CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Named Characters

Go down 
+2
Sexiest_hero
Marc
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

Named Characters Empty
PostSubject: Named Characters   Named Characters EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 10:28 am

How do you guys play in regards to Named Characters? I'll admit that I needed to peek at the Wood Elf book upon seeing CJs list. If I would have come across his army at a tourney I would be at a complete loss since I have never payed tooo close attention to these entries.

Are they frowned upon for friendly play? Tournament play? Either/both?
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
Sexiest_hero
Initiate
Initiate

Named Characters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Named Characters   Named Characters EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 10:54 am

I don't think they are as frowned on as the 40k Heros. Fantasy does a better job balancing them, I think
Back to top Go down
Jeff P
Neophyte
Jeff P

Named Characters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Named Characters   Named Characters EmptySat Jun 20, 2009 1:05 pm

Most non-GW events dont allow them. Every GW event does.

The feeling seems to be that most are ok or pretty good, but there are a few that are just way over the top and "unfun". So instead of picking and choosing to ban a few, most tourneys just dont allow any.
Back to top Go down
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Named Characters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Named Characters   Named Characters EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 7:55 am

I feel that if you allow the codex, you take it all. That is sorta like picking the rules you want to play by and ignoring the rest. There are inbalances through out the codexs and rules. It would be a very long list if you tried to disallow all of them. Then again, I dislike tourneys Smile.
Back to top Go down
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

Named Characters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Named Characters   Named Characters EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 5:08 pm

It's a matter of preference. If everyone is happy with named people then fine.

Personally I generally don't care for them. Many editions ago it was all about the characters and everything else was filler. GW moved away from that but it feels like an odd creep back in named characters in some cases.

If someone needs a named super muck-ity muck that's a choice. It just implies they can't play their army. Also sometimes there is solid fluff reasons for that game, in those cases it isn't odd that some super toon is showing up to ALL battles. Some named types are more templates for a super elite of that character.

Pretty much with Jeff. It's a matter of personal judgment.
Back to top Go down
kainthedragoonx
Sergeant
Sergeant
kainthedragoonx

Named Characters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Named Characters   Named Characters EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 9:12 am

Bring the named characters I say! cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.aowcinci.com
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Named Characters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Named Characters   Named Characters EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 9:05 pm

I tend to go opposite of Bob. Beginning players should stay away from named, in their lists and their opponents. When named are aloud in a list, it adds a whole new level of strategy that the average player has a hard time dealing with. I have heard and read the arguements against them. What it seems to boil down to is it adds a level of complication that they can't or don't want to deal with. Sometimes I think they would be happier if there was no leadership at all, sorta like risk Smile.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Named Characters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Named Characters   Named Characters Empty

Back to top Go down

Named Characters
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CAG :: Warhammer Fantasy :: Fantasy General Discussion-
Jump to: