CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol

Go down 
+4
Mendin
quickfuze
JJM
Mike Leon
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol Empty
PostSubject: Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol   Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 8:23 pm

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/254609.page

For anyone who plays 40k, you need to look at this thread on dakka.

To sum it up (in case you're lazy) someone pointed out a few days ago that the rules for spearhead deployment say that the first player to set up must deploy 12" away from the middle. Then it says the second player to set up must deploy in the opposite table quarter.

So the RAW would have it that the second player can put his whole army smack in the middle of the board.

Of course there is a massive flame war over this, but an alarming number of players have agreed with the interpretation. Some have said everyone plays it that way where they come from. A few people even pointed out that the pitched battle rules make a similar oversight.

I just think it's funny.
Back to top Go down
http://whowritesthisstuff.net/
JJM
Neophyte
JJM

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol   Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 8:48 pm

So for us newbies that havent played 40k yet what is the right way to interpret this, 12" for both or just player 1?
i havent played a single game yet but would like to know how you all play it before i do.
Back to top Go down
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol   Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 9:02 pm

Short answer - we're not sure.

For the record, everyone I have ever met plays it where both players must be 12" from the center.

But the rules really do say that the second player can set up closer to the middle. There is no arguing it.

The problem is that it may actually be a mistake/poor wording in the rulebook.

Yakface is looking at it for Adepticon, but he doesn't appear to have ruled either way yet.
Back to top Go down
quickfuze
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol   Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 10:36 pm

Oh i am sure of the rules. Let me put it this way. Game rules are not perfect. There will always be rules lawyers who will look for any advantage they can get because the only thing they have in their life is how many wins they can log with their little plastic men and dice. (See mike leon's "north american neckbeard" article). Normal people can rationalize using a mystical thing called "common sense" and realize that based on the diagram, not to mention the strategic impact this would have, that the rule applies to both players. Now most likely any respected tourny you go to will rule it that you both have to deploy 12" away from center. In casual gaming if you opponent insists on this he is prob playing some fast close combat oriented army and I would just say..."thanks but no thanks..oh yeah I conceed if that makes you feel better, go home and adjust your little win record on your avatar...im gonna go have sex with my wife."
Back to top Go down
Mendin
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol   Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 2:48 am

Goddammit GW Rules (and GW Rules interpreting players)

When does Warmachine MK II come out again?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol   Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 7:13 am

isn't there a diagram in the book?
Back to top Go down
HAND OF DUME
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol   Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 8:30 am

Yeah John, there's a diagram that clearly shows that all quadrants of the board have to be 12" from the center. I think the diagram should alleviate any further arguments of this issue, but hey who am I to judge... let Yakface and his team figure this one out. Until then, I'm playing the way I have always played... with both players 12" away from the center.

Sometimes players delve a little too deep to find BS!
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol   Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 9:14 am

Rolling Eyes

I'd shake hands and move on if my opponent was such an arse..
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol   Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 11:08 am

I read the post. I love the arguement that the diagram is only to be used for Player 1. That it isn't meant to apply to player 2. What a bunch of Asshats on that site.
Back to top Go down
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol   Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 5:28 pm

They don't play around on dakka.

This is one of those things that GW should fix. It's potentially 100% game breaking insanity, and yet I doubt they'll chime in at all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol   Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 7:49 pm

They don't play but they take it to the point of being retarded. To discount a graphic interpretation as meaningless is complete bullstuff. It tells you what you should be doing regardless of the words. To fall back on that is the worst kind of jack ass.

I can't believe you'd even feel the need for GW to weigh in on this Mike. The example is clear. It is meant to be used with the words and "illustrate" the author's intent. Neither is meant to stand on their own.

The only reason they do it is to engage in a GW bashing. If there were an "honest" poll about how you play it might be 90:10. And I'd lay my money on north of 90% play it as equivalent deployment zones.
Back to top Go down
Affliction
Forum Moderator
Affliction

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol   Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 4:01 am

John is correct with going to the diagram. If you look at it, no matter what quarter you chose the other is shaded the same color indicating that the 2nd person deploys there with the 12" circle on both quarters.

I agree with Marc also if anyone ever tried this I would find another opponent (minus the hand shake, I wouldn't want to take a chance of their stupidity rubbing off on me).
Back to top Go down
http://theblackparade2010.blogspot.com/
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol   Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 2:02 pm

Wow, guys I apologize...

I wished stupidity into the world, but I didn't realize something like this would happen.
Back to top Go down
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol   Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 5:50 am

A 90:10 split is still 10% more TFGs than I want to deal with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol   Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol Empty

Back to top Go down

Spearhead: You're doing it wrong lolololololol
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Warhammer 40k :: 40k Rules Questions & Discussion-
Jump to: