CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BoomFex
Neophyte

'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals Empty
PostSubject: 'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals   'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals EmptyFri May 21, 2010 7:05 pm

For all those thinking of participating, Krystal Keep is not holding the Semis this year. I don't know why, but it sure means a lot more driving for those that wish to go.

The closest location is Toledo. Charleston is the next.

I may still try to go as long as there are enough other people willing to carpool. And decisions must be made kinda quick as the tourney is June 12.

Let me know what you all think.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Affliction
Forum Moderator
Affliction

PostSubject: Re: 'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals   'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals EmptyFri May 21, 2010 7:26 pm

You guys get emails back yet from GW?
Back to top Go down
http://theblackparade2010.blogspot.com/
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: 'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals   'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals EmptySat May 22, 2010 12:55 am

I have not received an email from GW
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/makarithraka
BoomFex
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: 'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals   'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals EmptySat May 22, 2010 11:48 am

I have not received any email. However, I never received one last year and the GW website says nothing about needing one.

I would personally prefer heading to Charleston. The drive is about 20 minutes more but much more enjoyable and I have heard nothing but negative things about the shop in Toledo.

There are only 12 more spots available so, again, some quick decisions are needed.

The website where you need to register is here.
http://www.lostlegiongames.com/
Back to top Go down
Affliction
Forum Moderator
Affliction

PostSubject: Re: 'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals   'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals EmptySat May 22, 2010 10:48 pm

According to the GW Site, the hosting stores will get a list of all the Semi-Finalist and you have to call them and confirm a spot.

You will not receive a email from Games Workshop, PM me if you need more details.
Back to top Go down
krak_kirby
Neophyte
krak_kirby

PostSubject: Re: 'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals   'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals EmptySun May 23, 2010 6:36 pm

At this point I'm confident that Dan Smilek, Keebler (Sean Powell) and myself are be signed up in Charleston WV. I would like to get Dickie, Eric Miller, Eric Tomlinson, and anybody else from the Northern Kentucky/Southern Ohio to sign on as well. It would be a fun group trip, and we could watch each other's backs for out of town tourney weirdness.

I would do it quick though, the spots are half gone. Send me an email if you want in and we can coordinate! kirbykevin@sbcglobal.net

Kevin Kirby
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: 'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals   'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 10:21 am

Just signed up for it I'll be there!!!
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: 'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals   'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 12:21 pm

The drive just got longer... But they make up for it!!!

From Lost Legion:
We have had a series of problems with the building in our Charleston store and are in the process of finding a new home for that store. I did an analysis of the minimum distance travelled by all the registered players to see what impact moving the location would do. I found that the total number of hours driven by all players combined is almost completely unaffected by changing the venue to our Beckley location. Actually the total number of hours driven by players decreases slightly and the 4 players driving the farthest (from the DC area) to get to the event go from driving 6.5 hours to driving 5.5 hours. Players from Kentucky and Ohio will regretably end up going from driving 3.5 to 4.5 hours, which is still less than the player coming from the East with their reduced travel time.
I am very sorry about all the trouble and the inconvenience that this causes. The Beckley store, The Castle, was my first store and the flagship location with the biggest playing and sales area, the best parking, and the best building. I think the event will be just as good and just as much fun as it could have been by having it in Beckley instead.
I also haven't received confirmation nor cancelation replies to the emails sent out to verify players for a few participants that signed up. I will be calling those players tomorrow to get some sort of verification. Games Workshop still hasn't provided me with verification information for the winners from previous rounds but I should have that tomorrow as well to cross all players.

So the Ard Boyz Semi Finals at LLGC is as follows:

Lost Legion Games & Comics, The Castle
406 2nd St.
Beckley, WV 25801
Link: <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=406+2nd+St,+Beckley,+WV+25801&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=31.28862,86.220703&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=406+2nd+St,+Beckley,+Raleigh,+West+Virginia+25801&t=h&z=16>

9:00 AM registration opens
10:00 AM game 1 begins
12:30 PM Lunch
1:30 PM game 2
4:00 PM break
4:30 PM game 3
7:00 PM scoring

Everyone must bring at least 4 typed/printed copies of your army list (1 for each oponent and 1 for the judges. Armybuilder preferred.) Your rules and codex. Any FAQs or printouts you need for your army. And of course the army itself.
The store has snacks and drinks. I will be providing pizza and drinks to Ard Boyz players as a token of apology for the last minute change to event location and that inconvenience. (If any player cannot have pizza let me know so I can make arrangements for some other option.)
Also remember before you drive, if you are coming from further than 70 miles to get to your closest LLGC, fill your gas tank before you come and bring your gas receipt. We will give you 20% off your pruchases until it pays for your fuel. We don't want the cost of gas to ever be the reason you game here with us.

Sorry again for the confusion and the inconvenience,
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: 'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals   'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals EmptyTue Jun 08, 2010 12:25 pm

Kudos to them, thats a very thoughtful gesture.. good luck our boyz making the trip
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
krak_kirby
Neophyte
krak_kirby

PostSubject: Re: 'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals   'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 12:04 pm

Hey Sean where were you? Did something come up or did you go to another venue?
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: 'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals   'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 7:51 pm

Well somehow a couple of us thought the round was next week, but even if we knew it was this weekend we couldn't have made it.

Ronnie- Babies came early and is now a father,
Dickie asked for next weekend off
Too much going on with my mom in the hospital and too far away
but the biggest reason people didnt go was the too far away...

so sorry for not getting there.
How did you guys do?
Back to top Go down
krak_kirby
Neophyte
krak_kirby

PostSubject: Re: 'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals   'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 10:29 pm

Keebler Powell and I were in West Virginia, Eric Tomlinson, Mike West and Scott Goldberg all went to Indiana. Eric took third, Mike fifth, Scott and Keebler in the teens I believe, and I won in WV.

Out of 22 players there were about 50% guard, 4 nids, 2 or three orks, 1 chaos marines, and 4 or 5 marine armies. I played orks, orks and guard. I was third going into the last game, but the top two bled each other dry with a minor win and loss.

My round three opponent didn't realize Vendettas can make a scout move (and he was playing vendettas himself) and going second, deployed almost his entire army. He had three squadrons of two lemans each and one squadron of three hellhounds. I scouted three skimmers into position loaded with melts vets and destroyed maybe half of his army in turn one.
Back to top Go down
Affliction
Forum Moderator
Affliction

PostSubject: Re: 'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals   'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 3:28 am

Congratz Kevin on the "W" and to Eric and Mike that placed in the top 5.

You going to the finals Kevin or wining the army good enough for you?
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: 'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals   'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 5:59 am

Congrats man...
So the Ork lists you played how many battlewagons were there?
Back to top Go down
krak_kirby
Neophyte
krak_kirby

PostSubject: Re: 'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals   'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 11:45 am

I gave my finals golden ticket to the the fourth finisher, the army was plenty for me. Very Happy

The first ork army had 2 wagons, very mixed units actually. His name was Brad, from Lexington KY, and he told me they had no guard players in their immediate gaming community. We played the KP mission first and I won turn choice. I made him go first in a dawn of war setup with no night fight turn one.

The mission was changed up to add a dice roll for player one before turn one. 1-3 you got your right short edge as well to deploy from, 4-6 was left. Player two got opposite edge. He got his right edge and tried to cover all avenues, but I feel he made some poor choices where he brought units in. He brought a 30 ork squad, 6 killa kans, 8 lootas, and a battlewagon with warboss and nobs on to the short edge. The battlewagon was the only thing that stood a chance of reaching me.

I rolled on his left board edge (my right), and nuked a different loota squad, a batlewagon full of boys, got the boys themselves down to 6 models and pinned. I caused 25% casualties on a warboss/nob biker squad that turboed up the middle then reduced their leadership to 2 with a psyker battle squad. They broke temporarily, long enough to keep them out of my lines till I could reduce them below half and repeat with the psykers.

After that he didn't really stand a chance. He killed 4 units, I nearly tabled him.

Round two was against a West Virginia local named Joe Cotrell who qualified with Blood Angels and picked Orks for regionals. After I saw the regionals missions I shelved my orks and went for guard, but to each his own. This game was his third game with orks ever.

This game was spearhead, with an objective dead center, and one in each neutral quarter. The neutral quarters were fogbound, requiring a night fight roll for any shooting across or through it. The 24" diameter no deploy circle in the center of the board was clear, so clever positioning could give you clean shots. Starting turn two, roll a die for each quarter and the fog lifts on a 4+.

Joe was running three wagons with meganobs, meganobs, and lootas. Ghazkull with one nob squad, KFF mek with the other. The rest of his army was five 30 ork squads, which had me cursing silently. At least it wasn't kill points...

I got first turn and set up artillery in the corner, chimeras in front of them, and vendettas ready to outflank. He put all three wagons as close to table center as possible, spread 90 boys around the rest of his quarter, and reserved two troops for lack of space. I had a callidus with "a word in your ear", and I really wanted to reposition his Mek with KFF, but there was no room in his deployment zone. Instead I took a boys squad and made a nice wad of them for my pie plates.

Turn one I made small moves with my skimmers and chimeras. I spotlit his loota wagon and after much shooting through force fields exploded it and killed three lootas. Basilisks killed five more and they failed a pin check. I put two colossus shells on the wadded boys squad and got them down to 12 models, not enough for morale purposes but much more manageable.

Joe got his turn one and made moves and runs with his foot squads, and 6" moves with his battlewagons. I didn't realize it right away but he was afraid of the heavy flamers on my chimeras and artillery, which was a bad mistake with meganob squads. He should have powered right at me with defrollas, and fired off Ghazkulls Waaaugh on turn two. Instead he played a defensive game with his force field. Ultimately I lost a command squad and chimera, and he lost three wagons, lootas, and two boys squads.

Long story short (too late!) turn six I moved or tank shocked chimeras on to each objective, and he ran up with boys and nobs and failed to kill the tanks. Three contested objectives would have been a draw, but killpoints difference meant a minor win for me. I wasn't entirely happy, but I felt I still had a chance.

In the end it worked in my favor, as I was paired down to table two. Table one were both very good players who bled each other dry, getting a minor win/minor loss. My third mission is briefly described earlier in this thread, but I got lucky with an opponent who didn't understand vendettas can scout with an embarked unit, so he made the mistake of deploying in alpha strike range.

All in all I'm very pleased of course, but beyond that Keebler and I met some great folks and enjoyed a really upbeat gaming community. I would go back for a tournament anytime, the folks were that nice. It's also right next to the best white water rafting east of the Mississippi, so it might be fun to make a long weekend of it. Anybody game?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals   'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals Empty

Back to top Go down

'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Warhammer 40k :: 40k General Discussion-
Jump to: