CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame

Go down 
+6
Marc
Cherry Darling
kainthedragoonx
Qoltar
wittdooley
Mike Leon
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame Empty
PostSubject: Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame   Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 5:38 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Wars

"Little Wars is a set of rules for playing with toy soldiers, written by H. G. Wells in 1913. Its full title is Little Wars: a game for boys from twelve years of age to one hundred and fifty and for that more intelligent sort of girl who likes boys' games and books."

If we went back in time to watch cavemen playing games with pebbles, they would probably all stop and stare when a woman came into the game cave.
Back to top Go down
http://whowritesthisstuff.net/

PostSubject: Re: Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame   Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 7:41 pm

I still have a game cave. And she better have some tollhouse cookies if she comes down while im gaming.
Back to top Go down
wittdooley
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
wittdooley

PostSubject: Re: Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame   Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 12:15 am

Your game cave gives me happy pants.
Back to top Go down
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

PostSubject: Re: Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame   Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 12:46 am

More intelligent sorts of girls who like boys' games and books give me happy pants.
Back to top Go down
Qoltar
Initiate
Initiate
Qoltar

PostSubject: Re: Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame   Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 1:44 am

You guys should have been at the store this past Saturday afternoon.

The BATTLETECH Players were there. Two new players showed up - a couple, I didn't hear if they were boyfriend & girlfriend or husband & wife.

She was just as agressive as the guys with her Mechs in the battles.

I think the old cliches or stereotypoes about women and gaming are mostly becoming a thing of the past.

- Ed C.
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame   Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 8:44 am

I demoed rockethammer to a couple of chicks on Saturday, one of which that won the raffle and grabbed a wood elf book off the shelf. cat

And my wife plays most of the minis games I play, and normally kicks my ass! santa
Back to top Go down
http://www.aowcinci.com

PostSubject: Re: Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame   Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 11:12 am

Mike Leon wrote:
More intelligent sorts of girls who like boys' games and books give me happy pants.

I'll go with intelligent but they don't have to like gaming. Tolerate it yes but actually game/paint or whatever... naaa.

I mean my gal likes NCAA hoops so that is a nice balance.
Back to top Go down
wittdooley
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
wittdooley

PostSubject: Re: Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame   Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 11:51 am

John Gemrich wrote:
Mike Leon wrote:

I'll go with intelligent but they don't have to like gaming. Tolerate it yes but actually game/paint or whatever... naaa.

I mean my gal likes NCAA hoops so that is a nice balance.

For sure. Liz doesn't play any miniature games, but she certainly tolerates (enables?) it as long as I keep my work area clean.

She does enjoy some boardgames, and she loves football, MMA, and apparently Nintendo DS (she played for 2 hours last night..).
Back to top Go down
Cherry Darling
Forum Matriarch
Cherry Darling

PostSubject: Re: Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame   Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 2:42 pm

Gaming does not equal intelligence. I've seen examples of this time and time again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame   Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 4:31 pm

Cherry Darling wrote:
Gaming does not equal intelligence. I've seen examples of this time and time again.

ooooh. Sounds like you're calling someone out. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame   Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 11:19 am

Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame Icon_lol

BUSTED "...time and time again"
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

PostSubject: Re: Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame   Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 12:10 pm

John and Cherry and Sean are right about this.

In reality, I tend to give gamer girls the cold shoulder because so many of them seem to be spoiled rotten by the attention they get from men around them.

I would rather meet a girl who doesn't treat me like a pile of dog crap, and if she thinks tiny plastic men are nerdy I can live with that.
Back to top Go down
yrddraiggoch
Neophyte
yrddraiggoch

PostSubject: Re: Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame   Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 6:11 pm

My wife and I enjoy a good game of Munchkin, got her started on the joy of video games that is Zombie Apocalypse on the PS3.
Had a friend back in Britain that used to date a girl that actually enjoyed painting the basecoat layer for his army. And he had a huge Skaven army! Then he dumped her, the fool.
Back to top Go down
Elonna
Neophyte
Elonna

PostSubject: Re: Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame   Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 9:01 am

Not all females who game are doing it for the attention. Some actually just like to play and have fun. I started out with D&D, have played Call of Cthulu and several others though I am a fantasy girl overall. The only minis game I play is WHFB and it will probably be the only minis game I play as I still prefer paper RPGs, just haven't had the opportunity to meet anyone else who plays closer to my age group...so I'm a dork, oh well.

I just had to give my opinion of course, being an intelligent sort of girl and all...we have a hard time keeping our opinions to ourselves. I mean I can forgive HG Wells, it was 1913 after all...but come on guys, tollhouse cookies? Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame   Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 9:58 am

Elonna wrote:
...but come on guys, tollhouse cookies? Wink

Of course.

I hope you know we kid. Please see the follow up comment.

Besides, my wife doesn't do the cooking...that is my department.

Back to top Go down
Elonna
Neophyte
Elonna

PostSubject: Re: Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame   Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 10:53 am

John Gemrich wrote:
Elonna wrote:

Of course.

Of course, if I thought you all were serious I'd have been like mean and nasty and stuff flower

To be honest, I think HG Wells was quite forward thinking to mention girls at all in his subtitle.

And it sounds like your wife is one smart cookie...getting you to do the cooking and all Wink
Back to top Go down
wittdooley
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
wittdooley

PostSubject: Re: Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame   Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 11:04 am

Elonna wrote:
John Gemrich wrote:
Elonna wrote:

Of course.

Of course, if I thought you all were serious I'd have been like mean and nasty and stuff flower

To be honest, I think HG Wells was quite forward thinking to mention girls at all in his subtitle.

And it sounds like your wife is one smart cookie...getting you to do the cooking and all Wink

Well, according to Warehouse 13, HG Wells is a she!
Back to top Go down
Elonna
Neophyte
Elonna

PostSubject: Re: Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame   Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 11:08 am

wittdooley wrote:

Well, according to Warehouse 13, HG Wells is a she!

That would explain the brilliant and creative writing for the time period, of course...hehe
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame   Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 11:10 am

Elonna wrote:

She is brilliant but her lack of skill in the kitchen is legendary.
Back to top Go down
Qoltar
Initiate
Initiate
Qoltar

PostSubject: Re: Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame   Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 11:15 am

Elonna wrote:
.................. The only minis game I play is WHFB and it will probably be the only minis game I play as I still prefer paper RPGs, just haven't had the opportunity to meet anyone else who plays closer to my age group...so I'm a dork, oh well.

Elonna,

Both of my recent two Role playing groups have players around your age the majority of them were mid-to late 30s.. If I combine the two groups, the youngest was 27 and the oldest is in her 60s...with an average age amongst the other players somewhere in the mid 30s (34, 38, 40, 45, ...etc)

If you might be interested in joining a new group - send me a private message.
-OR-

You could stop by Sci Fi City tonight or tomorrow. I am working the closing shift both today and Friday night.

- Ed C.
Back to top Go down
altahara
Sergeant
Sergeant
altahara

PostSubject: Re: Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame   Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 4:15 am

my fiance is all into gaming. She loves killer bunnies and munchkin and is def an enabler to my miniatures. She buys me minis for my bday all the time. and yes she is also intelligent. Why she is with me i will never know lol
Back to top Go down
Kurashiki
Neophyte
Kurashiki

PostSubject: Re: Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame   Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 2:41 pm

I never really treated girl gamers any different in my experience. Not that I've encountered many, but I always just saw them as one of the group. I may give them a hard time, but that's because the girl gamers I know are drawn to elves for some reason. But that's because I just don't like elves and I give male players who like elves the same amount of crap.
Back to top Go down
Elonna
Neophyte
Elonna

PostSubject: Re: Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame   Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 8:41 am

Yeah, more of my female friends were gaming when we were younger, they don't anymore. I guess I just refuse top grow up ;o9
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame   Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame Empty

Back to top Go down

Treating women strangely since the earliest wargame
Page 1 of 1