A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
krak_kirby
Neophyte

PostSubject: 40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10   Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:57 pm

Bookery Mini 40K RTT, October 16th, 2010
Registration at 10:30 am, Rolling dice at 11:00

The Bookery is in Fairborn, Ohio, northeast of Dayton.
They have an excellent selection and a large and comfortable
gaming area. They also offer 15% off everything, and the
discount gets better the more you buy!

$15.00 entry, 24 player limit, 1250 point armies
You may use only the most current codex for your army.

Please call Bookery to arrange payment, or if you have any questions,
at 937-879-3940, and speak to Eric.
Missions will be posted at Bookery and on
forums, including Dakka Dakka, CAG, and 40KBasement, over
the next few days.

This will be a four round tournament with a 1.5 hour time limit per round.
Force org as follows: 1-2 HQ, 1+ Troops, 0-2 Elites, 0-2 Heavy, 0-2 Fast Attack.
With the exception of troops, you may not take the same codex entry twice,
i.e., two elite carnifex or two monoliths. Dedicated transports are not limited to 0-1,
as they are purchased as an upgrade for an existing unit. Dedicated transports
will give up kill points though.This is to stimulate a little creativity!
The games will be played on a 4'x4' table with a minimum of four pieces of
area terrain. Games should be short and bloody, so plan accordingly.

Scoring will be based on battle points, bonus objectives, painting and
sportsmanship. Battle will total a possible 84 points, 21 points per round
including bonus objectives. Painting and sportsmanship will total
28 points, 7 per round. Overall and second place will be total points scored.
Painting and sportsmanship will be determined by their individual points,
ties will be decided by overall points scored.

Players are eligible to win only one of the four places. With the
exception of tournament costs, which should be minimal, all entry
fees will be rewarded as prize support in the form of store credit at the
Bookery. Prizes will include Overall, Second Overall, Painting, and
Sportsmanship.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BoomFex
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: 40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10   Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:29 pm

I highly encourage Cincinnati gamers check out this tournament at Bookery Fantasy. I have played there on numerous occasions and have had a wonderful time each one. They have great tables, great players, and great employees.

Kevin is a excellent event organizer and a slightly above average player himself. Even if he doesn't fully proof read his copy/past tournament posting. Elite carnifexes went the way of the Chaos and Ork Basilisks.

For those looking to test the tournament waters this would be a great opportunity and I hope to see you in Fairborn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
krak_kirby
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: 40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10   Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:48 pm

Durn it! I was trying to proofread and make sure everything was accurate, lol! Will you be able to come up?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
krak_kirby
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: 40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10   Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:51 pm

Tournament mission 1 - Planetfall

In the opening stage of the invasion, the attackers make massive drops into enemy territory, striking at night to secure
landing zones and minimise casualties. The defenders scramble to contain the enemy, scouring the area to hunt them
down. Commanding officers are critical, organizing the attack, and marshalling the defense.

Special rules - Escalation, Reserves, Deep Strike, Infiltrate, Night Fight turns 1-5, Flares. Each player gets two flares. They can use
one flare in any shooting phase. Night fight is suspended for that phase. Escalation - only models on foot may deploy at the start of
the game, no vehicles, bikes, jump packs or monstrous creatures.

Objectives:
Primary (10 points) - Enemy deployment zones. Have more scoring units in the opposing deployment zone than your
opponent has in yours.

Secondary (7 points) - Kill Points. Score at least 2 more kill points than your opponent.

Tertiary (4 points) - Commander KIA. Kill the opposing HQ of the highest point cost while keeping your own alive.

Setup:

12" deep deployment zones. Roll off. Winner chooses who gets first turn. That player may then deploy only infantry
on foot and scouts. All other units start the game in reserve. Player two may then deploy his foot infantry and scouts.
All other units come on as reserves, and may outflank or deep strike if they are allowed in their description. Player two
may attempt to steal the initiative. Units forced to fall back will move towards their closest deployment zone table edge.
Do not start a round if both players will be unable to finish. Remember the Night Fight rules!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
krak_kirby
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: 40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10   Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:55 pm

Mission 2 - Secure Objectives

Following the shock and awe of the initial attack, invading units push to secure vital objectives. Bridges, crossroads, and
local enemy HQ's are targeted, to hold for advancing heavier elements. The defenders fight just as hard to hold or
destroy objectives, to deny their use by the enemy.

Special rules - Infiltrators, Reserves, Deep Strike

Objectives:
Primary (10 points) - Secure the center. Have a scoring unit completely with 6" of the center at the end of the game, with
no enemy scoring units completely within 6" of the center.

Secondary (7 points) - Table Quarters. Claim more quarters than your opponent. Center unit may only claim the center
objective.

Tertiary (4 points) - Drive Them Back. All enemy scoring units destroyed or falling back.

Setup: Spearhead

Back to top Go down
View user profile
krak_kirby
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: 40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10   Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:57 pm

Mission 3 - Strongpoint Assault

The enemy must be driven back, and the main push is on! Now that your forces are assembled and supplied, the time
has come for massed assault. As dawn breaks, the lines explode into action and the advance begins. The defenders
must throw them back!

Special rules - Waypoint Markers, Infiltrate, Deep Strike, Reverse Escalation. Reverse Escalation - All basic infantry units
without a dedicated transport are held in reserve, waiting for orders to deploy to a break in the enemy line. Scouts are
exempt. Everything else deploys normally.

Objectives:
Primary (10 points) - Enemy deployment zones. Have more scoring units in the opposing deployment zone than your
opponent has in yours.

Secondary (7 points) - Waypoint Markers - Overall command has tasked your forces to hold a waypoint on the field.
See setup. Claim your objective marker with only your scoring unit in contact, and deny your opponent his.

Tertiary (4 points) - Surviving Heavies and Troops - Have more scoring heavies and troops at the end of the game.

Setup: Spearhead
Roll off. Winner chooses who gets first turn. Player one places his waypoint marker anywhere in his opponents
deployment zone, then player two does the same. Player one may then deploy everything but foot infantry.
All other units start the game in reserve. Player two may then deploy in the same manner. All other units come on as
reserves. Player two may attempt to steal the initiative. Units forced to fall back will move towards their closest
deployment zone table edge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
krak_kirby
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: 40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10   Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:58 pm

Mission 4 - Last Stand

The enemy has been driven into their last bastion, and all his remaining forces are entrenched and waiting. It remains
for your forces to drive them out and eradicate forever the menace. Both forces are fighting through the shattered
landscape when the order comes, "Kill them all!".

Special rules - Night Fight turns 5 and 6,Reserves, Deep Strike, Infiltrate, Bunkers (pg.79). Each player gets a bunker
model they may deploy as a heavy choice. They may then immediately deploy a unit inside the bunker.

Objectives:
Primary (10 points) - Table Quarters. Claim more quarters than your opponent.

Secondary (7 points) - Kill points. Score 2 more kill points than your opponent.

Tertiary (4 points) - Annihilation. Destroy every last enemy model by the end of the game, including opponents bunker.

Setup: Pitched Battle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10   Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:47 pm

Oh no Kirby you are providing extensive information! Don't you know that people who run tournaments are supposed to provide little and throw the end up fielding numerous questions (often in email)?

I demand you conform to the norm and remove most of the info!

Geez Kirby what are you going to do next, provide details on the terrain layout? tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord of Change
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: 40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10   Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:50 pm

With those missions, I am going to have to reevaluate my list. Darn reliance on troops.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BoomFex
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: 40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10   Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:06 pm

Hey Kevin, right now it looks like I will be able to make it for the tourney with one or two cinci players in tow.

During a practice game today, Brian and I ran into a rules question.
In mission 3, How does reverse escalation interact with infiltrate. Since infiltration is not part of normal deployment, can infantry still do so, or are they forced into reserves as well?

Also, I am Bum that outflanking is an option for all missions in which infiltrating is also an option.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smw356
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: 40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10   Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:22 pm

I really think the planetfall mission needs to allow jump troops to deploy as normal as well.

That single mission really screws jump armies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: 40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10   Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:17 am

smw356 wrtote:

Quote :
I really think the planetfall mission needs to allow jump troops to deploy as normal as well.

That single mission really screws jump armies

Explain please, because I'm not seeing it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
krak_kirby
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: 40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10   Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:59 am

BoomFex wrote:
Hey Kevin, right now it looks like I will be able to make it for the tourney with one or two cinci players in tow.

During a practice game today, Brian and I ran into a rules question.
In mission 3, How does reverse escalation interact with infiltrate. Since infiltration is not part of normal deployment, can infantry still do so, or are they forced into reserves as well?

Also, I am Bum that outflanking is an option for all missions in which infiltrating is also an option.

Any infantry unit with the infiltrate ability may ignore the reverse escalation rule, and deploy as infiltrators. What do you mean by "I am bum"? Is there an issue with outflanking?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
krak_kirby
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: 40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10   Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:12 am

smw356 wrote:

I tried to design the missions so that at least one of the four would be a challenge for any list. I'm not really certain how jump troops would be hosed in mission one, they simply have to deep strike in or walk on like most everything else, and both players are working with the same challenge. Let me know specifically what you are talking about. I am not totally opposed to altering the missions, but I would need to do it at least a week ahead of time. It would also have to be an issue that equals auto-lose for whole codices, not simply an uphill battle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: 40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10   Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:32 am

I've been testing the missions for the past week or so and have found them to be very interesting and challenging. I'm looking forward to the tourney.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smw356
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: 40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10   Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:35 pm

krak_kirby wrote:
smw356 wrote:

I tried to design the missions so that at least one of the four would be a challenge for any list. I'm not really certain how jump troops would be hosed in mission one, they simply have to deep strike in or walk on like most everything else, and both players are working with the same challenge. Let me know specifically what you are talking about. I am not totally opposed to altering the missions, but I would need to do it at least a week ahead of time. It would also have to be an issue that equals auto-lose for whole codices, not simply an uphill battle.

The primary issue is the jump army can deploy nothing (in a situation where it would most likely choose to deploy most everything rather than deep striking given normal deployment rules). If the jump army looses the roll to go first, they are essentially completely surrendering the first two turns (and then are really 100% at the mercy of your reserve rolls), which potentially lets the other side have forces literally bordering their deployment zone. Considering the fact that zones are contested based on # of scoring units, a stat at which a jump army is likely to be at a disadvantage to begin with, this is pretty much insurmountable if you have to go second, and not a whole heck of a lot better if you go first.

Deep striking can alleviate some of the dependency on reserve rolls, but on a 4x4 terrain heavy table its not that hard for say 1250 points of orcs/nids/guard/ to spread out to the point where even just a 6inch scatter has a higher than 50% chance of putting you in trouble.

I get that you're most likely disallowing the jump infantry normal deploy because of their mobility over normal troops, but they already pay for that in point cost, penalizing it further is just too punishing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
krak_kirby
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: 40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10   Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:32 am

If you bring an all jump troop army and get paired against a cheap all foot troop army, and if you lose the roll for first turn, that would definately be a bad situation. It could happen that way, but the odds are long. Most folks will bring a mix of units to form a balanced army, so most players will be starting only part of their army on the table and reserving the rest. If your opponent is working to push across the table with his scoring units, which should be the larger units anyway, he should be leaving room in his own deployment zone for your jump troops to arrive. I suppose if someone were to squeeze five squads of thirty boys into a list he could concievably blanket the table in orks, but that player would have fits in some of the other missions. It's just luck of the draw. Sometimes you get the right opponent in the right mission on the right table, sometimes you don't.

Ultimately it's a crapshoot what to bring, as no army is unbeatable. Orks, guard, wolves, and blood angels all have power builds that will smash most armies, but not all armies. Nids, orks, wolves and blood angels are what I expect to see a lot of, as 4x4 tables make things up close and personal. I set this up for 1250 points and small tables so we could get four rounds in. Four rounds is better to detrmine the winner. A great player can have a loss in a four round event and still win overall, while a loss in a three round event usually knocks the player out of contention.

Furthermore, as the planetfall mission is the first round, it won't be a matter of grinding your way to the top in three missions, only to face another unbeaten gunslinger while disadvantaged. It will be pure random chance who you will play, the very first mission of the event.

Finally, you could always bring less jump troops or another army entirely. I apologise for being presumptious if you have nothing but jump troops. Maybe your friends would let you borrow some units or an army? Painting and sports feature in this event, but not as much as battle points. Bring an army with multiple paint schemes if you think it will be good and killy, and you may bull through on battle and sports.

Ultimately, I hope you can come and play and have a good time. The events I run bring in some pretty stong players from southern Ohio, Kentucky and even Michigan. It ain't no walk in the park, but you'll learn some new things about your army and the other guy's army, and become a better player in the process. I always do!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Warmonger
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: 40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10   Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:20 am

krak_kirby wrote:

Quote :
Ultimately, I hope you can come and play and have a good time. The events I run bring in some pretty stong players from southern Ohio, Kentucky and even Michigan. It ain't no walk in the park, but you'll learn some new things about your army and the other guy's army, and become a better player in the process. I always do!

Amen to that brother.Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord

PostSubject: Re: 40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10   Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:39 am

Depending on which weekend we go to Renfest I would really like to play in this tourney again!

Slots still open?

New times calls for new Records:
Orcs & goblins (3-1-2)
Empire (0-0-0)
6th Edition
Orks (0-0)
Marines (3-1)
Imperial Guard (0-0)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/makarithraka
krak_kirby
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: 40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10   Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Yeah Sean, there's still spaces left. Call Eric at 937-879-3940 and they will get you on the list.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord

PostSubject: Re: 40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10   Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:00 pm

Ok so can I take multiple Nob units?
they are elite so for sure 1.
But then I take a warboss and they make 1 Nob unit Troops choice.
So can I take 2?
Also a big mek allows a Deff Dred to be taken as a troops choice too.
so 1 or to Deff Dreads as they usually come from heavies selection.

Orcs & goblins (3-1-2)
Empire (0-0-0)
6th Edition
Orks (0-0)
Marines (3-1)
Imperial Guard (0-0)
Back to top Go down
krak_kirby
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: 40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10   Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:13 pm

Anything you can make into a troops selection does not count towards the limit. You could have more than one nob squad provided all but one count as troops. Same for dredds or anything else from another codex.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord

PostSubject: Re: 40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10   Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:17 pm

except for ork codex the warboss allows only 1 nob squad to be troops and you cant take to warbosses. so limited by that.

Orcs & goblins (3-1-2)
Empire (0-0-0)
6th Edition
Orks (0-0)
Marines (3-1)
Imperial Guard (0-0)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 40K Mini RTT, Bookery in Fairborn, 10-16-10   Today at 1:12 am

Back to top Go down