A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

A few good rules lawyers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: A few good rules lawyers   Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:37 am

We were debating the age old Rules Lawyer on another board so I put this together..

Son, we play games that have rules. And those rules have to be guarded by men with large egos but lack a sense of purpose in life.

Who's gonna do it?

You Mr. Just wants to play for fun?

You, Mr. Likes to paint?

I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for speedy play and you curse me when I'm at the table. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that disecting the rules down to the grammar and placement of commas, while tragic and obscene, probably speeds up countless other games. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, adds value to the game.

You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at conventions and tournaments, you want me in those rules. You need me in those rules.

We use source materials you have never seen, compile rulings from obscure tournaments and spend countless hours playing mock games by ourselves to predict the most likely outcome. We do these things as the backbone of a life spent defending the true nature of the rules. You use 'em as a punchline.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to someone who conducts their games under the blanket understanding and transparency that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you improve your reading comprehension skills and stop asking me questions in the middle of your game b/c you're too lazy to look it up yourself.

Either way, I don't give a damn what you think.
Back to top Go down
JMarv
The MathHammer

PostSubject: Re: A few good rules lawyers   Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:27 am

I really wish there was a Warhammer (or whichever game you prefer) supreme court made up of very experienced players and sanctioned by GW who would issue rulings on some of the ambiguous language in many rules questions.

A lot of times there is a correct way to read the rules, sometimes the language conflicts with itself and there is no clear answer. Then if GW disagrees with a ruling they could amend the rules, kinda like changing the wording of a law in congress.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Matt
CAG Founder

PostSubject: Re: A few good rules lawyers   Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:15 am

Agree with John, although that will never happen Sad

I feel that a player just needs a level of maturity that allows them to bend a little depending on who they play. I try make as many things clear before the game as possible. Then go from there. I know the most common arguments, so I tend to make sure we understand each other before the game begins (terrain being a big one in 40k).

I do believe in reading rules RAW though, there is really no other way. It's either go with the book or argue opinions.

Then if all else is lost. He (or she;)) who rolls the highest on a single dice wins Smile

Kudos for the post.

Draw - 2 (The 13th hold out in alpha take and hold)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cincycag.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: A few good rules lawyers   Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:35 am

Quote :
Agree with John,

Actually... The quote isn't necessarily my opinion. Remember what happens to the Colonel at the end of the scene. He justifies his actions with the results. The question for the audience is "was cost justifiable." Overzealousness (or indignity of other opion) in any endevourer can lead to ruin.

However....RAW functions well enough....unless you start playing games that are translations into English. Then the "intent" isn't always the gramatical layout.

Like you Matt...I think the biggest thing for a player is to know the "rules Pitfalls" in your game system up front and make sure you layout your strategy for negotiating them if they come up in the game.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder

PostSubject: Re: A few good rules lawyers   Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:37 am

Whoops, sry... I meant JMarv, who is also named John Smile

Draw - 2 (The 13th hold out in alpha take and hold)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cincycag.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: A few good rules lawyers   Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:46 am

Matt wrote:
Whoops, sry... I meant JMarv, who is also named John Smile

Well that is an opinion I can support too.
Back to top Go down
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: A few good rules lawyers   Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:22 pm

jgemrich wrote:
Either way, I don't give a damn what you think. [/i]
Yeah this is something I was fairly sure John M would not say.

Aside anyone ending their long worded point ending it with this kind of comment is pretty much going to set that the other person isn't going to take anything else the arguer said seriously.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sigma Golem
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: A few good rules lawyers   Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:52 pm

I have to say, Matt said the most important, thus far, explain all special pittfalls and rules before the game/mission starts, just so everyone understands. And then roll off if anything else come up.

Translation is another biggy here. Its easy to understand a rule one way, and someone else to understand it another. This has and still does happen with AT-43. Second addition is being made as we speak, and from the way JB talks, this should clear up all problems. Lets hope so.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marc
Fantasy Moderator

PostSubject: Re: A few good rules lawyers   Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:36 pm

Sigma Golem wrote:
Second edition should clear up all problems. Lets hope so.....

..now where have I heard that before scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cincycag.forumotion.com/
Sigma Golem
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: A few good rules lawyers   Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:45 pm

Quote :
Lets hope so.....

Key words for this phrase. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile