CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Malifaux Hanging Tree

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Danny
Initiate
Initiate
Danny

Malifaux Hanging Tree Empty
PostSubject: Malifaux Hanging Tree   Malifaux Hanging Tree EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 10:31 pm

Hey guys here is one of my first pieces for malifaux. It will be a hanging tree. Pretty excited about how it's coming especially for the minimal amount of time i've spent on it. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Malifaux Hanging Tree HangingTree2
Malifaux Hanging Tree HangingTree
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: Malifaux Hanging Tree   Malifaux Hanging Tree EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 12:08 am

From what I saw in the pic the other day this is pretty dang cool!!!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/makarithraka
The Madman
Sergeant
Sergeant
The Madman

PostSubject: Re: Malifaux Hanging Tree   Malifaux Hanging Tree EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 1:26 am

Cool
big
but cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.cincyrec.org

PostSubject: Re: Malifaux Hanging Tree   Malifaux Hanging Tree EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 5:30 am

your branches (and roots) look fragile and small in comparison to the tree. The face/bark and tree look awesome.

Is it supposed to be a monster that moves or a terrain element?
Back to top Go down
Ghazkhull
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: Malifaux Hanging Tree   Malifaux Hanging Tree EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 2:16 am

Honestly, the face is really cool-looking, but this piece doesn't look like a tree at all. The 'arms' look enough like branches, but the trunk looks more like a weathered down rock formation/spire. Also, have a look at trees in the woods. Their root systems are at least as outstretched as the tree's canopy, or farthest-reaching branches. With those spindly roots you've got going there, that tree is on it's way to its demise laying on its side...

Aside from the physical aesthetic of the piece, I thought that the Hanging Tree terrain feature was just a large tree with dead people in it. Is it supposed to be a living entity? I have only had a cursory look at the rulebook and subsequent "special terrain section" descriptions, so I may have missed it. If I'm mistaken here, please tell me as I'm in the process of making two of these for Art of War's Malifaux terrain (about 40% completion, Frank, if you're reading this. Very Happy ).

Danny
Back to top Go down
Danny
Initiate
Initiate
Danny

PostSubject: Re: Malifaux Hanging Tree   Malifaux Hanging Tree EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 3:17 pm

Thanks for the great critique. I was trying for the goofy proportions but I do agree may have gone overboard. And no the hanging is not a living entity. It's just a tree. I just took a different twist on it to keep me entertained while sculpting. Thanks for the response I really like your work so it's nice to get a good critique.
Back to top Go down
Ghazkhull
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: Malifaux Hanging Tree   Malifaux Hanging Tree EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 4:42 pm

Well, to be perfectly honest, the more I look at this and the more I think about how it fits into the game (what little I actually know about it) the less I stand behind my prior critiques.

I still like the face. Very well done and quite sinister. With more limbs and roots, it will lose its humanoid look and then I suspect the trunk will look more like 'tree' and less like 'rock'. As I understand it, Malifaux is an alternate dimension where warped magic and evil are the prevailing properties. Given this information, why does a tree, let alone, a terrain piece with special rules have to look JUST like a tree in our world? Why couldn't the evil magics warp a tree into a semi-sentient being that wants you dead for whatever reason(s)?

In summary (my opinion):
1) Keep the face (maybe even add another, smaller face or two elsewhere around the trunk?)
2) Add lots of long, splayed-out branches
3) Seriously beef up and elongate the root system
3) Add many more roots. At the very least, double the current amount.

I think this could be a pretty cool terrain feature with some additions/improvements.

Ghazkhull
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Malifaux Hanging Tree   Malifaux Hanging Tree Empty

Back to top Go down

Malifaux Hanging Tree
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Painting, Conversions and Tutorials :: WIP Miniature Painting and Conversions-
Jump to: