CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

An Idea hatched Forth

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
theblackcompany
Neophyte

An Idea hatched Forth Empty
PostSubject: An Idea hatched Forth   An Idea hatched Forth EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 7:45 pm

I have a buddy who runs a riptide heavy army and I've had a ridiculous time with dealing with their mobility.
So I had an idea. Is it worth the points to take a small squad of stormboyz to deepstrike in nearby the riptide and lock it in close combat?
They are ALWAYS earth cast making his + to hit so minimal that he is lucky to pull a wound. It was my original plan to run trukks up to him but it seems I can never get near it before the trukk goes pop.
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: An Idea hatched Forth   An Idea hatched Forth EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 6:41 am

You would most likely want the max size squad of stormboyz with zagstruck so you can deepstrike and assault the same turn.

Keep in mind though the trukk idea isn't too bad if you take 3 or 4 trukks especially if one had a big mek with kustom force filed to give cover saves so he can waste marker lights to remove if he uses those...
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/makarithraka
theblackcompany
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: An Idea hatched Forth   An Idea hatched Forth EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 8:43 am

Well between boomgunz and lootas markerlights are no longer a threat if he gets any at all, its first turn.
I was gonna include zagstruck so I could tie them up the turn I dropped. Why max the squad? He can't kill them. Hes lucky to get 1 wound a turn. I mean so am I but that's kinda the point. And I would want to spend less points on my squad than he does on the tide to truly justify
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: An Idea hatched Forth   An Idea hatched Forth EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 9:02 am

By maxing out the unit it maximizes the effect they will have on the battle field. The Interceptor portion should take out a few guys as well as the over watch segement and I assume he has supporting units to help with the over watch?

Also try not to insert unit to be one for one, if the stormboyz are 320 points don't worry if they are taking out a unit smaller in points wise because if maximized then they should be able to hit a second unit perhaps and more than make up their points or at least put a hurting on the other unit.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/makarithraka
theblackcompany
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: An Idea hatched Forth   An Idea hatched Forth EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 10:28 am

I don't expect stormboyz in any capacity to drop a riptide. Maybe lucky dice rolls but he hits on a 6+and wounds on a 4+ and has 3 A . The purpose would be to lock in CC the remainder of the game hopefully reducing its damage to my trukk boyz and battlewagons.
Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: An Idea hatched Forth   An Idea hatched Forth EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 6:25 pm

he realize he can only use one Earth Caste suit right??

oh...Tau fanatic here since 2006 and run a heavy tide list as well. It's very mobile
Back to top Go down
theblackcompany
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: An Idea hatched Forth   An Idea hatched Forth EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 6:28 pm

As of now his tide is limited to one plus farsight, but it really does become a problem that I have yet to find a solution for
Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: An Idea hatched Forth   An Idea hatched Forth EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 7:48 pm

matches that I play that really shut me down big time is being tied up in Melee. Granted I have a +2 AS, it's still a pain in the butt for me and won't give me an opportunity to use my charged Ion cannon or 2ndary weapons. Tie him up.....tie him up fast especially if he's only using one in his list
Back to top Go down
theblackcompany
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: An Idea hatched Forth   An Idea hatched Forth EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 7:52 pm

I know that giving advice to stop your beloved tau is not given lightly so I appreciate it.
So the recommended plan of attack would be not deepstriking but possibly using an insane amount of speed to get there and overwhelm.
Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: An Idea hatched Forth   An Idea hatched Forth EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 9:05 pm

theblackcompany wrote:
I know that giving advice to stop your beloved tau is not given lightly so I appreciate it.
So the recommended plan of attack would be not deepstriking but possibly using an insane amount of speed to get there and overwhelm.

If your the Ork player....HELL YES! Bikes, Noobs, who cares. I have no problem giving advice on how to counter my army or an opinion, a good commander focuses on HOW to counter such a situation. Tau is a very shooty army. We have the mean, we just need to utilize what we got so things like that don't happen. Example, I run a 3 Riptide list. If not 3, 2 for sure!
Back to top Go down
theblackcompany
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: An Idea hatched Forth   An Idea hatched Forth EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 9:15 pm

If you were looking to take a farsight enclave list (which is what he runs) what kind of Orkney list would you not want to see Kan Wall, green tide, speed freek, or wagon spam. I am at a point in my army where I can half ass make any of these lists but I will have to choose to specialize soon and since tau and ig are similar but essentially the only armies I play not sure which direction to go
Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: An Idea hatched Forth   An Idea hatched Forth EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 6:45 pm

theblackcompany wrote:
If you were looking to take a farsight enclave list (which is what he runs) what kind of Orkney list would you not want to see Kan Wall, green tide, speed freek, or wagon spam. I am at a point in my army where I can half ass make any of these lists but I will have to choose to specialize soon and since tau and ig are similar but essentially the only armies I play not sure which direction to go

Ask Pittman on how much I hate speed freak lists....lol

\"I\'m so mad I can\'t type intelligently\" orks...lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An Idea hatched Forth   An Idea hatched Forth Empty

Back to top Go down

An Idea hatched Forth
Page 1 of 1