CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tyrant Guard: Cover Saves

Go down 
+2
Mike Leon
Chethrok_Bloodfist
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Chethrok_Bloodfist
Neophyte
Chethrok_Bloodfist

Tyrant Guard: Cover Saves Empty
PostSubject: Tyrant Guard: Cover Saves   Tyrant Guard: Cover Saves EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 10:34 pm

I have a question about mixed units, monstrous creatures, and cover saves.

Hive Tyrants are Monstrous Creatures, and therefore can't use Gaunts for cover. Tyrant Guard, however, are Infantry, so shooting through Gaunts at a Tyrant Guard will provide a 4+ cover save.

So when shooting at a Tyrant and his Guard when behind another Tyranid unit, can wounds allocated to the Tyrant Guard benefit from cover saves? If so, this would seem to be a decent tactic for absorbing high-AP shots directed at the Tyrant.
Back to top Go down
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

PostSubject: Re: Tyrant Guard: Cover Saves   Tyrant Guard: Cover Saves EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 12:57 am

I believe that, not only can the guards take cover saves, the tyrant can as well. This is because he is part of the same unit, and cover saves apply to whole units as long as 50% of that unit is behind cover. Two or more guards must be in cover for this to work.
Back to top Go down
http://whowritesthisstuff.net/
Chethrok_Bloodfist
Neophyte
Chethrok_Bloodfist

PostSubject: Re: Tyrant Guard: Cover Saves   Tyrant Guard: Cover Saves EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 9:17 am

Neato. This seems like a solid tactic for screening the big gribbly while he's closing with the enemy. I'm thinking about a list that involves two Hive Tyrants with Hive Commander and a massive Turn Two Deep Strike with Mycetic Spores and Trygons.
Back to top Go down
HAND OF DUME
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: Tyrant Guard: Cover Saves   Tyrant Guard: Cover Saves EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 5:36 pm

I think mycetic spores are going to be the ticket... especially for zoans and alpha strike lists.
Back to top Go down
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate
Warmonger

PostSubject: Re: Tyrant Guard: Cover Saves   Tyrant Guard: Cover Saves EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 8:51 am

There is some controversy about the Tyrant getting cover saves when attached with tyrant guard. As the guard are classified as infantry and the tyrant is a MC., both have seperate rules for cover saves and are not normally allowed to join together. In so that there is not any rules in the BRB that cover that situation and the codex does not address it either. Hopefully the GW FAQ will explain it when it comes out or the INAT FAQ should be out in a couple of weeks, maybe it will address it. scratch
Back to top Go down
Ronniem11
Initiate
Initiate
Ronniem11

PostSubject: Re: Tyrant Guard: Cover Saves   Tyrant Guard: Cover Saves EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 9:46 am

It does say in the Codex that when a Tyrant joins the guard that the guard can't go to ground voluntarily or involuntary and they get all the Tyrants attributes as an independent character gives units so I would think, even though I would like to be be that the tyrant gets the cover save, that the whole unit becomes vulnerable not allowing the cover save from the gants but you have to allocate all the wounds to the guard first I believe.
Back to top Go down
Chethrok_Bloodfist
Neophyte
Chethrok_Bloodfist

PostSubject: Re: Tyrant Guard: Cover Saves   Tyrant Guard: Cover Saves EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 1:18 pm

Well, in this edition you don't have to allocate all the wounds to the guards first, and the inability to go to ground says nothing about the presence or lack of cover saves. I guess, as Warmonger said, there isn't anything said about it anywhere, and we need to wait for a FAQ to find out for sure.
Back to top Go down
mikerollsones
Neophyte
mikerollsones

PostSubject: Re: Tyrant Guard: Cover Saves   Tyrant Guard: Cover Saves EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 6:01 pm

so can tyrants get cover from warriors?
Back to top Go down
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate
Warmonger

PostSubject: Re: Tyrant Guard: Cover Saves   Tyrant Guard: Cover Saves EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 9:01 pm

Until GW comes out with their Faq for Tyranids, the INAT Faq has addressed this issue. page 91

Q: Is a Tyrant joined with a Tyrant Guard unit able to utilize cover saves from intervening units and terrain that doesn't physically cover 50% of the Tyrant model?

A: Yes, as long as half the models in the Tyrant/Tyrant Guard unit count as being in cover then the entire unit gets a cover regardless of whether the Tyrant model itself is obscured.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tyrant Guard: Cover Saves   Tyrant Guard: Cover Saves Empty

Back to top Go down

Tyrant Guard: Cover Saves
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Warhammer 40k :: 40k Rules Questions & Discussion-
Jump to: