CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Imperial Guard 1850...comments please!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate
Warmonger

Imperial Guard 1850...comments please! Empty
PostSubject: Imperial Guard 1850...comments please!   Imperial Guard 1850...comments please! EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 12:56 pm

This is a list that I am currently in the process of building. It is a tournament list. Lets hear what you think!

HQ:

150 CCS w/ 2 melta's, 1 lasconnon, Astropath, Fleet Officer
75 Chimera w/ hvy bolter, dozer blades, hvy stubber

Troops:

110 10 Vets w/ 2 melta's, 1 lascannon
75 Chimera w/ hvy bolter, dozer, hvy stubber

110 10 Vets w/ 2 melta's, 1 las cannon

130 10 Vets w/ 3 melta's, demolition

70 5 Inguisition Storm Troopers w/ 2 melta's

Fast:

130 1 Vendetta

130 1 Vendetta

100 1 Valkyrie

Elites:

54 Inquisitor w/ 2 mystics, psychic hood, bolt pistol, frag
66 Rhino w/ pintle mount storm bolter, dozer, smoke

Heavy:

240 Executioner w/ plasma sponsons, dozer, hvy bolter

185 Leman Russ w/ las cannon, dozer, hvy stubber

150 Basilisk w/ dozer, enclosed

1850 pts.
Back to top Go down
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate
Warmonger

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Guard 1850...comments please!   Imperial Guard 1850...comments please! EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 10:16 am

20 some views and no comments, your silence speaks volumes!
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Guard 1850...comments please!   Imperial Guard 1850...comments please! EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 10:40 am

The only thoughts I would have on it are that you don't have very many bodies. I mean, you'll be able to trash a lot of stuff, but your vets aren't going to last very long, so you may not be able to hold objectives if playing an objectives game. The good thing about the new codex is you can take a lot of big guns/tanks, bad thing is, if you do, you really limit yourself with troops. I ran a list similar (but not exactly the same) with limited troops, and got my @$$ handed to me by space marines when it came to troops.

My thoughts: drop the chimeras for the vets. Transport them in the vendettas/Valkyrie. That will give you the mobility you need and free up points. Also remove the lascannons from them, if you are going to be moving them, they won't be able to shoot them when you disembark, and if you want to use them at all, you can't move the unit, which means you'll be entrenched in cover and can't attempt to contest objectives and what not, or you'll not be able to shoot with it, and if you're in cover, most likely the meltas would then go to waste because of their short range. The valkyrie/vendettas would get you close enough to where the meltas would be in range.

Truth be told, I would even get rid of the storm troopers.... Maybe drop the Valk, or make all three valks, then use all of the extra points to do a troop platoon. Then, you can take a lascannon or two, and have a bunch more bodies to shoot with/contest with/help your vets survive. I would probably say two vendettas would be sufficient... I think you'll find that they die easily (at least mine did when I used them).

I hope that all makes sense....
Back to top Go down
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate
Warmonger

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Guard 1850...comments please!   Imperial Guard 1850...comments please! EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 12:06 pm

Thanks for the response! The storm troopers are all ready slotted for the Valkyrie and the demo-vets in a Vendetta which leaves one Vendetta left. I could put another unit of vets in the Vendetta but the list is also set-up for easy conversion to a 1750 list by dropping the Valkyrie and yet still lets the list play the same.

I could drop the Storm Troopers for another unit of vets, but it saved me some points for the demolition ability which I really want to try out. I may yet go back to vets if the demo charge keeps scattering and killing my own guys, but it is something I need to playtest. also they along with the Inquisitor I think will help give a focal point for the army.

I guess a little explanation along with the list would be helpful in the future. Embarassed thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Guard 1850...comments please!   Imperial Guard 1850...comments please! EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 12:59 pm

No problem Smile I was just trying to convey some of the experience that I've had with my guard, so take it with a grain of salt, I'm sure you'll have much better luck than I have (just look at my record, lol!)
Back to top Go down
Ricter
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Guard 1850...comments please!   Imperial Guard 1850...comments please! EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 1:26 pm

You're wasting a lot of points on conflicting roles for your units.

For example, you're running meltaguns and lascannons in the same squads. Drop the lascannons.

I'd really suggest dropping the troopers, they're bad in this codex.

You don't need the rhino for the inquisitor, put him in a bird. Or get another unit of troops and put them in a bird. Don't pay points for a transport you're not actually going to use.

Heavy bolter and stubber aren't necessary on the heavies, but you might not have anywhere better to spend the points.

I understand the draw for switching between lists easily, but if you really want a strong list, this isn't often easy.
Back to top Go down
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate
Warmonger

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Guard 1850...comments please!   Imperial Guard 1850...comments please! EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 4:30 pm

The storm troopers are Inquisition from the Daemon Hunters codex. They are the same as vets but a smaller squad size and a little cheaper and scoring. The funny thing is I only took them to save some points and ended up spending the points on hvy stubbers. So lets drop a couple of hvy stubbers and the trooper squad for another vet squad with some meltas.

The hvy bolters are free standard equipment but I might switch a couple out for hvy flamers which is a free swap. The Inquisitor needs to be able to deploy next to the executioner especially when playing drop pods or daemons which is easier to do in a rhino.

thanks for the input Smile
Back to top Go down
archite666
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Guard 1850...comments please!   Imperial Guard 1850...comments please! EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 8:07 am

I'll take a crack at this baby.

Warmonger wrote:
HQ:

150 CCS w/ 2 melta's, 1 lasconnon, Astropath, Fleet Officer
75 Chimera w/ hvy bolter, dozer blades, hvy stubber

Ok here are two problems. The meltas want you go zooming into danger, and the lascannon doest. Drop the lascannon, pick up 2 more meltas. Pick up a flameer on the chimera. Drop the dozer blade and stubber unless your at the end of your points.
Troops:

110 10 Vets w/ 2 melta's, 1 lascannon

110 10 Vets w/ 2 melta's, 1 las cannon

Same thing here. If you feel you have too much melta (never in this edition) swtich to plasma. Remember vets can ahve 3 sepcial weapons.
130 10 Vets w/ 3 melta's, demolition

These guys in a V series are amazing!

70 5 Inguisition Storm Troopers w/ 2 melta's

Id seriously drop the storm troopers, you will have too much anti goodness already.
Fast:

130 1 Vendetta

130 1 Vendetta

100 1 Valkyrie

This is good but a valk without pods is extremly poor. Gets some pods for smashing hoards.

Elites:

54 Inquisitor w/ 2 mystics, psychic hood, bolt pistol, frag
66 Rhino w/ pintle mount storm bolter, dozer, smoke

I run a IQ, I love him especially in a V series. Drop the hood. I know its tempting but his low LD will never get anything done. I'v tested this.
Heavy:

240 Executioner w/ plasma sponsons, dozer, hvy bolter

YES! I use one of these as well. Drop the dozer once again.

185 Leman Russ w/ las cannon, dozer, hvy stubber

150 Basilisk w/ dozer, enclosed

With the stuff you dropped you will be able to drop this russ and basilisk and pick up two superior tanks. I personally love the russ. I do armored screens of AV14. With that said I like the vanilla or the demolisher.
1850 pts.

Hope that helps, you can pm questions if you have them
Back to top Go down
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate
Warmonger

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Guard 1850...comments please!   Imperial Guard 1850...comments please! EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 12:06 pm

Yea, as I said above I'm dropping some hvy stubbers and the troopers for more vets with meltas. I agree that you can't have enough melta death but thats not the reason the chimera mounted troops and HQ also have a lascannon. I can't really explain without going into tactics (I'm not opening that can of worms) so just take my word that they are fine. I will say that just because you have meltas doesn't mean you have to run head long at the enemy with them. Think outside the box on that one.

Quote :
I run a IQ, I love him especially in a V series. Drop the hood. I know its tempting but his low LD will never get anything done.

I don't know what you mean by IQ, and I was wondering when something would be said about the dozer blades. I'm in a bit of mind set on those for a couple of reasons. First...with that many vehicles on the table your bound to eventually have to move through some cover and Second...after my last game in round 2 of the Ard Boyz tourney where all I needed was to be able to move one vehicle across a small stream to set up a tank shock and to capture the objective. I had 2 vehicles set up to be able to do this and both got immobilised crossing the stream. Boy did I wish for a dozer blade then, I could be going to Chicago for the finals, but oh well no sence crying over spilled milk, there is always next year. Smile

thanks
Back to top Go down
HAND OF DUME
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Guard 1850...comments please!   Imperial Guard 1850...comments please! EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 6:50 pm

Warmonger wrote:
I will say that just because you have meltas doesn't mean you have to run head long at the enemy with them. Think outside the box on that one.

AGREED!

As a heavy user of melta, I can personally say from experience that they are not used only as a offensive weapon.

The list that this army is modeled after rolled an 1850 tourney for first place with a perfect score. Although this list is not a mirror image of that perticular army, the foundation of it is close and totally solid.
Back to top Go down
archite666
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Guard 1850...comments please!   Imperial Guard 1850...comments please! EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 10:55 pm

Regardless of how you slice it.

Your list has alot of bells and whistles.

I give you this advice as a fellow mech guard player, who plays 1850.

IQ is an inquisitor.

I'm not trying to one up you, but as I compare lists, I have alot more bang for the buck.

You might have dozer blades but I have more vehicles. Wargear for mech vets is really a bad idea. The unit themselfs are the work horse and need very little.

I imagen you play as a typical guard player. I play the complete opposite and am very aggressive. Hence why I would never use the lascannon.

I don't really understand your logic behind meltas being defencive. In this edition they are king and no one tournament worthy walks into melta range.

As for deepstriking pods... Well thats highly laughable with an IQ in the middle of your formation. You can litterally wipe half a space marine army on THEIR turn with those nifty buggers.
Back to top Go down
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate
Warmonger

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Guard 1850...comments please!   Imperial Guard 1850...comments please! EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 11:37 pm

Quote :
I'm not trying to one up you, but as I compare lists, I have alot more bang for the buck

Why would I think that? I posted a list and asked for comments. All opinions are welcome. Doesn't mean I agree or disagree, doesn't mean I will take the advice doesn't mean I won't either.

Quote :
IQ is an inquisitor
I wasn't sure if this was a typo for HQ.
I'm not sure what you refer to as bells and whistles lascannons and dozer blades IMO are not that. I think your a little off track on the meltas, they are more universal then you give them credit.

Quote :
I imagen you play as a typical guard player.
I don't know if I do or not, I've never played IG before only against them. I've been playing chaos for the past 2 years.

Quote :
I don't really understand your logic behind meltas being defencive. In this edition they are king and no one tournament worthy walks into melta range

kind of makes holding objectives easy don't ya think!

thanks for the comments
Back to top Go down
HAND OF DUME
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Guard 1850...comments please!   Imperial Guard 1850...comments please! EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 7:26 pm

archite666 wrote:
I don't really understand your logic behind meltas being defencive. In this edition they are king and no one tournament worthy walks into melta range.

Like 'monger said , sit on an objective and dare your opponent to come get some!
Walk into melta range?
If you want that objective, you'll have to, tournament worthy or not.
Back to top Go down
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate
Warmonger

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Guard 1850...comments please!   Imperial Guard 1850...comments please! EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 12:00 pm

Here is my revised list, thanks for all the comments. There is still one hvy slot that I'm not sure about. I've included the Demolisher in the list but am still torn between it a Basilisk or a Manticore. I guess I will just have to play test and find out which one works best for me!

HQ
CCS w/ 2 meltas, 1 lascannon, astropath, fleet officer
Chimera w/ hvy bolter, hvy stubber
225 pts.

Troops
10 vets w/ 2 meltas, 1 lascannon
Chimera w/ hvy bolter, dozer, hvy stubber
10 vets w/ 2 meltas, 1 lascannon
Chimera w/ hvy bolter
10 vets w/ 3 meltas, demolition
10 vets w/ 3 meltas
580 pts.

Elite
Inquisitor w/ 2 mystics, bolt pistol, frag
Rhino w/ smoke, dozer
90 pts.

Fast
Vendetta
Vendetta
Valkyrie
360 pts.

Heavy
Executioner w/ plasma sponsons, dozer
Leman Russ w/ lascannon, dozer
Demolisher w/ lascannon, dozer
605 pts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Imperial Guard 1850...comments please!   Imperial Guard 1850...comments please! Empty

Back to top Go down

Imperial Guard 1850...comments please!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Warhammer 40k :: 40k Army Lists and Tactics-
Jump to: