CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead?

Go down 
+6
Mendin
kendallswafford
Hacksaw
Qoltar
Keith
Mike Leon
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? Empty
PostSubject: Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead?   Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? EmptyMon Sep 08, 2008 11:09 pm

I noticed Yottas website says they no longer carry Yu-Gi-Oh cards, and Sci-fi only has ages old packs collecting dust.

I never played it. It looked incredibly broken and awful, but I have to know, is this game dead now?

On a related note, back in the day I had a friend who worked at a baseball card shop and he would use an atomic scale to find the Yu-Gi-Oh packs that had foil cards, buy them, and sell the foils to little kids for a nice little profit.
Back to top Go down
http://whowritesthisstuff.net/
Keith
Sergeant
Sergeant
Keith

Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead?   Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? EmptyMon Sep 08, 2008 11:23 pm

you can do the same w/ magic foils
Back to top Go down
Qoltar
Initiate
Initiate
Qoltar

Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead?   Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 12:20 am

To answer the thread's title : If you asked me ...off-the-record/Not the store's opinion then YES , Its pretty much dead!!! (Eric may say the same thing...trying to remember his comment last time it got mentioned at the store)

On our counter it has been marked down and discounted.

I haven't seen kids that interested in it since before we changed from just being Nord's Games.

So at least during my shifts I have seen a nosedive in sales of Yu-Gu-Oh.

- Ed C.

Last edited by Qoltar on Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hacksaw
Neophyte
Hacksaw

Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead?   Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 1:02 am

so if Yugioh is dead, what are all the kids playing thse days?
Back to top Go down
kendallswafford
Neophyte
kendallswafford

Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead?   Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 3:06 am

Stick a fork in it, cuz Yu-Gi-Oh's done. We'll sell a few boxes of the new release, usually to adults. The kids don't care anymore. In recent months, Pokemon has sold more steadily.

As far as what they're playing now... Chaotic was hot for a brief moment, but now nothing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.upupandawaycomics.com
Mendin
Initiate
Initiate

Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead?   Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 4:22 am

UFS still has a good system, supposedly.
Back to top Go down
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead?   Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 8:28 am

My wife used to babysit for a kid about 9 who was really into Yu-gi-oh a few years ago.

He really liked when I would come over and hang out (Dad wasn't really in the picture much) and so I took it upon myself to learn the rules to play Yugi with him.

Except he was playing it half wrong and didn't like when I taught him the real rules and then I couldn't really help but destroy him and he lost interest real fast.

You're right, that game was terribly unbalanced. Good riddance.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead?   Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 2:08 pm

I see a lot of kids around here playing UFS

But in order of popularity for actual organized play it goes...

Magic
Pokemon
UFS
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com

Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead?   Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 2:16 pm

Quote :
....and then I couldn't really help but destroy him and he lost interest real fast.

LMAO. I'm already crying for your children.

Flash Forward to JMarv as a parent sharing a tender moment with his son.....

"See boy....life isn't about winning all the time. Ya gotta take a few licks in order to appreciate the victories. Besides, it's looks like you really need to review your statistical tables again b/c your Red Dragon Archfiend doesn't stand a chance against my Ultra Rare Draconic Knight."
Back to top Go down
JTPitt
Sergeant
Sergeant
JTPitt

Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead?   Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 2:40 pm

Quote :
Flash Forward to JMarv as a parent sharing a tender moment with his son.....

"See boy....life isn't about winning all the time. Ya gotta take a few licks in order to appreciate the victories. Besides, it's looks like you really need to review your statistical tables again b/c your Red Dragon Archfiend doesn't stand a chance against my Ultra Rare Draconic Knight."

OMG LMAO...... lol!
Back to top Go down
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead?   Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 3:31 pm

Hey, I'd offer to explain things and give him advice as we went along, but he wanted none of that. Oh well, we'd just throw the football instead. It's good to get kids moving now adays anyway.

When I was little (~6) my Dad would play me in chess. At the very first while I was learning the rules he would let me win or come close to winning. Then about age 8 he just started playing me and I was confused about why I didn't win as much anymore. It took until about 12 before I got near winning parity again.
Back to top Go down
Callabryn
Neophyte
Callabryn

Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead?   Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 10:07 pm

I still keep a deck handy... in case somebody wants to get bold... >.>
Back to top Go down
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead?   Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? EmptyTue Sep 16, 2008 7:54 pm

JMarv wrote:

When I was little (~6) my Dad would play me in chess. At the very first while I was learning the rules he would let me win or come close to winning. Then about age 8 he just started playing me and I was confused about why I didn't win as much anymore. It took until about 12 before I got near winning parity again.

My dad has a 2200 rating... Try keeping up with that when you're a kid. Sad

As for UFS, I checked that out a while back. It was sort of meh... 'aight. I really felt like it just wasn't dynamic enough. With Magic there are cards that do all sorts of crazy things to the gameplay and that makes it really interesting, but UFS is sort of like every card just modifies the same numbers up or down a little. It gets old fast. I feel like I could just play War with a deck of bicycle cards.
Back to top Go down
http://whowritesthisstuff.net/
Sponsored content

Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead?   Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is Yu-Gi-Oh dead?
Page 1 of 1