A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Just a survey on wargames we played Before the age of 40k

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stinkyninja
Neophyte

PostSubject: Just a survey on wargames we played Before the age of 40k   Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:16 pm

Well for me there was only board games no PC -
My all time favorite was risk.

Does anyone remember who sunk my battle ship ???

Really old school was a bag of marbles and 2 shoe boxes of plastic army men. We would set them up you had the grey german ones and the pea green american ones.We would set them up and chunk marbles at them until there was only one guy standing...

Just for the "Hey" of it and while enjoying a semi anon status what wargames did you play growing up ???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Just a survey on wargames we played Before the age of 40k   Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:47 am

Risk and Axis and Allies fo me growing up as a kid.....then I got into DnD and that's where I came across the GW Universe for the first time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stinkyninja
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: Just a survey on wargames we played Before the age of 40k   Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:37 pm

Awesome,
My friend who has been gaming with me ,MTG ETC...
Just took the dive and bought the 90 dollar battleforce
Chaos Marines set. thats 2 people my brother and my friend who fell to the sickness along with me

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NewportGames
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: Just a survey on wargames we played Before the age of 40k   Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:28 pm

I started wargaming in the 1960s playing Avalon Hill's Stalingrad (still a good game) and started gravitating to miniatures in the so call Golden Age of Wargaming in the 1970s. Then I played Napoleonics and Civil War in 15mm. Back then you really did not have a great selection to choose from. Avalon Hill and Strategy and Tactics were the two main boardgame manufacturers, MiniFigs was one of the primary miniature wargame manufactures and they are still around and Fantasy gaming was just being invented "D&D". Still the 1970s was a vibrant time in the hobby and stayed that way until the mid 1990s when many old-line wargammers like myself let career get in the way of fun. Many of those old-line gamers like myself are coming back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nky-photos.com
Matt
CAG Founder

PostSubject: Re: Just a survey on wargames we played Before the age of 40k   Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:30 pm

MTG, Necromunda and GorkaMorka were the big ones for me.

Draw - 2 (The 13th hold out in alpha take and hold)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cincycag.forumotion.com
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Just a survey on wargames we played Before the age of 40k   Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:49 am

I started with Risk and didn't do any other wargaming till I was introduced to DnD. The I couldn't get enough for a while. roleplaying, ancients, board games like Empires at Arms, if they were playing it at the local store, I was there. I even tried Chainmail, ( still own the rules) until I got into Warhammer fantasy in the late 80's, early 90's sometime.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marc
Fantasy Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Just a survey on wargames we played Before the age of 40k   Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:25 am

Nothing really.. Axis & Allies regards to boardgames.

Played both Fantasy (when the Empire had Ogres, Halflings and foot Reiks) and of course 40k (fricken OVERWATCH) right out of the chute..
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cincycag.forumotion.com/

PostSubject: Re: Just a survey on wargames we played Before the age of 40k   Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:00 pm

I had the first edition of WHFB in 1983. I had been playing and painting then for D&D. This first edition had chits to move around. Strangely though I really didn't like the gaming as much as painting. So I did that more often.

Followed later w/ 3rd editions

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just a survey on wargames we played Before the age of 40k   Today at 9:22 am

Back to top Go down

Just a survey on wargames we played Before the age of 40k
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1