CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is the most useless unit in 40k?

Go down 
+11
archite666
LupusGhost
Sexiest_hero
Makari
jpohagan
HAND OF DUME
kainthedragoonx
FrostWolf
Mendin
Matt
Mike Leon
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

What is the overall most useless unit in 40k?
Sisters Repentia
What is the most useless unit in 40k? I_vote_lcap4%What is the most useless unit in 40k? I_vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Necron Pariah
What is the most useless unit in 40k? I_vote_lcap6%What is the most useless unit in 40k? I_vote_rcap
 6% [ 3 ]
Tau Stealthsuit Team
What is the most useless unit in 40k? I_vote_lcap2%What is the most useless unit in 40k? I_vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Inquisitorial Stormtroopers
What is the most useless unit in 40k? I_vote_lcap6%What is the most useless unit in 40k? I_vote_rcap
 6% [ 3 ]
Possessed Chaos Space Marines
What is the most useless unit in 40k? I_vote_lcap8%What is the most useless unit in 40k? I_vote_rcap
 8% [ 4 ]
Tyranid Spore Mines
What is the most useless unit in 40k? I_vote_lcap10%What is the most useless unit in 40k? I_vote_rcap
 10% [ 5 ]
Flayed Ones
What is the most useless unit in 40k? I_vote_lcap8%What is the most useless unit in 40k? I_vote_rcap
 8% [ 4 ]
Vespids
What is the most useless unit in 40k? I_vote_lcap15%What is the most useless unit in 40k? I_vote_rcap
 15% [ 7 ]
Tau Ethereal
What is the most useless unit in 40k? I_vote_lcap31%What is the most useless unit in 40k? I_vote_rcap
 31% [ 15 ]
Something else
 8% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 48

AuthorMessage
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

What is the most useless unit in 40k? Empty
PostSubject: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptyWed May 27, 2009 10:02 pm

I can't make up my mind.
Back to top Go down
http://whowritesthisstuff.net/
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptyWed May 27, 2009 10:22 pm

I actually think, both pariahs (I know I know... not necrons) and flayed ones can kiiiiiind of work if you use them right. Definitely not as bad as some on that list.

...well maybe pariahs Wink They are pretty terrible.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com
Mendin
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptyWed May 27, 2009 11:35 pm

Daemons of Chaos Furies

e: Well, actually, they're jump infantry, so they have some mobility, and they're cheapish... I dunno
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptyThu May 28, 2009 6:25 am

Tau Ethereal, they do more harm than good when you use them, the die easy, and when they die your whole army has to take a morale check, they take up a HQ slot yea competly useless.
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptyThu May 28, 2009 9:14 am

FrostWolf wrote:
Tau Ethereal, they do more harm than good when you use them, the die easy, and when they die your whole army has to take a morale check, they take up a HQ slot yea competly useless.

Agreed. 100%. FAIL!
Back to top Go down
http://www.aowcinci.com
HAND OF DUME
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptyThu May 28, 2009 9:18 am

I know they're not on your list... but vanilla chaos lesser daemons totally bite!
I would rather have the possessed than the daemons if I had to choose.

Maybe Chaos dreads too... shoot your own guys... forget that crap!
Back to top Go down
jpohagan
Neophyte
jpohagan

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptyThu May 28, 2009 10:43 am

It's good to see Ork units are completely useless. Smile
Any opinions on what the most useless unit in the Ork army is? Flash Gitz don't seem worth the point cost in my opinion, but I've never actually used them. Maybe that random AP is actually useful.
Back to top Go down
Makari
Supreme Forum Overlord
Makari

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptyThu May 28, 2009 11:52 am

jpohagan wrote:
It's good to see Ork units are completely useless. Smile
Any opinions on what the most useless unit in the Ork army is? Flash Gitz don't seem worth the point cost in my opinion, but I've never actually used them. Maybe that random AP is actually useful.

Actually i haven't found any ork units to be too horrible to have been put on the list. They all fill a niche that is as good as the player who is using them. Thats why I think the Orks and Guard are the most versitile armies as far as what they can do and do well... Ok gurad still need to prove themselves but I think they will do just fine!!!
Flash Gitz may be one of the under used unit but I would definitely use them in a shooty list.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/makarithraka
Mike Leon
Forum Moderator
Mike Leon

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptyThu May 28, 2009 12:23 pm

I thought about lesser daemons and I didn't include them in the list because I have actually seen them used effectively before. Dennis runs some and he uses them in really sneaky ways because they can deep strike and still assault.

Possessed I have never seen anybody use, unless they just bought the CSM boxed army and have never played the game before. Then they never use them again after that.
Back to top Go down
http://whowritesthisstuff.net/
Sexiest_hero
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptyThu May 28, 2009 12:25 pm

Lesser daemons can charge on the summon, great for daemon bombing bikes. My money goes to the SPACE POPE. Man that tau was crappy. Now a days it goes to Chaos furies. 45$ for 5 t3 str3 flying monkies, No thanks.
Back to top Go down
HAND OF DUME
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptyThu May 28, 2009 8:33 pm

I'd rather pay the 3 extra points per model and get bolter, bolt pistol, frag and krak grenades than take lesser daemons. And hell they might not come in 'til 5th turn.
Back to top Go down
LupusGhost
Neophyte
LupusGhost

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptyFri May 29, 2009 3:48 pm

Space wolves blood claws w/ jump packs. 30 pts for a ws3 assault trooper, huge waste!
Back to top Go down
archite666
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptyFri May 29, 2009 4:34 pm

I still don't like ogryns in the new codex... but definitly the most worthless unit in the new guard codex has to be....

Mogul Kamir, Yes I know hes a special character but everything in the codex is so nice except him. Yes lets give rough riders rage!
Back to top Go down
Chethrok_Bloodfist
Neophyte
Chethrok_Bloodfist

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptySun May 31, 2009 12:30 am

Are you kidding? Ogryns are one of the most solid units in the new codex! T5 keeps them around forever (execpt against Dreadnought power fists, of course), and an extra Attack each makes them better in hth.

I will say that Rough Riders are just about the only unit in the IG codex that got totally boned, though. They still only get one hunting lance per game, and after that they don't even get pistols and ccws (they get choice of either pistol or ccw). Mogul Kamir isn't bad per se, but maybe that's because he adds a little hitting power to a unit that's dreadfully underpowered.
Back to top Go down
Matt
CAG Founder
Matt

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptySun May 31, 2009 1:27 am

They were never worth much after their hunting lance charge anyway.
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com
archite666
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptySun May 31, 2009 2:25 am

Chethrok_Bloodfist wrote:
Are you kidding? Ogryns are one of the most solid units in the new codex! T5 keeps them around forever (execpt against Dreadnought power fists, of course), and an extra Attack each makes them better in hth.

I will say that Rough Riders are just about the only unit in the IG codex that got totally boned, though. They still only get one hunting lance per game, and after that they don't even get pistols and ccws (they get choice of either pistol or ccw). Mogul Kamir isn't bad per se, but maybe that's because he adds a little hitting power to a unit that's dreadfully underpowered.

Sorry sir but I will have to totally disagree with you.

Yes they are a 3 wound model, but they are 40 pts and a 5+ save.

Further, rough riders are amazing, sure they don't tie up DCC for many turns, rather they just counter charge the crap out of them and get your guys back to shooting.

Also, if you using rough riders as I'm saying (which makes them extremly viable at 11pts a piece) then you would know that Mogul Kamir is completely a waste as he gives them rage which makes them charge head first into the enemy.

So if you playing line guard like most of us do, and using RR as counter charge, which you should, then you could see why having them charge head on into the enemy before they even reach your lines would be a bad thing.

Now if your one of those new age guys whose trying to go for a CC guard then... well your probably screwed anyway at which point Mogul is perfect.
Back to top Go down
Sexiest_hero
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptySun May 31, 2009 6:29 am

I use rough rinders and I love them. But Ogryn are good too. they will outshoot and go toe to toe with a full ork mob. t5 feams thsy don't fear a powerfist or even a lascannon to the domethey are more curvivable than a chaos lord, with a pretty good gun ontop. stuck them infro of whatever you need protected or out in fron in cover. and ethier watch you opponet waste fmall arm fire on them or better shoot a las cannon and find out it doesn't insta-kill them. Each of these guys has the same toughness as a chaos daemon prince.
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptySun May 31, 2009 11:25 am

Tau Stealth Suits Question

Any unit that has the Infiltrate ability is gold in this edition..
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 3:37 pm

Had to vote the Ethereal. For all the previously posted reasons AND that they have too much fluff yet can't be even be given a power weapon in the one area they are supposed to be good at.

Not listed but something I haven't ever been too happy with are the priests in the IG book. Painfully expensive and the only thing I'd ever want to use them for is a death or glory chance with their mega-cc weapon.
Back to top Go down
archite666
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 4:29 pm

Angry Bob wrote:
Had to vote the Ethereal. For all the previously posted reasons AND that they have too much fluff yet can't be even be given a power weapon in the one area they are supposed to be good at.

Not listed but something I haven't ever been too happy with are the priests in the IG book. Painfully expensive and the only thing I'd ever want to use them for is a death or glory chance with their mega-cc weapon.

Actually the boys over at dakka are making a hella use for them. They blob squads with priests, commies, and sgts with PW. The squads are so cheap you would be surprised how easy it is to put together a multiPF/PW backed by a priest and like 50 warm bodies.
Back to top Go down
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 4:53 pm

archite666 wrote:
Actually the boys over at dakka are making a hella use for them. They blob squads with priests, commies, and sgts with PW. The squads are so cheap you would be surprised how easy it is to put together a multiPF/PW backed by a priest and like 50 warm bodies.
Yeah a mobbish cc unit of guard have been around since the old City-Fight book. Maybe a preist running around with Ogryns might work too.

All I do know is since the days from the first codex the imperial guard have have had mixed cc results at best. At the end of the day even the special weapons guys are limited by WS, S, A, being the puny humans they are.

The poor preists can easiy be killed by anyone who realizes they are independed characters and can have cc attacks dedicated on them. That's 60 points just being given away.
Back to top Go down
archite666
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 5:22 pm

Angry Bob wrote:
archite666 wrote:
Yeah a mobbish cc unit of guard have been around since the old City-Fight book. Maybe a preist running around with Ogryns might work too.

All I do know is since the days from the first codex the imperial guard have have had mixed cc results at best. At the end of the day even the special weapons guys are limited by WS, S, A, being the puny humans they are.

The poor preists can easiy be killed by anyone who realizes they are independed characters and can have cc attacks dedicated on them. That's 60 points just being given away.

Cant put priests with ogryns, doest work.

And I think you miss what i'm saying about blob squads, theres an actually rule thats lets you combine squads now. So you can literally make a unit as I descibed almost like an ork mobb
Back to top Go down
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 6:43 pm

archite666 wrote:
NOOOooooooo. Okay. 8-)
archite666 wrote:
And I think you miss what i'm saying about blob squads, theres an actually rule thats lets you combine squads now. So you can literally make a unit as I descibed almost like an ork mobb
You were clear. Yes one could have a 61 man infantry unit with 5x Sgts using PWs, 5x priests, 5x Commissars with PWs, one Commissar with PW/PF or whatnot. Against Kroot, Grots, other Humans it may work out fine. Against hard CC troops it's just a bloodbath waiting to happen. Grantded the PW toting Sgts and Commisars could die last so that 10 power weapon attacks until the brutal end. But those stats are still baseline human. The five Priests are easily DOA in many cases and the Commissar Lord is a goner if the enemy has a much better CC layout.

Aside long ago pre-Cities of Death there was a book called city fight that allowed for larger than 10 man IG squads.
Back to top Go down
archite666
Initiate
Initiate

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 7:02 pm

Angry Bob wrote:
archite666 wrote:
NOOOooooooo. Okay. 8-)
archite666 wrote:
You were clear. Yes one could have a 61 man infantry unit with 5x Sgts using PWs, 5x priests, 5x Commissars with PWs, one Commissar with PW/PF or whatnot. Against Kroot, Grots, other Humans it may work out fine. Against hard CC troops it's just a bloodbath waiting to happen. Grantded the PW toting Sgts and Commisars could die last so that 10 power weapon attacks until the brutal end. But those stats are still baseline human. The five Priests are easily DOA in many cases and the Commissar Lord is a goner if the enemy has a much better CC layout.

Aside long ago pre-Cities of Death there was a book called city fight that allowed for larger than 10 man IG squads.

City fight was not that long ago friend. I have played guard since 3rd edition Smile Youd only use one priest as its all you need for the reroll. And no of course you wouldnt be taking on terminators or anything. But its an ideal unit for a counter charge.

When we speak of IG in CC terms were never speaking in like a offensive unit, it just doest work. Its always in refernece to a counter charge unit.
Back to top Go down
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 3:35 pm

archite666 wrote:
City fight was not that long ago friend. I have played guard since 3rd edition Smile
True while city fight was after 3 ED but still two main set rules ago that time elapse hasn't been a decade or anything.
archite666 wrote:
Youd only use one priest as its all you need for the reroll.
I thought the point was to get as much armor ignoring CC as possible.
archite666 wrote:
And no of course you wouldnt be taking on terminators or anything. But its an ideal unit for a counter charge.
Will pat you on the back if you do the same? 8-)
archite666 wrote:
When we speak of IG in CC terms were never speaking in like a offensive unit, it just doest work. Its always in refernece to a counter charge unit.
If I forget this again just remind me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is the most useless unit in 40k?   What is the most useless unit in 40k? Empty

Back to top Go down

What is the most useless unit in 40k?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next