CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lord of the Rings

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Crusader3025
Neophyte
Crusader3025

Lord of the Rings Empty
PostSubject: Lord of the Rings   Lord of the Rings EmptyThu Feb 07, 2008 2:19 pm

I see a lot of dislike for this game on some forums but I've played it and I like it. Plus to my mind Tolkien orcs are always cooler. Don't get me wrong I like my greenskins! Anyhow does anyone here in the group play this? I would like to get some games in at one point. There's lot history built into the trilogy and many battles could be fought. Plus given the movies it's easier to get a new player into it. Just my two cents. I invite comments but keep it clean please. Smile
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

Lord of the Rings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lord of the Rings   Lord of the Rings EmptyThu Feb 07, 2008 2:57 pm

If you have minis I would like to get a game in at some point.

I really liked it when I played (back when it first came out we played with the starter box a bit).

The minis are also really nice, the scale helps imo.

The system is also pretty good for a GW game.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

Lord of the Rings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lord of the Rings   Lord of the Rings EmptyThu Feb 07, 2008 3:13 pm

With my old group at Scifi Cincinnati the dislike wasn't the game system or rules. It more had to do with GW neglecting WFBs in product releases and taking space up in White Dwarf.

Personally I found it a little funny that the same company that got a lot of its juice from Lord of the Rings would end up making a literal copy of the game to go along side of their already existing copy.

Wouldn't mind trying it out so see what it is like.
Back to top Go down
Crusader3025
Neophyte
Crusader3025

Lord of the Rings Empty
PostSubject: Lord of the Rings   Lord of the Rings EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 9:01 am

I currently have a bunch of Easterlings, some painted some still in the box. This is my biggest army. I also have the boxed set of Rangers of Gondor/Arnor, and the boxed set of standard Gondorian soldiers. My wish is to collect a decent size army of pretty much everybody. Areas of conflict I'm interested in are the fights between the Easterling and the Dwarves (up North around the Lonely Mountain) at the end of the Third Age. Any Men in this fight would be represented by Rohirrim figs since the look is pretty close. Also any fights involving Angmar and Arnor. Heck pretty much anything Middle Earth is game. I like the realistic look of the figs and quasi-historical way the game plays.

I have a roommate who has expressed an interest in the Corsairs, and a friend who was interested in the Dwarves so we may have some additional opponents.

Once the weather warms up I'll probably start painting again. Right now it's too cold to prime minis and with the price of fuel oil we've been keeping the house at 60 degrees....brrr.
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

Lord of the Rings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lord of the Rings   Lord of the Rings EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 9:13 am

Crusader3025, I'm always hawking this..... lol... But if you still want to paint, but you can't use spray primer, you could always try the Reaper brand brush on primer that SciFi City has usually. It drys quickly, goes on like paint, and there are no fumes, that, and I primed my entire Baneblade (HUGE 40k tank) with less than one bottle, which was about 2.99. Not bad, IMO, and I didn't have to go outside to prime once Smile
Back to top Go down
Crusader3025
Neophyte
Crusader3025

Lord of the Rings Empty
PostSubject: Spray vs. Brush Primer   Lord of the Rings EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 12:44 pm

I've used both and generally prefer the spray. I find it faster. That's just my opinion though. :-)
Back to top Go down
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

Lord of the Rings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lord of the Rings   Lord of the Rings EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 1:49 pm

A funny thing, a couple years ago I hot my hands on a bunch of spear tot'n orcs with a bulk deal. Ended up selling them on ebay.
Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

Lord of the Rings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lord of the Rings   Lord of the Rings EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 2:39 pm

nothing like a $3 can of flatte black
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

Lord of the Rings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lord of the Rings   Lord of the Rings EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 2:54 pm

Well, to each his own I guess Smile I've done the spray, and I find that priming a model without having to get up out of my painting chair and letting it dry while I'm working on another model tends to save time. I know you can do a lot of minis at once with a spray, but, for me, I have to get up, go into my basement, get the spray, come back upstairs, go outside, spray, go back inside, wait for the spray to dry, go back out, get the minis, then come back in, and by that time, I would have had no problem just staying in my chair and priming them by hand.....

But, that's my experience..... I'm sure not everybody has to go up and down stairs and outside/inside so many times....
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

Lord of the Rings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lord of the Rings   Lord of the Rings EmptySun Feb 10, 2008 6:52 pm

I've been doing most things by hand lately. Allows for more control and a better finish imo.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

Lord of the Rings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lord of the Rings   Lord of the Rings Empty

Back to top Go down

Lord of the Rings
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Other Gaming :: Other Wargames-
Jump to: