CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

[any RPG] BIG Floating, hovering chunks of ROCK, Cities...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Qoltar
Initiate
Initiate
Qoltar

[any RPG] BIG Floating, hovering chunks of ROCK, Cities... Empty
PostSubject: [any RPG] BIG Floating, hovering chunks of ROCK, Cities...   [any RPG] BIG Floating, hovering chunks of ROCK, Cities... EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 3:21 pm

About 10 to 15 years ago I fell in love with an image on a poster. It was a castle or fortress on top of a very vertical chunk of rock/chunk of earth that was hovering over an ocean. there may have been a bit of beach in the foreground.

This poster was too much for me to afford at the time and I wish I had bought it. Later I find out its a famous painting by a pretty famous artist and I just missed by days seeing it displayed in Cincinnati. (Went blank on the name of the artist, can ANYONE help ? He's french I think...and the painting had the word saint in the title of it)

Also, the same image was used in one of the very earliest computer animation videos. It was a long camera zoomout from the castle structure and ended on the same image as the famous painting.

To connect that to role-playing games....

BOTH the 4th edition DUNGEONS & DRAGONS PHB and DMG have similiar "Floating/hovering rocks" in illustrations on their back covers.

I saw that and thought "Thats looks cool, I sure hope they have an adeventure module with something like that as a setting."

Did they?

Have any of you guys seen a GOOD adventure set on one of those huge chunks of rock in the sky?

You might also call these things floating islands in the sky.

Heck, the movie AVATAR also had huge floating/hovering chunks of rock that were big enough to have small forests on them.

Have any Sci-Fi RPG adventures featured those big chunks of rock?
Or better yet - Floating Cities!!

Floating Cities - those qualify too.

Examples include: Hawkmen city in FLASH GORDON, Stratos cloud city in STAR TREK: TOS, the wealthy estates in the episode "Trash" of "FIREFLY".(you get the idea)

Any of you guys write an adventure that utilized the artwork from the back of either the D&D 4/e PHB or DMG?

- Ed C.
Back to top Go down
Ruler of Eden
Neophyte
Ruler of Eden

PostSubject: Re: [any RPG] BIG Floating, hovering chunks of ROCK, Cities...   [any RPG] BIG Floating, hovering chunks of ROCK, Cities... EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 10:20 pm

Qoltar wrote:
Any of you guys write an adventure that utilized the artwork from the back of either the D&D 4/e PHB or DMG?

- Ed C.
You just gave me the great idea I was looking for. My D&D campaign could use some fresh ideas, and you gave me something extraordinary. I own almost every D&D 4e rulebook, from Adventurer's Vault to Underdark. I can already see the many adventures based solely on the backs of the books.
Back to top Go down
http://jordanisaacsrpg.wordpress.com
Lord of Change
Neophyte
Lord of Change

PostSubject: Re: [any RPG] BIG Floating, hovering chunks of ROCK, Cities...   [any RPG] BIG Floating, hovering chunks of ROCK, Cities... EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 3:38 pm

Savage Worlds put out Sundered Skies which is exactly a floating island campaign setting.

http://www.tripleacegames.com/SunderedSkies.php

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [any RPG] BIG Floating, hovering chunks of ROCK, Cities...   [any RPG] BIG Floating, hovering chunks of ROCK, Cities... Empty

Back to top Go down

[any RPG] BIG Floating, hovering chunks of ROCK, Cities...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Other Gaming :: Role Playing Games-
Jump to: