CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

8th edition Rules initial Thoughts

Go down 
+6
mikerollsones
wittdooley
kainthedragoonx
Carl_Dillon
quickfuze
Makari
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

8th edition Rules initial Thoughts Empty
PostSubject: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyTue Jun 15, 2010 10:48 pm

WEll I looked over the new 8th edition rulebook. I do have to say YAY!!!! The changes will have to get some getting used to as with any new system but in general I like the changes. I tried to absord as much as I could so I can bring some tidbits to you guys that didnt get out yet.

Part I The Changes:
-Big one here before declaring any action you may measure distance (even for shooting and Charging, there is a reason its ok now see below) Smile
-All templates hit regardless of full or partial covering Very Happy
-Charge is 2D6+M (movement) scratch
-Failed Charge is a number of inches = to the highest Die Rolled scratch
-If you charge a unit and they Flee you may elect to charge a different unit! Can only be done once I think. cheers
-Fleeing units that move thru enemy Units or impassable terrain or an 1" must take a dangerous terrain check. Very Happy
-Magic 2D6 power dice cheers Max of 12 dice no matter what
-Each wizard rolls a D6 ea 6 adds 1 dice to the pool, Still Max 12 Smile
-Dispel Dice amount equals Highest Roll of the power dice roll Max 12 Very Happy
-same as power ea wizard rolls a D6 on a 6 add 1 power dice Very Happy
-Ea wizard can use the max of 6 power Dice
-Fail on dice roll of 3 or less or equal can't remember for casting Smile
-2 or more 6's irresistably cast, spell goes off but!!!! Miscast!!!! Suspect
-Miscast will kick someones butt!
-Magic is now divided up into 3or 4 Categories: Magic missle, Vortex, hex and something else?
-Shooting allowed from 2 ranks, 3 ranks if you volley but canyt have moved cheers
-Close Combat 2nd rank attacks with 1 Attack, Hordes can attack from 3rd rank (Horde = 10 or wider rank)
-TO WOUND CHART CANGED S 1 can wound S10 on roll of 6+!!! bounce
-Must take armor save if able even if it is worse than ward save due to strength penalty, you fail youtakethe wound!!! Only 1 Save, dont know about regen haven't got that far. You only take Ward save if the Armor save is removed because of S or other means.

Next Time I'll look at the rest of the book and Report!!!
So what ya think so far!
I want to play tomorrow now!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/makarithraka
quickfuze
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 1:36 am

What about army comp percentage thing....did you see any of that?
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 6:15 am

Yes but I can only remember so much so that will be in the next posting.
But everyone can take allies!!! is one thing I left off!
Back to top Go down
Carl_Dillon
Forum Moderator
Carl_Dillon

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 8:36 am

[size=18the book is pure awesome lol Here we go Twisted Evil[/size]

Last edited by Carl_Dillon on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 8:45 am

Yeah playing this on Saturday is going to be glorious! Laughing

All the rules will be known to me by then! bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.aowcinci.com

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 9:45 am

kainthedragoonx wrote:

Are you going long haul on Saturday? I've got an event to about 9pm but might show up afterwards if y'all are open late again.
Back to top Go down
wittdooley
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
wittdooley

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 10:38 am

Same here. It's my birthday, so I have to spend some of the time with my wife/fam. But I'd love to throw down.
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 10:51 am

John Gemrich wrote:
kainthedragoonx wrote:

Are you going long haul on Saturday? I've got an event to about 9pm but might show up afterwards if y'all are open late again.

You both insult me. I will still be there well past 11. cyclops
Back to top Go down
mikerollsones
Neophyte
mikerollsones

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 12:01 am

So what is the best way to equip empire state troops now that the rules have changed? Halberds, spears, or sword and shield?
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 6:50 am

Depends on how you like to play really,

Sword and shield now give you a 6+ Ward save,
Spears allow you an additional row of attacks so 3 ranks deep, 4 if your horde!
Halberds +1 Str.

When I take empire I take 4 blocks 2 Spearmen Defensive, and 2 Halbediers offensive. They all get supported with detachments the same 1 with Sword and shield and 1 with hand guns...

I haven't played that yet with new rules to see if that changes but I can't imagine it changing too much for me just makes them more effective now that spuds can kill a dragon!
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 8:40 am

mikerollsones wrote:
So what is the best way to equip empire state troops now that the rules have changed? Halberds, spears, or sword and shield?

Do you play an aggressive Empire army? or a defensive one?

Spears = win. With the way stepping up works, you'll probably lose 3-4 guys when you get charged, which leaves with 12-13 attacks back (face it....you're human, which means most armies go before you)

Not sure if the +1 str from Halberds, or the 6+ ward is worth losing 5 (or more) attacks. the ward is crap, ignore it.

Spears FTW. Unless you're running a Middenhiem themed force. santa
Back to top Go down
mikerollsones
Neophyte
mikerollsones

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 2:32 pm

I plan on playing a defensive shooty army for the most part, outriders and handgunners with my infantry men and a unit or 2 of knights
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 2:54 pm

mikerollsones wrote:
I plan on playing a defensive shooty army for the most part, outriders and handgunners with my infantry men and a unit or 2 of knights

Spears in blocks of 25+ 5x5 min. Win. clown
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 4:24 pm

kainthedragoonx wrote:
mikerollsones wrote:

Spears in blocks of 25+ 5x5 min. Win. 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts Icon_clown

or 10x4 = Hordes so all 40 get to attack with spears!!!
Back to top Go down
mikerollsones
Neophyte
mikerollsones

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 5:01 pm

So spears are the way to go eh? I'm thinking spears and halberds maybe two 20 man blocks of each with detachments of hand gunners, a volley gun, great cannon, and two squads of 20 hand gunners two squads of 5 man outriders and a general on a horse with two squads of 5 knights.
Back to top Go down
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 11:45 pm

I looked at the rules today at Yottaquest, spearmen have a good advantage, consider taking 25, if you have more ranks than your opponent at the end of the combat, you are stubborn. That goes for all infantry. Something else I noticed, volley is half the models after the first 2 ranks and only units/models with the volley special rule can use it. Longbows is an example I can remember from earlier today.

Fear is simplified, you no longer run from fear causers, but if you fail a fear test in close combat, you are reduced to weapon skill 1. I like what they did with the magic lores, each lore has something special about it, like getting power dice back from casting death spells stands out. With Beast, you get bonus' for casting them on beasts, but they can be cast on any unit/model within range/line of sight. There is both goodness and evil coming out of the new book, balances it out I think. I feel sorry for magic heavy armies though. Only miscasts are irresistible force, but when you miscast....ouch.
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 8:48 am

makari wrote:
kainthedragoonx wrote:
mikerollsones wrote:

Spears in blocks of 25+ 5x5 min. Win. 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts Icon_clown

or 10x4 = Hordes so all 40 get to attack with spears!!!

no, he doesn't want the Hordes as it will lock down his fire lanes cheers
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 9:44 am

Thats why you make use of hills and stuff and if you are playing on a board without hills DOH!!!

Shouldnt be anissue really. My best advice is play a couple of games and test different things out. especially play against other empire players and see how they do things and learn from that.
Back to top Go down
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 11:41 am

with how war machines are working now, empire wants their cannons. No more measuring. It saddens me really, but it does make things easier for those of us without much of a sense for distances. I did not read through all the rules, just glanced. With the exception of 2nd and 3rd ranks for horde, is the rule still in place that you have to be in contact to fight? If so, horde units may not have as much of an advantage as more ranks can give you. I also don't remember if cannons can fire indirectly. I know stone throwers can now. some things to consider when talking about horde units. 2 point gobos...yeah, they are a horde waiting to happen Smile. Skaven..., I can easily see hordes of slaves running around. I am waiting to see if the tourney standard goes up to 2500 or 3k points under the new system. The new rules were definately designed to help sell more models. I don't mind, I like big battles Smile.
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 12:29 pm

events are going to be 2500 min. Too many armies get screwed with only allowing 500 points worth of hero/lords.

Ahem...I'm looking at you Chaos Warriors.... pale
Back to top Go down
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 2:14 pm

If I understood what I read/glanced over well enough, you can have 25% lords and 25% heroes, so half your army can be a combination lords and heroes. Just need to bring 25% or more core and have at least 3 units that aren't lords/heroes.
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 2:30 pm

Hope to get my hands on the book tonight..

..and from the sounds of it, a couple more boxes of Daemonettes as well
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 3:00 pm

Crobar wrote:
If I understood what I read/glanced over well enough, you can have 25% lords and 25% heroes, so half your army can be a combination lords and heroes. Just need to bring 25% or more core and have at least 3 units that aren't lords/heroes.

cyclops Lords are a separate section? in the book...holy crap! I totally missed that!
Back to top Go down
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 9:12 pm

Speaking of Chaos Warriors, I was going to build an Archaon army to get into the game because I figured I wouldn't need that many models if one of my characters was 685 points.

Then I looked at the new rules. 4 X 685 is 2740.

Back to the drawing board with that plan.
Back to top Go down
http://whowritesthisstuff.net/
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 11:24 pm

yeah, my 630 point High Elf lord on a dragon has been delegated to 3k battles or better. At least under the new rules, Teclis and Tyrion are looking better Smile.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts Empty

Back to top Go down

8th edition Rules initial Thoughts
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next