CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Ard Boyz, round two

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

'Ard Boyz, round two Empty
PostSubject: 'Ard Boyz, round two   'Ard Boyz, round two EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 9:47 am

In case anyone cares, here is my sloppy "results" from the second round of 'Ard Boyz... (copied from my blog)

This past Saturday was the second round of 'Ard Boys. I took a semi-modified version of the Skaven list I won with to the second round. It was as follows:

Grey Seer w/ Screaming Bell, Feedback Scroll
35 Storm Vermin pushing the bell, w/ full command and a warp fire thrower team
36 storm vermin, with full command and a warp fire thrower team
36 Clan rats, spears, shields, full command, and a poison wind mortar team
36 Clan rats, spears, shields, full command, and a poison wind mortar team

Level 2 Plague Priest on the Furnace, flail, dispell scroll, item that gives any unit touching him -1 ld
35 plague monks w/ full command, the one use banner that allows you to re-roll misses and wounds

10 Poisoned Wind Globadiers
Plague Claw Catapult
Doom Wheel
Doom Wheel
Doom Wheel

Feels like I am forgetting something, unsure what it is. Anyway, that was the basic list. So I packed that Poo Poo up and went to Krystal Keep up in Dayton for round two.

Pretty good showing of armies, my Skaven, two Dark Elf players, a High Elf player (Dave/Crobar,) an Orc and Goblin player, a Warriors of Chaos player, a Daemon player, and a Dwarf player. Everyone had some interesting builds and overall looked like it was going to be a pretty good experience.

First round I was matched up with the Warriors of Chaos list. I honestly cannot remember exactly what he had, but it was something like two units of Knights, two units of Warriors, two heck Cannons, two War Shrines, and a massive amount of characters. His plan was a basic "point defense" trying to minimize the amount of points he lost. His knights had a field day in my back line, but in the end it was a 13-10 loss for me. I was able to eat some tasty characters and a unit of knights, which really set him back. I also abused the fact that if the character's mounts are still alive, you don't get points for the character. It was a fun game, and this cat had a really unique way of running WoC. Very unique and really gave me a couple of different ideas when I get around to finishing up my Warriors army.

Second round had me lined up against an Orc and Goblin player. Holy Poo Poo! This guy is the guy that runs the Marauder Mayhem event once a year. I should have guessed he was a really good player. He preceded to rofflestomped me something fierce. He had my ass to the wall on turn two, and never let up. Six bolt throwers, two rock lobbas, one doom diver, a million characters, Grimgor, Orcs and Orcs and more Orcs everywhere. I had no answer. Clanrats in nets, storm vermin in nets, and the pain was immense. We played it through, but I was done on turn four. Bolt Throwers just ran me threw. And this dude had some sweet tactics. This game will be the game that changed me from 7th edition to 8th edition. I lost, 25-0. My rear still hurts.

The final round I was pitted against Raji and his Dark Elves. Raji is the best person in the world to play against. He owns the shop and is a great dude. We've been friends now for 6+ years. Raji is a great guy and a great person to play against. His Dark Elf list was a little soft, and I was burned out from me re-education the game before, so we settled into a silly game of Fantasy. What the game is supposed to be about. Some smack talking, some silliness, some fun magic phases...it was awesome. My Skaven stuff was blowing up left and right, his purple sun eating my poor grey seer, his hydra eating clan rats for dinner. It was a blast. This game is one of my top five games of warhammer ever. So much fun! Anyway, in the end, I won 25-0, as he had no answer for Plague Monks. It was a fantastic game, and we laughed the whole game. Good times had by all.

Overall, I'm really happy I went to the second round. I was able to play against different people and really got to experience 8th edition in its fullest extent. I ended up taking 5th place. First was the Dark Elf player with four Hydras and 100 crossbowmen. Second was the Dwarf player, and third was the Orc and Goblin player that ruined my life. I think the Daemon player had fourth, me fifth, six was High Elves, seven was Warriors of Chaos, and last was Dark Elf. Overall an awesome event!

Overall, I feel that 8th has the potential to be the best version of Warhammer I've played. There is some growing pains in the game, and the older army books have the potential to abuse the game a little more (no way you should be able to take a billion Bolt Throwers) but as GW has time to readdress the books, they will balance out. The game is awesome, and I love it.

Long live 8th Edition!
Back to top Go down
http://www.aowcinci.com
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

PostSubject: Re: 'Ard Boyz, round two   'Ard Boyz, round two EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 8:10 pm

That is some solid reporting Kaine, thanks!

So the Chaos player had TWO Warshrines and ubber cannons.... cute. It is tournament so seeing a list made to win isn't surprising.

So Kaine with your skaven has the changes in 8th (and the current Skaven army book) make the intermediate elites that much more valuable than the old massive horde? Then again the rattling gun isn't what it used to be.
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: 'Ard Boyz, round two   'Ard Boyz, round two EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 8:31 am

Angry Bob wrote:
That is some solid reporting Kaine, thanks!

So the Chaos player had TWO Warshrines and ubber cannons.... cute. It is tournament so seeing a list made to win isn't surprising.

So Kaine with your skaven has the changes in 8th (and the current Skaven army book) make the intermediate elites that much more valuable than the old massive horde? Then again the rattling gun isn't what it used to be.

Yeah he had two shrines and two cannons. And he did pretty piss poor over-all. He was playing a to deny points and hope his knights and Cannons would make up the difference. Honestly, the heck Cannons are too expensive point wise for what they do. I will never run more than one in my Mortals list. Just too much random for 250 points. Anyway, he came in second to last, so I guess it wasn't that strong.

Honestly, I think Skaven need to bring more of a balanced list than what I had. Not balanced in terms of "not a broken list" but balanced in terms of effective units in every phase of the game. My current Skaven build is a little too weird war machine heavy. It's awesome to play and play against, but it's a little too random for a strong tourney scene. And as I was shown in the second round I need to stop playing 7th edition and fully embrace 8th. In my defense I really thought I had. I was mistaken...and the Orc and Goblin dude showed that too me.

Plus, I need to re-evaluate a lot of the stuff I run. Stuff like Poison Wind Globadiers are gone...their range is too short. I still think Ratling Guns are were it's at, in terms of weapon teams. They are much more reliable than Warp Fire Throwers and kill more stuff than Poison Wind Mortar teams. Clan Rats and Storm vermin are good, but they need some hard hitting back up. I am rethinking the whole Rat Ogre thing, as well as Night Runners and Gutter Runners to deal with stuff like 8 \"I'm so mad I can't type intelligently\" bolt throwers.

Once the Art of War league is over, I will re-evaluate the Skaven and such, but right now I need a break from them. two dozen-ish games with them without change is enough.
Back to top Go down
http://www.aowcinci.com
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: 'Ard Boyz, round two   'Ard Boyz, round two EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 2:48 pm

I did notice one or two impractical list that did well this year. The Dark Elf player that won it brought a list with tons of repeater crossbows and harpies. I understand his strategy, but as a whole, it isn't a good design for a tourney. Then again, if I could roll 5+ 50% of the time, I wouldn't have a problem bringing something like that either Smile. His 4 Hydras did better than I expected, I need to reevaluate things if I keep my Dark Elves. His dice rolling was awesome, his 4 Hydra breathed for 8d6 damage and hit me for a total of 33 chances to wound and on 3+ he wounded me 26 times. Rough fights Smile.

The Dwarf player was pretty solid, he rolled average against me till the last 2 rounds we fought. Unfortunately for me, the scenerio against him was miscasts on all doubles. I am still very impressed with his 6 4+ armor saves in a row to save his generals last wound. He had 4 stone throwers which did well against my toughness 3 units under the new rules. I still say that anvil is criminal Smile.

My third fight was against a Warriors of Choas player who was filling in because we had an uneven amount of players at the tourney. His army was ok, he rolled average and I rolled barely below average that game. H e had no heck cannons, and one warshrine. He was a decent player, but it was an odd scenerio and I beat him because of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Ard Boyz, round two   'Ard Boyz, round two Empty

Back to top Go down

'Ard Boyz, round two
Page 1 of 1