CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trollblood Fennblades

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GreenJello
Neophyte
GreenJello

Trollblood Fennblades Empty
PostSubject: Trollblood Fennblades   Trollblood Fennblades EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 11:59 am

Mostly completed, still need to have their bases flocked.

Debating whether or not to continue the Tartan, ton of work.

Trollblood Fennblades Fennblades_leader
Trollblood Fennblades Fennblades
Trollblood Fennblades Fennblades_side

The Tartan itself is based on the clan Tartan, as shown below:
Trollblood Fennblades Tartan
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Trollblood Fennblades   Trollblood Fennblades EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 2:43 pm

wow, good job with the Tartan! I don't have the steadiness to be able to freehand something like that. Definitely adds a neat personalized touch to the paint jobs, so even though it took a lot of work, if you did a bunch of models with it, it would look really good
Back to top Go down
GreenJello
Neophyte
GreenJello

PostSubject: Re: Trollblood Fennblades   Trollblood Fennblades EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 2:53 pm

Bojesphob wrote:
wow, good job with the Tartan! I don't have the steadiness to be able to freehand something like that. Definitely adds a neat personalized touch to the paint jobs, so even though it took a lot of work, if you did a bunch of models with it, it would look really good
Thanks, you're correct about the personalization, particulary since it's the family tartan, near as I can figure.

OTOH, it also adds about 1-2 hours per figure. Not so bad in Warmachine, a non-starter in 40K. I do have have dags and checks on my orks as well, but that generally 2 colors, and only the nobs.
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Trollblood Fennblades   Trollblood Fennblades EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 3:07 pm

Well, I think it looks like the time you spent on it was worthwhile, but only you can decide if it's truly worth spending more time on for more minis. Are you going to have a lot more of the guys with the fabric like that? Also, I don't know how long it takes the individual steps to dry, but a lot of times while one coat is drying on one mini, I will do the same step on another one... Usually can do about 3 at the same time and just do the steps one at a time on each one and get three done in the same amount of time. That's mostly true when I use inks and washes, though, so I'm not sure if that would help you at all or not.
Back to top Go down
GreenJello
Neophyte
GreenJello

PostSubject: Re: Trollblood Fennblades   Trollblood Fennblades EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 4:28 pm

I've gotten some good feedback here, and other places, so I think I'll keep it up. I'm much more aware of the flaws, so it's hard sometimes to see the good in it.

You're correct about doing one and moving one. I did all 6 at the same time, which helped, I had a couple I redid because I wasn't happy with them (both the same fig, something about the bit between the legs was tricky). When I redid those I had to wait a long time for each coat to dry, which was annoying.
Back to top Go down
MasterRabbi
Neophyte
MasterRabbi

PostSubject: Re: Trollblood Fennblades   Trollblood Fennblades EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 8:41 am

Looks really good, the red gems on the sword really sticks out, and the tartan looks very natural.

Are you going to do a dirtier base? I think a mud or rock base would be good to make the green of the tartan really stick out.
Back to top Go down
GreenJello
Neophyte
GreenJello

PostSubject: Re: Trollblood Fennblades   Trollblood Fennblades EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 10:40 am

MasterRabbi wrote:
Looks really good, the red gems on the sword really sticks out, and the tartan looks very natural.
Thank you, my gf made a similar comment. I think a lot of the ones I see online don't look like cloth because the colors are too solid, so you don't get a rough look.

Quote :

Are you going to do a dirtier base? I think a mud or rock base would be good to make the green of the tartan really stick out.
That's the a really interesting point I'll have to think about it. You're correct that the bases right now are pretty much the same as the tartans.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trollblood Fennblades   Trollblood Fennblades Empty

Back to top Go down

Trollblood Fennblades
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Painting, Conversions and Tutorials :: Gallery-
Jump to: