PostSubject: Re: Terminator Bases   Terminator Bases Empty

Back to top Go down

Terminator Bases
Page 1 of 1