CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY

Go down 
+2
Mike Leon
Stinkyninja
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Stinkyninja
Neophyte
Stinkyninja

I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY Empty
PostSubject: I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY   I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 9:25 pm

Granted I am learning the rules and it is possible that I could be very well disinformed...

If true this to me is nutz,
How does any 40k faction other than orcs, contend with this type of army list...

My Blood Angels are like uber pricey to deploy or add to a standard list.
Even with the nice assault or close range of certain units.It doesnt seem to be enough to take down so massive an army.

I pose this question due to being a bit green and it is the faction that my brother is building.All for the purpose of going at each other on the game table when we hook up...

I find this to be quite discouraging because my brother and I go at it on different games. We been like this for years. I am putting alot into this game. And shudder a bit to think its just to be wiped by some type of horde list.Buying codex for orcs to try and understand this type of army ...

Some one tell me I am wrong-hopefully

Thanx
Back to top Go down
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

PostSubject: Re: I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY   I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 10:11 pm

I can eat 150 orks for breakfast. Bring it on.
Back to top Go down
http://whowritesthisstuff.net/
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY   I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY EmptySat May 01, 2010 12:21 am

Yes you can get 150 Orks on the table, But more impressively you can fit 180 Ork Boyz and 3 Looted Wagons with Boomguns and have plenty for 2 warbosses!

But keep in mind that for the most part the points balance out. If you take that many orks you are limited on what you can do... But yes it is not a fun list to play if played right.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/makarithraka
BoomFex
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY   I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY EmptySat May 01, 2010 3:06 pm

Mike Leon wrote:
I can eat 150 orks for breakfast. Bring it on.

Thank you Mike, that was very helpful.

It is true that orks can field obscene amounts of boyz. I accually played an ork army with over 200 bodies in a 2500pt game. When playing an elite army, such as Blood Angels, it can become rather daunting.

Using your opponents large squads against them is an excellent strategy. Deploying on a flank where only one unit can charge you at a time is a great idea, keeping counter charge units right behind. As Makari suggested your opponent will have very little support. For orks, this tends to mean very little anti-tank. One easy strategy would be to throw one or two assault squads in rhinos with dual flamers. Move your transports over 6" right in front of his squads. He charges your rhinos, then you flamer his now nicely compact units...killing tons or boyz...and assaulting the remains. You have now traded a 40pt transport for a 180pt ork mob. Your jump packs will give you a huge maneuverability advantage. Two assault squads hitting one ork mob and then consolidating away from his support will slowly pick apart his large force. Baal predators are not the worst idea in the world either.

If you take anything from this post it would be not to fret. These are just a few suggestions on how to deal with an ork swarm. Experience playing against the list will teach you how to beat it, so try to schedule some games with other ork players.

Sorry about the quasi-rant.
Back to top Go down
Stinkyninja
Neophyte
Stinkyninja

PostSubject: Re: I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY   I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY EmptySat May 01, 2010 5:31 pm

Boomfex you rock and thank you Bro.

You have to admit with such a large amount of mini's on board.It does appear to be an awful task indeed to who ever has to contend with it...
Back to top Go down
Eidolon
Neophyte
Eidolon

PostSubject: Re: I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY   I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY EmptyThu May 13, 2010 1:22 pm

Often times someone running a horde army is going more for intimidation then actual strategy. And if you arent afraid you have won half the battle. As such I recommend not being afraid.

Boomfex has some very solid advice, if you can isolate units, set them up to get jumped by multiple squads, and leave him with little counter attack ability you win.

I have also found that orks tend to hit hard in one turn, and if you survive they have lost.

I used to be terrified of orks, but after working out some ways to slaughter them I am no longer afraid to play them. This could all be because I havent been playing particularly quality ork players, but I think orks have a very quick topping out rate, and there isnt much you can do with them tactically. Play a few games against them, and after a while once you start winning he loses out on tactical options to turn the tides to his favor.
Back to top Go down
NewportGames
Neophyte
NewportGames

PostSubject: Re: I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY   I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY EmptySun May 23, 2010 10:19 pm

I am going to steal on of Stalin's famous quotes but "Quantity has a Quality all it Own".

There is a lot of truth to Stalin's famous saying.

The problem with high quality troops is once losses start to occur your fighting ability goes down much more rapidly than say Orc's which can absorb losses rather easily. To beat them you have to fight a smarter battle. Just standing and slugging it out is a sure fire way to lose.

The Germans beat the Russians over and over again with superior tactics and maneuver. Same principles here. But if you stand still and slug it out once you start to take loses your fighting ability drops much faster than the Orcs and you will lose.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nky-photos.com
Stinkyninja
Neophyte
Stinkyninja

PostSubject: Re: I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY   I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY EmptyWed May 26, 2010 1:50 pm

Roger that,

I would still like to see a tactic surface that doesnt require a constant movement on the part of Marines or any other army that depends on options, such as fire power or psyche abilities for the purpose of culling the masses...

A suggestion was made to me by an Orc player- To focus on one mob until the number drop is effective enough to lower the effectiveness of that certain mob. Then move on to the next , while this does seem plausible in theory.

I see a major flaw in this strategy, due to the fact that if you take damage or loss of key troops in any given unit or even the loss of a tank.You may not have the ability to repeat the tactic again.

Which would leave you wide open for a mob of orcs at full strength...

I actually watched a somewhat the same type of battle play out , at CAG Bash that was Nids doing the horde thing against some Marines...

It was ugly-
Just sharing my thoughts here.

There should be some type of positioning or something depending on board set up.That could effectively perform the same task. Maybe a certain Army list based on fast attack Vehicles-I don't know...

Han Dynasty 16 wins 7 losses
Blood Angels 1 win 0 losses
Back to top Go down
NewportGames
Neophyte
NewportGames

PostSubject: Re: I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY   I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY EmptyThu May 27, 2010 6:53 pm

There was an article in White Dwarf #362 not to long ago where an Imperial Guard army took on a Ork army.

Turn 1. Valkyrie flys behind the Ork lines using its scouting ability and positions itself behind a Ork Battlewagon. Blasts the Ork Battlewagon in its weak spot (rear armor) and lands on the objective and deploys a squad of ratling to hold it.

Through the use of maneuver the Imperial Guard grabbed the initiative and took out a key piece of enemy equipment. Now the Orks face both troops to their front and rear and the enemy is sitting on an objective. All in one turn. Talk about rattling your opponent's nerves and disrupting his plans.

That is how it is done.
Back to top Go down
Stinkyninja
Neophyte
Stinkyninja

PostSubject: Re: I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY   I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY EmptyThu May 27, 2010 7:34 pm

very cool-do you have a link to article ?
Back to top Go down
NewportGames
Neophyte
NewportGames

PostSubject: Re: I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY   I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY EmptyThu May 27, 2010 7:46 pm

No link but I do have the mag here at the shop.
Back to top Go down
Stinkyninja
Neophyte
Stinkyninja

PostSubject: Re: I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY   I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY EmptySat May 29, 2010 10:15 am

Sounds good ,

I have wrestled with it long enough and have decided to build an Orc Army
as my second one...

Dont try to talk me out of it- LOL

Looked at everything else in the Marine realm and aside from Grey Knights nothing really speaks to me. I like the mass attack mode and will be starting a battle force of Orcs this weekend.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
NewportGames
Neophyte
NewportGames

PostSubject: Re: I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY   I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY EmptySat May 29, 2010 12:37 pm

Not trying to talk you out of it. I think Ork's are cool. They remind me of Rednecks on Nascar night at the local bar. They are always good for a laugh.
Back to top Go down
Stinkyninja
Neophyte
Stinkyninja

PostSubject: Re: I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY   I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY EmptySat May 29, 2010 2:17 pm

I was just joking and its the nascar redneck angle I'm looking for...

I like the Grey knights but don't want to wait on possible codex and all that drama, Of will it be strong or nerfed or not arriving at all (stuff)

So will be doing Ork for the laughable aspect and trying to further my painting skills...

Thanx for input
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY   I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY Empty

Back to top Go down

I HEARD THAT YOU CAN PACK ALMOST 150 ORCS ON THE TABLE...WHY
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Warhammer 40k :: 40k General Discussion-
Jump to: