CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I hate drop pods.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

I hate drop pods. Empty
PostSubject: I hate drop pods.   I hate drop pods. EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 10:08 pm

I hate them. I hate them. I hate them.

It is the worst kit GW has ever made (although I have not assembled a thunderfire cannon). None of it fits together properly. The doors come in two parts that can't be glued together because they don't fit right. The fins don't align properly. The one I just bought was warped so badly I had to heat it over the oven as per Chad's recommendation to melt it back into shape.

It just seems like it could have been much easier. I can think of several ways myself that the kit would have fit together better. Bad GW. Bad.
Back to top Go down
http://whowritesthisstuff.net/
Affliction
Forum Moderator
Affliction

I hate drop pods. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I hate drop pods.   I hate drop pods. EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 3:24 am

I have 5 they all fit together perfectly.

I admit there may have been a easier way of casting it but all in all not a bad model. The one you had yesterday was pretty jacked up on the one piece but I don't really have a problem with the model itself, just takes a little work to get things to fit.
Back to top Go down
http://theblackparade2010.blogspot.com/

I hate drop pods. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I hate drop pods.   I hate drop pods. EmptyThu Apr 15, 2010 4:18 am

Mike,

The doors need to be super clean to fit right. Not even a little hint of sprue left on as well as the mold lines.

As for fit, they fit like a glove but the secret is "Fast assembly". You need the glue to be still wet on all 5 fins and assemblies. Then you need to press the whole thing together (doors up fit into the 2 peg/hole slots at the top of the door and hull) at once while the glue is still not dry and secure it. I use large rubber bands. to hold it.

If it is warped, your screwed. I'd immediately request another kit from GW.

And I will state after 6 years of miniatures with many manufacturers multi piece metal kits, Thunderfire Cannon is by far the worst model I have ever assembled.
Back to top Go down
Stinkyninja
Neophyte
Stinkyninja

I hate drop pods. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I hate drop pods.   I hate drop pods. EmptyMon May 03, 2010 4:34 pm

I just built 2 of them,

They are a task indeed -
I did a rapid fire construct and held it together to get the shape uniform.
Then I have sculpted battle foam trays that holds it snug popped them in the slots overnight it is a snug fit.

next day it retained its shape and the doors open and close correctly...
Will be adding 2 more but I have to admit they are a tough one I have seen acouple of guys discouraged and glue the doors shut before the cure time even sets in...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I hate drop pods. Empty
PostSubject: Re: I hate drop pods.   I hate drop pods. Empty

Back to top Go down

I hate drop pods.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Painting, Conversions and Tutorials :: WIP Miniature Painting and Conversions-
Jump to: