CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Painting

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

Painting Empty
PostSubject: Painting   Painting EmptySun Feb 17, 2008 4:02 pm

ok is there any easy way to learn how to drybrush(not sure why people have shown me how but I still cant), ink and wash my models? Im looking for ways to make my skaven look even more differnt from the normal
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting   Painting EmptyMon Feb 18, 2008 8:52 am

Experiment would be what I would say is best. What I typically do is base the color that you want as the underneath color, then ink, let it dry completely (absolute must, as any wetness to it affects the drybrush), then go and dip your drybrush brush in the paint that you want to drybrush in, and using a paper towl, work most of the paint out of the brush until you have just a hint of paint coming off on the towl. (wow, that was a run on sentence) Then, apply the brush to the mini. Now, be careful, because if you didn't get a good proportion of paint off of the brush, the first brushing can be a little heavy, and can stick out once it goes into drybrush mode on the rest of the mini.

I don't know if that helps, but it would be a good place to start....
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting   Painting EmptyMon Feb 18, 2008 11:05 am

again inking?
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting   Painting EmptyMon Feb 18, 2008 11:36 am

Ok, well, hope this helps....
This is how I do it. I start with these items: 1 bottle of Reaper Black ink (if i'm using black ink), which is nice because it is in a dropper bottle; 1 dropper bottle of clean water (important to NOT use water you clean brushes with); a pallet or mixing tub.

Take the bottle of ink, and put a drop into one of the pallet's spaces, or in the mixing tub. I try to base how much I need off of how much inking I'm going to do. I use one small drop (but a full drop.... not sure if you know the difference, but after a while, you'll get the ratio of size of mini(s) how much ink you need). Then, with the water bottle, add 6-7 drops of equal size to the drop of ink to the same space in your pallet (or in your tub). Mix this thoroughly, and you should have an almost clear black liquid (you need to be able to see the color of the pallet underneath the ink if you spread it out over another part. But, you don't want it super thin, either). Then, liberally apply coating to the mini. I find that as long as your mixture isn't too thick, you can put as much as you want on it, and it should find the crevices/low points, and will leave you with the upper areas a little blackened, but it should still show the base color through. When you highlight/drybrush, these upper areas will be picked out, and the inking won't hurt anything. You can do the inking procedure as many times as you feel are necessary, but make sure the previous ink is completely dry, as it will cause it to run together.

Does this help any? Let me know if you have any questions on it.

ETA: You do about the same procedure with a wash.
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting   Painting EmptyMon Feb 18, 2008 11:58 am

This helps a lot. Ive been wondering how I do inking and washes, but on the drop....not exactly postive what you mean by that, but Ill figure it out when I try it out I guess, Thanks for the information
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting   Painting EmptyMon Feb 18, 2008 12:09 pm

well, the most important part is to try and get an approximate 6-7 drop ratio to water. The size of the drops is dependant on how much you need to ink.... It's hard to explain without a visual reference....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting   Painting Empty

Back to top Go down

Painting
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Painting, Conversions and Tutorials :: WIP Miniature Painting and Conversions-
Jump to: