CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

(Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

(Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM Empty
PostSubject: (Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM   (Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 9:16 am

This ended up being a bit more difficult than I had expected. The base coat color I used, which was from that Vallejo Flames of War box, isn't what I was hoping for, though. I might have to put a different base coat down, maybe from GW, then paint this over it... Not sure yet. Thankfully, you can really see where the super glue bottle I was using erupted on it after I painted it, since I painted the two pieces separately. Stupid thing got superglue all over it and myself...

Anyhow....

(Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM FalconGunship

Funny thing is, you can see the color better and detail better in this using my phone camera than you can my DSLR.... I really need to work on taking better pictures!

Last edited by Bojesphob on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GreenJello
Neophyte
GreenJello

PostSubject: Re: (Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM   (Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 1:48 pm

Looks like a fun little peice. You did a nice job on the cockpit, really shows off the curves well.
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: (Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM   (Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 9:31 am

thanks, Green! Well, I wasn't happy with how the Middlestone from the Vallejo paint range went onto the mini, so I got a tip on the Hot LZ (unofficial DzC forum) to put a base coat of tan over the black primer, then paint the Middlestone over it. Much better results.

So, here is the UCM Seraphim!

(Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM Seraphim
Back to top Go down
GreenJello
Neophyte
GreenJello

PostSubject: Re: (Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM   (Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 9:47 am

Makes sense, yellows are some of the worst to cover with.

Tamiya makes a dunkle gerber in a (tiny!) spray can that's about the same tone and your model. OTOH, it's also expensive as heck! Smile
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: (Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM   (Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 10:00 am

Here is a rather horrible pic of the Legionnaires I just got finished with. I like how they turned out, for the most part Smile

(Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM Legionnaires
Back to top Go down
GreenJello
Neophyte
GreenJello

PostSubject: Re: (Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM   (Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Difference force from the Tron guys?

Looking nice!
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: (Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM   (Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 4:23 pm

Yup, these guys are the United Colonies of Man, or UCM, and the Tron guys are the Post-Human Republic, or PHR Smile
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: (Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM   (Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 9:54 am

Without much further ado, here is my first UCM tank with camo using the Vallejo paints Smile I ended up not opting for an airbrush, as I can't really spend the money on one right now. But, I found a way of drybrushing the pattern on, and it seems to give me approximately the same look.

(Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM Scimitar

The picture doesn't show the camo very well, but I'm having a heck of a time getting my DSLR working right, so I ended up taking this with the cell phone again...
So, I took a second picture, with the flash off, and in better light, hopefully that gives you a better idea of what the pattern looks like:

(Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM Scimitar2
Back to top Go down
GreenJello
Neophyte
GreenJello

PostSubject: Re: (Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM   (Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 10:24 pm

Very cool, but a little splotchy. Maybe see if you can make some of the camo extend a bit? Right now it looks a bit like balls of camo color. Maybe it's just the model.

Anyway, I agree, very close to the results you would get with an air brush. OTOH, having done this with FoW minis, I can tell you the air brush makes this about 10x faster than a paint brush.
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: (Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM   (Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 12:20 pm

Well, GJ, the colors don't show through on the model when the harsh light of a cell phone flash isn't on them. The brush technique actually doesn't take all that long, I would say each of these took about an hour to paint (well, the tanks at least, the dropship took about 3). Here are some more pics of some more of the stuff I've gotten finished so far. Still working on the camera technique...

(Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM UCMTanks1

(Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM UCMTanks2

I even did the camo on these guys, though it's really hard to see in the picture:

(Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM Praetorians

(Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM Albatross

(Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM AlbatrossBack
Back to top Go down
GreenJello
Neophyte
GreenJello

PostSubject: Re: (Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM   (Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 9:27 am

Well.... I managed to fully paint 7 PIVs, a Tiger, and primer 20 28 mm minis in about an hour using an air brush. YMMV.

I like the last ship you posted, they've got some interesting models in this line. The camo comes out better in these, probably easier area to get nice large patterns in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: (Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM   (Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM Empty

Back to top Go down

(Updated) UCM Falcon Gunship + Other UCM
Page 1 of 1