CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Reach Ork Warboss

Go down 
+5
Hacksaw
Marc
JMarv
The Madman
Bojesphob
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

Black Reach Ork Warboss Empty
PostSubject: Black Reach Ork Warboss   Black Reach Ork Warboss EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 7:25 am

I do have to say that I'm surprised no one else has shown off any of their Black Reach pics yet!! What's up with that?

Anyhow, I actually got the box before I went on vacation (though, had no time to work on it), and was able to get to a point where I wanted to share on the Warboss. Any comments or critiques welcome!! Smile

Black Reach Ork Warboss Orkwarboss

Oh, and I just thought I would mention.... this is the first Ork I've ever painted, so be gentle!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Reach Ork Warboss   Black Reach Ork Warboss EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 7:32 am

Wow...>Great work. I love it. I think you need to shift to greenskins.

High points...

Skin, Power Claw and pants.

Only complaint is the warbanner. Looks very Flat.
Back to top Go down
The Madman
Sergeant
Sergeant
The Madman

PostSubject: Re: Black Reach Ork Warboss   Black Reach Ork Warboss EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 8:20 am

I agree!
the skin mix is awsome!
you even managed to get the frayed wires in the power cord colored
Good work
Back to top Go down
http://www.cincyrec.org
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

PostSubject: Re: Black Reach Ork Warboss   Black Reach Ork Warboss EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 8:36 am

I think this is one of your best models so far!

I agree with John on the banner thingy. Try hitting it with a wash to bring out those details a bit more.
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Black Reach Ork Warboss   Black Reach Ork Warboss EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 9:00 am

Ok, wow, thanks guys Embarassed

I definitely hadn't done anything with the banner.... I can't think of what would look good that I can accomplish. But, since you guys like it so much, I'm glad that I have the rest of the Black Reach guys to paint! cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Reach Ork Warboss   Black Reach Ork Warboss EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 12:00 pm

bojesphob1 wrote:
Ok, wow, thanks guys Embarassed

I definitely hadn't done anything with the banner.... I can't think of what would look good that I can accomplish. But, since you guys like it so much, I'm glad that I have the rest of the Black Reach guys to paint! cheers

I'd go similar to the claw. Just metalic w/ a little blood dripping down. Either that or all red.
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: Black Reach Ork Warboss   Black Reach Ork Warboss EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 1:23 pm

Practice makes progress... well done!
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
Hacksaw
Neophyte
Hacksaw

PostSubject: Re: Black Reach Ork Warboss   Black Reach Ork Warboss EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 11:00 pm

looking really good. I really like the skin tone and the face is unreal, but maybe its just me, but the tabard seems off. It's done really well, but I think the color doesn't flow well with the rest of the model.
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Black Reach Ork Warboss   Black Reach Ork Warboss EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 8:56 am

Hacksaw: Well, the flash on my camera really makes it stand out. When you view it in normal light, it actually isn't quite as off.... I've got a professional flash coming for my camera this weekend that I need for a cousin's wedding (she asked me to take the pictures for it), and it has a defuser with it, which I think will help with these pictures. Just out of curiosity (in case I decide to repaint that), what color would look best with it? I've not taken any classes or anything for color theory (or art in general, for that matter), so any ideas would help me in the future!

I have two more pics... Front and back of the warboss (John, I painted the war banner up with metal, then tried to put a rusted look to it), and another one of the Orks from the Black Reach set, with which I tried to do about the same style with Smile

Black Reach Ork Warboss Orkwarboss2
Black Reach Ork Warboss Orkwarboss3
Back to top Go down
The Madman
Sergeant
Sergeant
The Madman

PostSubject: Re: Black Reach Ork Warboss   Black Reach Ork Warboss EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 9:20 am

I think you've got a great pattern started and seeing it in a wider shot next to the other ork... seals it for me

as far as the od colored parts-
something I learned from John, is to intentionally have those 2-3 Focal points (I don't recall what he actually called them) contrasting the color palate of the main fig
I think you did that nicely
Back to top Go down
http://www.cincyrec.org

PostSubject: Re: Black Reach Ork Warboss   Black Reach Ork Warboss EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 9:48 am

The Madman wrote:
I think you've got a great pattern started and seeing it in a wider shot next to the other ork... seals it for me

as far as the od colored parts-
something I learned from John, is to intentionally have those 2-3 Focal points (I don't recall what he actually called them) contrasting the color palate of the main fig
I think you did that nicely

"spot" colors. Usually 1 central and 2 on the extremeties to form a "triangle". In the case of the Orcs the Green popping from all the metal acts as the spot to bring your focus in. On the boss the red functions the same. with the mouth and blood on the claw.

@Joe - what is your brown recipe. I'm really liking it on the orks.

Also, If you want to try something cool for rust try some parasite brown(can't remember the real GW color), thinned and applied to the rivots. I wouldn't start on your Boss but a smaller guy to experiment.
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Black Reach Ork Warboss   Black Reach Ork Warboss EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 10:21 am

I guess since I didn't know that there was actually a technique for what I did, that's why I didn't explain what I did. So, yeah, "spot" colors works as an explanation Smile

Uh, the browns.... Black primer base, Scorched Brown full coating, watered down Bestial brown coated, highlighted with Vermin Brown, then slightly highlighted with Graveyard Earth.

On the rust... What I did was I did a base of Tin Bitz for the metal, drybrushed on Boltgun Metal, then took a mix of 1 part Blood Red, 1 part Boltgun Metal, and 3 parts Rust (I want to say it was a tub of Rust paint from Reaper.... not sure exactly at the moment) and then 3 parts water and did a wash on it. I guess it really didn't do all that much, as you can't really see it at all, even in the full sized pics....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Reach Ork Warboss   Black Reach Ork Warboss EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 10:50 am

Don't add any metallics to your rust recipe. IRL rust is nolonger a metallic compound but its oxidized derivitive that robs its shine. Rust (or other types of oxidation is "flat" in nature.

I like the idea of going deeper red then up to your orangier rust colors.

Here is an old document I did for Rusting AT43 containers. Warning, it's alittle big.

http://nacord.net/Home/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=6svhpwdmZBE%3d&tabid=57&mid=379
Back to top Go down
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

PostSubject: Re: Black Reach Ork Warboss   Black Reach Ork Warboss EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 11:02 am

On the topic of "rust" there are many types of oxidized metal compounds that occur in nature, so don't feel like you need to limit yourself to the standard red brown.

For iron-based alloys, the traditional orange-brown color is actually an iron hydroxide (Fe2(OH)3)) which requires water to be present in the atmosphere to form. So, no red-rust in space.

At higher temperatures the most likely oxide to form is the Fe2O3 form which is black. This is also what forms when exposed to most concentrated acids.

For nickel based alloys the oxidation/corrosion products are typically of a blueish hue although they can also be black. For thin coatings the result is an iridescent gradient until the coating gets thicker.

Aluminum forms a gray-black oxide, although it is typically very thin allowing some of the underlying sheen to shine through. Aluminum can also for a trichloride corrosion product which is green.
Back to top Go down
JTPitt
Sergeant
Sergeant
JTPitt

PostSubject: Re: Black Reach Ork Warboss   Black Reach Ork Warboss EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 12:21 pm

JM, it scares me that you know that....its good info to know though.
Back to top Go down
JMarv
The MathHammer
JMarv

PostSubject: Re: Black Reach Ork Warboss   Black Reach Ork Warboss EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 12:44 pm

It's sort of my job to know that kind of stuff. Not only will I lay the hammer down regarding statistics, but also regarding materials science.

I'm sure the combined CAG knowledge base is pretty impressive

Matt can inform us what looks cool and how to make movies,

Gemrich can tell us about banking,

Marc can treat us if we're sick,

Chef/DJ Makari can let us all know whether Christina Aguilera or 50 Cent goes better with Duck with pear sauce

and CJ can "insert favorite CJ joke here"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Reach Ork Warboss   Black Reach Ork Warboss EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 2:14 pm

oooo oooo.

Who wants to know about credit swaps? Maybe a little discussion on why LIBOR is exceeding the T bill by over 130 basis points.

I've got tons of useful bank stuff to rattle off.
Back to top Go down
Sigma Golem
Sergeant
Sergeant
Sigma Golem

PostSubject: Re: Black Reach Ork Warboss   Black Reach Ork Warboss EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 3:06 pm

I can build you a road. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Black Reach Ork Warboss   Black Reach Ork Warboss EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 3:32 pm

And, I can build you a database and write a website to track everybody's jobs and armies, and then do data manipulation to show the demographics of the group Smile

Oh, and paint a mean Ork!
Back to top Go down
Cherry Darling
Forum Matriarch
Cherry Darling

PostSubject: Re: Black Reach Ork Warboss   Black Reach Ork Warboss EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 4:09 pm

I have to chime in of course........
Among a few other things, I can tell you about titles, taxes, and licensing. So anybody want some personalized plates for your Landraider Crusader?
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: Black Reach Ork Warboss   Black Reach Ork Warboss EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 8:06 pm

And of course I don't make the food you eat, i make the food you eat taste Better!!!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/makarithraka
Hacksaw
Neophyte
Hacksaw

PostSubject: Re: Black Reach Ork Warboss   Black Reach Ork Warboss EmptyFri Sep 26, 2008 9:17 pm

personally I'd make it a darker color and add a deep red heraldry to it. maybe thrown on some kill tallies or other orky design
Back to top Go down
Bojesphob
Forum Moderator
Bojesphob

PostSubject: Re: Black Reach Ork Warboss   Black Reach Ork Warboss EmptySat Sep 27, 2008 2:08 pm

I got my new flash for my camera, and took another pic... one that isn't quite so washed out.

Black Reach Ork Warboss Orkwarboss4

Also, two more Orks that I'm working on (even though I don't have the other ones complete yet, lol)

Black Reach Ork Warboss Orks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Reach Ork Warboss   Black Reach Ork Warboss Empty

Back to top Go down

Black Reach Ork Warboss
Page 1 of 1