CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

striking skorpions: what are they good for?

Go down 
+4
LupusGhost
Affliction
Matt
blurb777
8 posters
AuthorMessage
blurb777
Neophyte

striking skorpions: what are they good for? Empty
PostSubject: striking skorpions: what are they good for?   striking skorpions: what are they good for? EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 8:17 pm

in my last game (the only one i've played) my squad of striking skorpions went into assault wiht a squad of asault marines and dident even last till my next turn how am i meant to use them?
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: striking skorpions: what are they good for?   striking skorpions: what are they good for? EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 8:50 pm

The short answer... not much.

They can be used to outflank and harass enemy heavy weapon teams or as assault troops against lesser races.

Really though, for any job they could take on there is already a better prepared unit in the Eldar codex.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com
blurb777
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: striking skorpions: what are they good for?   striking skorpions: what are they good for? EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 pm

ok thank you ill remember not to use them
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: striking skorpions: what are they good for?   striking skorpions: what are they good for? EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 12:50 pm

I would still try them if i was you, you might find a particularly perfect use for them, they have a clean slate in 5th until they are once again considered useless... you never know, you might find a use for them!
Back to top Go down
blurb777
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: striking skorpions: what are they good for?   striking skorpions: what are they good for? EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 12:56 pm

ok
Back to top Go down
Affliction
Forum Moderator
Affliction

PostSubject: Re: striking skorpions: what are they good for?   striking skorpions: what are they good for? EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 5:13 pm

While doing my eldar research, the general consensus is that scorpions are better against horde armies, orcs, nids etc..banshees are better for meq armies or units that are heavily armored and few in numbers.
Back to top Go down
http://theblackparade2010.blogspot.com/
LupusGhost
Neophyte
LupusGhost

PostSubject: Re: striking skorpions: what are they good for?   striking skorpions: what are they good for? EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 5:38 pm

I think that they are pretty good, i had a unit of them that was reduced to two by necron fire then charged them and took out the whole thing and it wasnt even the exarch! i'm buying more of theses things!
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: striking skorpions: what are they good for?   striking skorpions: what are they good for? EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 6:38 pm

yeah, but how much luck was involved in that lupus?

how many necrons did they charge and so on?

as imo, if two ss's charge more than 3 or 4 necrons they are going to have a hell of a time coming out on top.
Back to top Go down
blurb777
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: striking skorpions: what are they good for?   striking skorpions: what are they good for? EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 6:39 pm

ok skorpions for hords and necrons
Back to top Go down
blurb777
Neophyte

PostSubject: Re: striking skorpions: what are they good for?   striking skorpions: what are they good for? EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 6:41 pm

scratch that skorpions for hords
Back to top Go down
Mendin
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: striking skorpions: what are they good for?   striking skorpions: what are they good for? EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 8:34 pm

Matt wrote:
yeah, but how much luck was involved in that lupus?

how many necrons did they charge and so on?

as imo, if two ss's charge more than 3 or 4 necrons they are going to have a hell of a time coming out on top.

8 necron warriors, lost by 1 in the second round of combat, failed morale check, initiative 2 doesnt do too well with sweeping advance, *fwoop*, squad gone.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: striking skorpions: what are they good for?   striking skorpions: what are they good for? EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 8:52 pm

Fair enough, but chances of failing a moral check at LD 9 (after losing by 1) are pretty only 1 in 4.

My point is, that is more of a cool story about SS's rather than a reliable use.
Back to top Go down
altahara
Sergeant
Sergeant
altahara

PostSubject: Re: striking skorpions: what are they good for?   striking skorpions: what are they good for? EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 9:47 pm

it was pretty fun to watch too.. i had just gotten done saying "mymoney is on the scorpions" and lupus said "i doubt they will survive" then the necrons lost combat, turned, ran, and were cut down.. hilarity was shared by all.. hehe
Back to top Go down
Chethrok_Bloodfist
Neophyte
Chethrok_Bloodfist

PostSubject: Re: striking skorpions: what are they good for?   striking skorpions: what are they good for? EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 1:58 am

I'll reaffirm the general sentiment that scorpions are generally only useful against horde armies with low Armor Saves. If you're building a list to take all comers, you'll get more mileage out of Banshees.
Back to top Go down
altahara
Sergeant
Sergeant
altahara

PostSubject: Re: striking skorpions: what are they good for?   striking skorpions: what are they good for? EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 2:16 am

banshees were always a 'eh' for me when i played eldar.. my biggest downside was the 3 str.. id usually hit alot but only score 2 maybe 3 kills.. with a 10 man (woman??) squad.. that is agains meqs..

just my opinion.. but i did take them always and fire dragons..
Back to top Go down
Scav
Initiate
Initiate
Scav

PostSubject: Re: striking skorpions: what are they good for?   striking skorpions: what are they good for? EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 4:34 am

scorpions are great fluff-wise and have really cool models. they are best used to infiltrate close to the enemy and get in assault. a unit of 10 will hold and kill 30 orks without much problem.. but they dont pack much of a punch.. only a hold. truly they are slow, and can't do anything that a good amount of firepower can't accomplish. you dont see them much in competitive eldar play.

if you are going to use banshees i would almost always include them with a farseer who has doom.. because even though they are only s3 the re-roll to wound will cause a LOT of hell.

its a decision that can always be debated.. but it always ends in your preference. banshees for MEQ's, scorps for hoardes. thats it and thats where this debate ends always. its truly up to you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: striking skorpions: what are they good for?   striking skorpions: what are they good for? Empty

Back to top Go down

striking skorpions: what are they good for?
Page 1 of 1