CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

About Focus

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Affliction
Forum Moderator
Affliction

About Focus Empty
PostSubject: About Focus   About Focus EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 1:23 am

OK, so I am going to try out Venethrax (Focus =7). My questions are this...

The turn # doesn't matter, but lets say I start my control phase with 4 Focus on Venny and say 9 Soul Tokens from "Soul Harvester" from the previous turn.

Question 1 -

How much Focus do I have? Replenish to 7 + 9 for Soul Tokens totaling 16?
or, 4 + 9 for Soul Tokens totaling 13, because Soul Tokens happen before replenish?

Question 2 -
If say next turn I start out with say 16 like the first example, cast a couple spells and end my activation with 10 and then during my turn I bounce around "Soul Harvester" again and gain another 7 Soul Tokens from it.

So next Control phase, I should have 17 Focus to start my next turn since replenish wont happen cause I am more than 7 and I will just gain the Soul Tokens?

Question 3 -
Does Focus ever "reset" or can you keep gaining? Is there a cap?

Any help is appreciated, also page references if any would help me better understand.

This issue may also come up by using "Dragon Slayer" also.

"Soul Harvester" Cost -2, Rng -6, Upkeep -Yes
When target friendly Faction model/unit destroys a living enemy model with a melee attack, this model gains the destroyed model's soul token regardless of the proximity of other models.

"Dragon Slayer" Cost -3, Rng -Self, Upkeep -Yes
This model gains +2 STR and ARM. Models cannot reave fury from warbeasts destroyed by this model. When this model destroys an enemy model with fury points on it with an attack, this model gains a number of focus points equal to the fury points on the destroyed model.
Back to top Go down
http://theblackparade2010.blogspot.com/
CJ
Captain
Captain

About Focus Empty
PostSubject: Re: About Focus   About Focus EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 8:48 am

curious about this too since I'm playing retribution. Are my casters like batteries?
Back to top Go down
beckmd
Neophyte
beckmd

About Focus Empty
PostSubject: Re: About Focus   About Focus EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 1:29 pm

Chad (Black Parade) wrote:

Question 3 -
Does Focus ever "reset" or can you keep gaining? Is there a cap?

The answer to this question will help with your other questions. The first thing you do during the maintenance phase (which is before the control phase when you replenish your focus) is to remove all focus points from your models. So in your examples, you will get your FOCUS stat + number of soul tokens in focus points each turn. See page 42.

Chad (Black Parade) wrote:

This issue may also come up by using "Dragon Slayer" also.

In regards to Dragon Slayer, you have to use the focus you gain that turn during that turn or you will lose it at the beginning of your next turn (it will overboost your power field if you choose not to use it though).

Puppy Love wrote:

curious about this too since I'm playing retribution. Are my casters like batteries?

No, aside the Hydra's Focus Battery ability, you operate under the same rules. If you gain a ton of focus from Kaelyssa's Energy Siphon, you have to use it that turn or you will lose it at the beginning of the next turn (as above, it will overboost your power field if you choose not to use it).
Back to top Go down
Affliction
Forum Moderator
Affliction

About Focus Empty
PostSubject: Re: About Focus   About Focus EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 2:40 pm

Thanks for the response. Very helpful...

I think I know most of the rules, but still need to brush up on the details.
Back to top Go down
http://theblackparade2010.blogspot.com/
CJ
Captain
Captain

About Focus Empty
PostSubject: Re: About Focus   About Focus EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 5:20 pm

ok so I use Rahn as my caster....I know I have 8 Focus.....so say I delliver oout a total of 6 focus for my turn to boost attacks or whatever. The next round, my focus is replenished to 8 again. This correct?
Back to top Go down
beckmd
Neophyte
beckmd

About Focus Empty
PostSubject: Re: About Focus   About Focus EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 5:43 pm

Yup, you lose the 2 unspent focus during the maintenance phase and then replenish the 8 focus during the control phase.
Back to top Go down
Carl_Dillon
Forum Moderator
Carl_Dillon

About Focus Empty
PostSubject: Re: About Focus   About Focus EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 5:55 pm

Puppy Love wrote:
ok so I use Rahn as my caster....I know I have 8 Focus.....so say I delliver oout a total of 6 focus for my turn to boost attacks or whatever. The next round, my focus is replenished to 8 again. This correct?

Yes. In Warmachine you can count on always having your focus again at the beginning of your turn. In hordes you start with your full fury stat. on the following turns your casters fury is dependent on how much you have pushed you beasts and the amount of fury leeched. So in hordes as your beast die off your warlock will have less fury to leech but you can push the beasts more to balance things out.
Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

About Focus Empty
PostSubject: Re: About Focus   About Focus EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 5:57 pm

yeah I'm starting to see the si,ularity in the games.....Fury is like focus.

CaN'T wait to get a game in.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

About Focus Empty
PostSubject: Re: About Focus   About Focus Empty

Back to top Go down

About Focus
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Warmachine/Hordes :: Rules Questions-
Jump to: