CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reaper minis

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

Reaper minis Empty
PostSubject: Reaper minis   Reaper minis EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 8:38 am

Ok, I found some Reaper minis that I wanted to paint to use as a test bed for techniques that I've been wanting to try, so that I don't have to repaint any of my 40k stuff. Since these minis were around 4-6 bucks, definitely less than buying GW stuff to test these things on... I got these the last time I came into Sci Fi City to get black brush on primer (which they finally had more of!)

Anyhow, since I haven't been able to do flesh tones very well, the first mini I've been working on is Virina, Female Demon, and, even though I still have some work to do, this is how she turned out (since I know that there are underage kids on this board, I put the black bars in)... Oh, two views, one side one front, and, I know her right arm looks funky (as well as the hair under her left arm):

Reaper minis _1222773

Reaper minis _1222776

The guy next to her is a Ghost King that I just painted as well... I 'ardcoated him, so that's why the details are a little muddy. I'll probably matte finish him once it's warm enough to go outside and spray.

Then, this guy is a "Death Knight". The bones are still in progress, as I think they look a little silly at the moment, but I used a new paint that I found to do the rusted armor. Basically, it's a paint from Reaper called Rust, which I watered down just a smidge, and then drybrushed boltgun over... I like the result (especially on the axe blade and shield), so I may use that more often.....

Reaper minis _1222772

So, what do you all think? Did I do passable with the flesh tones? Anybody else like the rusted metal look?
Back to top Go down
Mack_attack
Neophyte
Mack_attack

Reaper minis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaper minis   Reaper minis EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 2:26 pm

I like them alot but you are right about the deformed stuff but i would not have noticed if you didnt post it
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

Reaper minis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaper minis   Reaper minis EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 5:09 pm

I say you did alright with the flesh tones, but it is a little dark. But I really don't know anything about painting any flesh (other than eyes). The rusty look is kinda cool, but try to avoid putting it on very many 40K Imperium things, cause they like to honor the machine spirit and wouldn't let the item get that rusty.
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

Reaper minis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaper minis   Reaper minis EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 5:12 pm

Oh, yeah, I definitely wouldn't want to use it on IG or SM... more like if I ever get into Necrons or Chaos Smile
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
Nathan

Reaper minis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaper minis   Reaper minis EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 5:14 pm

If you ever get into orks, it would work really well.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

Reaper minis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaper minis   Reaper minis EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 10:41 pm

Looking cool, seems like you are making improvements every mini Smile
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

Reaper minis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaper minis   Reaper minis EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 8:27 am

You know, it's amazing..... I always get good comments from you guys on how to improve, and a very realistic outlook on progres....

I go to another forum and post this stuff (one that is a little bigger) and it seems like I found the one that all of the Golden Demon winners and pro painters go to, as I get things like "if i may be frank, these look below average. the reason why? it is becuase it is blochy and thus makes it look crud when they can easily look a whole lot more." I know they aren't Golden Demon winners... That's not what I'm going for.... Anyhow, I think I might stop posting my stuff there, as I always get like 2 good comments on how it looks/where to improve, then I get a few that are like that previous one...

Thankfully, though, you guys give me some hope that I'm improving Smile
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

Reaper minis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaper minis   Reaper minis EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 11:48 am

Yeah, I think you could thin your paints more and go for layers of consistency to help with said "blotchiness".

People can be harsh though, just make sure to only listen to the people who can actually do what they talk about Wink
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

Reaper minis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaper minis   Reaper minis EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 12:06 pm

Oh, I agree, I do have work to do Smile But it was how it's said on that board that always gets me. It's horrible because it's not perfect is what the message I got from that guy was....

Well, I've been trying to water the paints down more, but it's difficult for me to find the sweet spot of having enough paint to cover, but not so much that it doesn't go on well.... I guess I need a few more Reaper minis with a bunch of exposed flesh to practice one Wink Laughing
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

Reaper minis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaper minis   Reaper minis EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 2:32 pm

Yeah I'd say your flesh is a good area to start working on, as it could help your minis look much better. Once I get my camera up here I'll see about posting a tutorial on how I do mine.

Another thing would be some refinement of color choice, the right colors can really make a mini pop.
Back to top Go down
Rhino-182
Initiate
Initiate
Rhino-182

Reaper minis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaper minis   Reaper minis EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 8:29 pm

when i saw these, i had 2 words on my mind, so i am just going to say it.

Demon bitch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Reaper minis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reaper minis   Reaper minis Empty

Back to top Go down

Reaper minis
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Painting, Conversions and Tutorials :: WIP Miniature Painting and Conversions-
Jump to: