CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

8th edition Rules initial Thoughts

Go down 
+6
mikerollsones
wittdooley
kainthedragoonx
Carl_Dillon
quickfuze
Makari
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 2:14 pm

If I understood what I read/glanced over well enough, you can have 25% lords and 25% heroes, so half your army can be a combination lords and heroes. Just need to bring 25% or more core and have at least 3 units that aren't lords/heroes.
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 2:30 pm

Hope to get my hands on the book tonight..

..and from the sounds of it, a couple more boxes of Daemonettes as well
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 3:00 pm

Crobar wrote:
If I understood what I read/glanced over well enough, you can have 25% lords and 25% heroes, so half your army can be a combination lords and heroes. Just need to bring 25% or more core and have at least 3 units that aren't lords/heroes.

cyclops Lords are a separate section? in the book...holy crap! I totally missed that!
Back to top Go down
http://www.aowcinci.com
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 9:12 pm

Speaking of Chaos Warriors, I was going to build an Archaon army to get into the game because I figured I wouldn't need that many models if one of my characters was 685 points.

Then I looked at the new rules. 4 X 685 is 2740.

Back to the drawing board with that plan.
Back to top Go down
http://whowritesthisstuff.net/
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 11:24 pm

yeah, my 630 point High Elf lord on a dragon has been delegated to 3k battles or better. At least under the new rules, Teclis and Tyrion are looking better Smile.
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 11:37 pm

Long live Grimgor Ironhide!!! Long Live Karl Franz!!!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/makarithraka
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 4:30 pm

Even if I had considered bringing him before, King Louen of the Brets just got put into the archives never to be seen again at 728 points. Yes, he is legal in a 3k battle but oh so expensive for one lord without some serious ummph, even under the new rules.
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 9:16 am

you can put all your Brets in storage! They are poo now! cat
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 9:25 am

Why are brets crap they can have 3 wide ranks? that useful!

I dont have the new armies book so I dont know alot about Brets, how are tehy poo now? curious.
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 1:00 pm

get hit first...they are int 3. But I stand corrected...the way they play in 7th is fail. So you charge in with your lances, and it's possible to get cut down by a character and what not before you even get to roll a dice.

Peg Knights =Flying cav = fast cav. Which means they get a 12" movement before the game begins. And you take your vow, and get second. So you can charge turn one with Peg Knights! affraid
Back to top Go down
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 1:10 pm

lets not forget that brets only get 3 horses and 3 men fighting in rounds after the first. Pegi knights BTW, are also Monsterous cav, so they can rank up now and get a stomp attack. They got hurt like all fliers sense they can't always move and charge 20 now since fliers can be marched blocked now and forced to a leadership test to march.
Back to top Go down
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 1:36 pm

I need to correct myself, Brets actually get 6 men and 3 horses that can attack back on the 2nd round and beyond of combat. forgot about the new rule there vs an min of 10 attacks fending off and most likely fending off before they can swing. The lance formation is great for the charge, but really blows after that. Before it is said, yes, 3 wide ranks means you can get more ranks for fewer men, but it also means that you don't have as many men fighting after the first round of combat and few loses you can take before you lose another rank. Considering that the min unit of KotR you can bring and you have to bring one is 168 points, (yes you can bring 5 with no stb or musician but when 6 gives you a rank, why?) and losing one of those means you have no ranks, they get pretty expensive for core.
Back to top Go down
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 1:38 pm

Oh, I almost forgot, under the new rules, most foot troops will be stubborn because they usually end up with more ranks.
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 1:44 pm

kainthedragoonx wrote:
So you can charge turn one with Peg Knights! affraid
I thought they nixed all turn 1 charging?

Crobar wrote:
Oh, I almost forgot, under the new rules, most foot
troops will be stubborn because they usually end up with more
ranks.
Indeed, heavy cav breaking stubborn infantry will be a tough nut
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 1:47 pm

Marc wrote:
kainthedragoonx wrote:
So you can charge turn one with Peg Knights! affraid
I thought they nixed all turn 1 charging?

I thought it was only if you went first
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 1:48 pm

Thats it.. and Brets always go second 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 5:14 pm

Brets have officially been nerfed despite the fact that the pegi knights and Fay Enchantress got better, ( can you say cast all life spells at +6 and a 2+ ward save vs spell damage for her and her unit?). Even thier bowmen took a hit, their stakes just turned a charge into a regular round of combat for the most part, now, every round is a regular round of combat. At least they do negate the +1 CR for charging and other bonus' that occur on charges still. The Questing Knights also got thier +2 str for great weapons back as well though I have never brought them.
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 11:32 am

Ok that was real fun, spent a fair amount of time looking up rules and stuff.
Still had tons of fun!
Crobar Dark Elves vs. Makari Goblins
Couple of things that stood out for me:
1: Holy Shnicke! Don't miscast!!! Essentially kept me in the game. The dark Elf wizard miscast while in a unit of 20 guys and dropped the big pie plate on her killing almost all of the unit including herself with a S10 WOW!
2: The Charge thing is really nice and the ability to premeaseure everything.
3. Rock Lobbers kinda nerfed and bumped at the same time, I know doesn't make sense, But now its S3 reg armor save unless under hole, But auto hits no partials anthing under template after scatter.
4. I really like the ability to strike back after couple of rows get wiped out. Like in 4th ed, doesn't matter how many are killed.

Crobar won by about 150 -200 points in a 2250 so as close as you can get I think.
He had an asassin, Hero, and unit of reapeter crossbowman with asassin.
I had Grom the Paunch, a Rock Lobber, and 2 fanatics. Thank God I took Grom to negate the Fear of Elves!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 11:48 am

Quote :
1: Holy Shnicke! Don't miscast!!! Essentially kept me in the game. The dark Elf wizard miscast while in a unit of 20 guys and dropped the big pie plate on her killing almost all of the unit including herself with a S10 WOW!

Awesome.

Does that feel like too much luck or did he pick up a lot of dice and it back fired... ie. Risk/reward.
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 12:13 pm

Rolled 2 6's on 3D6 and you miscast anytime you roll 2 or more 6's but the spell is automatically cast too.
That was the worst he could have rolled on the miscast chart too. the other miscast was not as bad...
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 1:42 pm

All "uncontrolled magic" (no longer called miscasts) is bad. The best in the book is the lose a d3 levels of magic. That's the best cat
Back to top Go down
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 5:44 pm

the 2nd miscast that round killed 13 of 20, caused a panic test which I rolled an 11 for and failed. The unit ran off the board. So there you have it, one miscast equaled 400 and some points gone. It makes magic very scarey since you always fail on a roll of one or two and that wizard cannot cast anymore spells. So you have to try to roll at least 3 but with no double sixes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 8:06 pm

Crobar wrote:
the 2nd miscast that round killed 13 of 20, caused a panic test which I rolled an 11 for and failed. The unit ran off the board. So there you have it, one miscast equaled 400 and some points gone. It makes magic very scarey since you always fail on a roll of one or two and that wizard cannot cast anymore spells. So you have to try to roll at least 3 but with no double sixes.

yea... 1 in 13 rolls with 3 dice will have a double six. 7.7% of the time. Now, consider if you have 3 casters in the game over 6 rounds. If each casts 2 spells a round that is a total of 36 casts. I hope the spells are worth it.
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 8:53 am

John Gemrich wrote:
... I hope the spells are worth it.

The lores out of the core book are very worth it. I lost all my characters and a doom wheel to the assassin spell out of Death. Had nothing to deal with it, and lost 600ish points to a level 1 mage. Good times, good times!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 9:00 am

kainthedragoonx wrote:
John Gemrich wrote:
... I hope the spells are worth it.

The lores out of the core book are very worth it. I lost all my characters and a doom wheel to the assassin spell out of Death. Had nothing to deal with it, and lost 600ish points to a level 1 mage. Good times, good times!

Sounds like fun. Can't wait to get the Waaaghh Getrich to the table.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 8th edition Rules initial Thoughts   8th edition Rules initial Thoughts - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

8th edition Rules initial Thoughts
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next