CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Saturday, April 12th

Go down 
+8
Bojesphob
Marc
JMarv
Qoltar
Steve
Matt
Evil Bob
Scav
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Scav
Initiate
Initiate
Scav

Saturday, April 12th Empty
PostSubject: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 10:22 pm

Who's coming out to sci-fi saturday!?!?!

I've had a hard start to this quarter, and my only mental relief has been thinking about playing 40k this weekend!

I will get up and be there as early as anyone is able to take me haha
(matt, steve, cj)

Games I want to play:
-Some friendly and quick 1000 pts games with my new necrons vs anything
-Apoc game where i can use the aspect assault wave.. or proxy the shadow sect of karandras

Steve bring my eldar codex! haha if you want to use any of my things, just ask. I can entertain myself haha. I will PM you all I have...
Back to top Go down
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 10:58 pm

Working (actual paying work) this Saturday. Sad

I'm still trying to figure out what future Saturdays can work and post them.

Hope you all have a blast.

With Apok we need to get the table situation figured out. The table tops are mounted to the storage areas so other than emptying them out and turning two entire tables we are limited with 4' wide boards. Thinking about just brining in a crude 6' x 8' board in two pieces. My car is small but that hasn't stopped me from tying things unto the roof before.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 12:05 am

I'll make it up there I think.

Although I refuse to play Apocalypse Smile

Gimme a call later in the week to make sure I'm going Ryan
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com
Steve
Initiate
Initiate
Steve

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 1:17 am

I can be there this Saturday as early as 10, the usual.

I can give you ride if you need one Ryan. And if you let me use your eldar, then you will have full range of my necron models, so you can play more than a 1000 if you want.
Back to top Go down
Qoltar
Initiate
Initiate
Qoltar

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 1:39 am

Angry Bob wrote:

With Apok we need to get the table situation figured out. The table tops are mounted to the storage areas so other than emptying them out and turning two entire tables we are limited with 4' wide boards. Thinking about just brining in a crude 6' x 8' board in two pieces. My car is small but that hasn't stopped me from tying things unto the roof before.

If you're talking about the tables at Sci-FI - then I'm a little nervous about messing with them.
Those tables were built by the manager who is above Eric.
In other words: Eric's manager and boss.

Is there some other way around this dilemma?

Maybe start some battles on the plastic grey tables then continue onto the bigger main miniatures tables?

- Ed C.

Last edited by Qoltar on Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 9:11 am

Quote :

Yes there is, we just don't play apocalypse. Just one of many reasons not to play that drivel.
Back to top Go down
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 10:50 am

Yeah, I agree with Matt. I think Apocalypse can be fun for the kinds of themed battles BoLS does, or with a few players with well taylored forces.

But the dozen people plopping everything down on the table just doesn't seem to work well for me. Plus we really need a 6' by 10' table such that things on either end of the table might actually see each other during the battle.

I think it might also help to have more massive point sinks like titans too, cause just moving all the infantry around takes so long. Personally I like a high action/hour ratio. And I find that Apoc games just take too long. I'd way rather play 5 normal point games.
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 12:58 pm

Hell, me and Steve burned thru a 1750pt game in 2 hours today Shocked
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 1:08 pm

Report?
Back to top Go down
Scav
Initiate
Initiate
Scav

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 1:09 pm

that sounds like much more fun to me.. as unplanned apoc has not worked out incredibly well for us haha

if we do it we must plan it..

so lets all just meet up... bring 1500, 1750, and 1000 pt lists that are PRE MADE. we will then just circlejerk as manny battles as everyone can stay for.

woot!
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 2:31 pm

JMarv wrote:
Report?

We forgot pics, but I'll get a report up for sure.

White Scare vs Ultramarines Suspect
Back to top Go down
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 2:58 pm

Qoltar wrote:
My thought was brining in some boards. If they could be kept there. Yes I agree messing with the heavy bulky tables is impractical.
[quote="Qoltar"]Maybe start some battles on the plastic grey tables that continue into the bigger main miniatures tables? [quote]
Just measured them on Sunday. Unfortunatly no dice.
Back to top Go down
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 3:06 pm

Matt wrote:
Quote :

Yes there is, we just don't play apocalypse. Just one of many reasons not to play that drivel.
Having played so many of the regular 40K games they can be rather stale.

Speaking of drivel 1750pt games fit that bill nicely. People really need to start to achieve at least 2k and get out of the kiddy games.

If the issue is people wanting fast games, drop to 1k. I like lower point totals when a campaign is going on and time is an issue. For regular casual games it gets boring.
Back to top Go down
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 3:12 pm

We use 1750 because that is the standard US tournament point value. Why do you like 2000 more?

Different armies perform differently as the point value scales. Try playing Necrons below 1000 pts. They are terrible. At 500 pts they have to take 2 10 man warrior squads and a lord. That's all they can do.

Some armies play better the more points you go up, other start to fizzle out. My army is actually capped at 2250. I feel like 1500-1750 is a good region where most armies are equally balanced.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 3:15 pm

Yeah in 40k 1750 is pretty good. Bob, how often do you play 40k anyway?

40k at 1750 is solid, competitive, fast and fun imo. 2k is a good time too.

but 10k a side... give me a break.
Back to top Go down
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 6:23 pm

JMarv wrote:
We use 1750 because that is the standard US tournament point value. Why do you like 2000 more?
Variety. The games get a bit repetitious at lower point values. Many of the earlier groups ended up increasing the points to get that company-over-platoon feel. That and it encourages min-maxing.

1750 works well enough for tournaments because the games need to finish fast. Or 1850 for a number of years at Origins and Gencon, not sure what the current points are. My suspicion is that even pushing it just up to 1850 starts to make organized tournaments slow down.
JMarv wrote:
Different armies perform differently as the point value scales. Try playing Necrons below 1000 pts. They are terrible. At 500 pts they have to take 2 10 man warrior squads and a lord. That's all they can do.
I've noticed that myself. AT the lower values it gets pretty clear which army has the worse under point value on troops (or over in some cases).
Back to top Go down
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 6:40 pm

Matt wrote:
Yeah in 40k 1750 is pretty good. Bob, how often do you play 40k anyway?
A lot, whole dang lot since the IG metals first came out. Not often enough lately. This area is just weired for games. Stores open and close, the groups tend to be small and temporary.
Matt wrote:
40k at 1750 is solid, competitive, fast and fun imo. 2k is a good time too.
Technically whatever gets ones rocks off. So what work and all that.
Matt wrote:
but 10k a side... give me a break.
It depends on how many games and the social environment. The whole reason for Apok was to fix up some of the problems that occurred with larger battles.

There was a time when I was all about getting in games. Now it's variety, for some reason that variety seems to be sitting low. It depends on the situation.

The one old group from Cincinnati Scifi and later WoHaG would do large point games. When people know the rules well and multitask with others across the games do keep a good pace.

Aside I've done a 6K as side battle with myself and Nick on a regular table. it was casual and long. Lost 50+ guardsmen on his first shooting turn, hilariously violent.

I guess I like epic fake war. cheers
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 3:11 pm

I might try to make it out this saturday.... not sure yet if I will be able to or not yet, but I'll try to bring my IG. Not sure on my point total yet, I'll have to do some figuring.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 3:15 pm

Quote :
My suspicion is that even pushing it just up to 1850 starts to make organized tournaments slow down.

That isn't the reason. The 'ard boyz tournament was 2500 points and it was easy to finish within the time limit (only 30mins on top of the GT limit). I feel that it is a much more competitive number, prevents certain point heavy but broken combos and so on.

Last edited by Matt on Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 3:32 pm

Trust me.. the drop from 1850 to 1750 is quite brutal.

You really need to know your army..
Back to top Go down
CJ
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 4:25 pm

Hurt my Tau....that was an extra tank.....

I know alot of people thought it was the end of the world after GW and the GT tournies dropped it to 1750.
Back to top Go down
SciFiCityCincinnati
Initiate
Initiate
SciFiCityCincinnati

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 12:07 am

Hey guys!

I'm goin to chime in a bit on this topic as I have experience running larger games in store.

At Comic Book World, we'd do mass battles in 40K with 6 6 foot tables set up 3x2 short end to short end. The games were played long edge vs long edge with each side going all at once. Played very very nicely!

The same play style can still work on the tables at SFC as they are.

As for the tables, yeah, they really can't be moved.

Have fun playing guys!
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 6:51 am

I think I'm gonna try to make it and bring a couple of newbies to learn the game. If there are any other noobs that want to learn Sat. would eb a good day to git'er dun!

I'll bring my Orks, Marines, Nids, and IG. So we have a good variety of armies for them to see.

I want to get ther early early... opening maybe, anyone else? But I won't be there past 6 for sure.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/makarithraka
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 8:32 am

I'll try to be there (as a noob) Smile Actually, I might even be able to get a buddy of mine to come as well that likes to use the Tau I have (though, I don't have the most recent version of the Tau codex, only the one before the current one). I don't know how early we can get there, but I wouldn't say any past 11? Not sure, as I'd have to get my IG and Tau armies loaded up.....
Probably won't be able to stay past around 5-6 myself....
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 9:08 am

The had the most recent version of the tau codex in half price books right by the mall about 2 weeks ago. Might still be there!

As for this weekend, I may be able to drop by but I won't have time to play this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saturday, April 12th   Saturday, April 12th Empty

Back to top Go down

Saturday, April 12th
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next