CAG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A friendly group of people looking to share their Hobby!!!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What Army to Start?

Go down 
+2
pricosaint
CaptainHonkey
6 posters
AuthorMessage
CaptainHonkey
Neophyte
CaptainHonkey

What Army to Start? Empty
PostSubject: What Army to Start?   What Army to Start? EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 4:46 pm

Ok i just got done helpin my friend make his Dwarves army, and now i can finally work on another army. I already play Wood Elves but stuck on what i want as a second army, after studying all the army for a while ive finally narrowed it down to 2 armys,

Warrors of Chaos
or
Orcs & Goblins

I wanna play one that can be played in many different way (not the same thing over and over again like Dwarves)

Any advise will be much appresheated
Back to top Go down
pricosaint
Neophyte
pricosaint

PostSubject: Re: What Army to Start?   What Army to Start? EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 5:30 pm

As with anything else, i usually pick aesthetics, as in, whichever looks cooler is to you is the best choice. And if all else fails, pick one and try it for a while and if you dont like it, sell it and collect the other one.

but for me I say WoC, cause O&G are a turn off for me
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: What Army to Start?   What Army to Start? EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 5:32 pm

I would say if you are going for a army you can chance up go with orcs and goblins, last time I looked at warrios they really didnt have many option they were more sraight lined here is what your 5 choices or army builds are and go with them. I have yet to see a orc and goblin army that was built the same(well ok I have seen 2 maybe 3 so not hard) but I have seen warrior of choas armies that are supposed to be unqie all look alike and that was in the old codex were they still had demons to pull on.

also in the end it is youre own choice, I wouldnt go with a army just because everyone else says how great it is, it might not be for you.
Back to top Go down
CaptainHonkey
Neophyte
CaptainHonkey

PostSubject: Re: What Army to Start?   What Army to Start? EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 6:27 pm

Orcs n Goblins do look like they can play in many different ways and thats kinda what im looking for, plus near me theres no Orc n Goblin player but theres 3 Warriors players. So right now im starting to side with Orcs n Goblins
Back to top Go down
pricosaint
Neophyte
pricosaint

PostSubject: Re: What Army to Start?   What Army to Start? EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 6:59 pm

also to consider is, the different magic available to each, as well as the amount of models.

WoC is more elite based right? so less models = less money

while O&G is almost horde based right?

so keep that in mind as well when it comes to painting
Back to top Go down
Marc
Fantasy Moderator
Marc

PostSubject: Re: What Army to Start?   What Army to Start? EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 9:28 pm

pricosaint wrote:
so keep that in mind as well when it comes to painting
Good point... I'm always impressed by the Skaven players.
Spending hours and hours painting those 2pt a model Slaves..
Back to top Go down
https://cincycag.forumotion.com/
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: What Army to Start?   What Army to Start? EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 11:21 pm

You will put more models on the board with O&G than WoC and I think they are more versitile as well. I would suggest either buying or borrowing the codexs and play a proxied army or two from each codex to get a better idea of what you want. When I first got my High Elves, I played a lot of Sea Guard units. After playing a few battles, I dropped them in favor of spearmen. They didn't seem as awesome on the board as they looked in the codex. It is easier than sinking a lot of cash, time and effort into an army then finding out it isn't what you hoped for.
Back to top Go down
CaptainHonkey
Neophyte
CaptainHonkey

PostSubject: Re: What Army to Start?   What Army to Start? EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 4:26 am

Well ive finally chose my army after going back and studying the armys some more and i feel stupid because i totally forgot all about the one army ive always wanted to start Skaven. When i was reading about all the armys, background, style of play, looks and all that good stuff i suddenly relized ive studied about every army except Skaven the one army (except Wood Elves) ive always liked and wanted to start.

lol. So anyone got any advice on Skaven?
Back to top Go down
FrostWolf
Veteran Sergeant
Veteran Sergeant
FrostWolf

PostSubject: Re: What Army to Start?   What Army to Start? EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 7:29 am

plenty get lots of clan rats and slaves. You then have 2 choices you can pack a lot of their guns, warlocks or a grey seer or go even more hordes. I would sugest trying to not use a grey seer if you are going to max out on warlocks, reason being is I have never been impresed by the grey seer in battles, were the warlocks can be as devastateing and can end up being less cost for same firepower since you will always have warp lightning. The other thing to consider is you want a high leadership on youre general and to keep him close to as many units as possible. the biggest problem skaven suffer from(I seem to have it a lot) is large chunks of the army running away right off the board. In the end it is about how you want to play dont follow what one person says because what works for them doesnt always work for you
Back to top Go down
CaptainHonkey
Neophyte
CaptainHonkey

PostSubject: Re: What Army to Start?   What Army to Start? EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 11:06 pm

Im probably gonna run a lot of Clanrats and units like that and back em up with some Warplock Jezzails and a Warp-lightning Cannon. But im probably gonna wait for the new codex before i made a list for em
Back to top Go down
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: What Army to Start?   What Army to Start? EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 11:21 pm

Unless I have missed something, you will be waiting a long time for a new codex. I didn't see anything on the schedual for this year in fantasy, but I haven't looked in over a month Smile. Take a look at the ratling guns, they are scarey.
Back to top Go down
CaptainHonkey
Neophyte
CaptainHonkey

PostSubject: Re: What Army to Start?   What Army to Start? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 2:16 am

One of my buddys works at Games Workshop and he said this year Skaven, Ogres, and Tomb Kings are getting new codexs. If i remember right Skavens, next then Ogre, then Tomb Kings get one in Dec/Jan
Back to top Go down
Crobar
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: What Army to Start?   What Army to Start? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 2:48 am

I hope you are right, they didn't put it on their release schedule, but all of them need a new codex. I am surprised that Beastmen wasn't on the list. They really got screwed over with the Warriors of Choas and Daemons came out. I own Ogre Kingdoms, they lose most of the time, but they are fun to play Smile. I even have some Rhinox Riders I had help modding for when I feel like being competitive and give my opponent a challenge Smile. Of course, they may have decided that Beastmen need to join Chaos Dwarves and Dogs of War in the bottom of their trash bin.
Back to top Go down
pricosaint
Neophyte
pricosaint

PostSubject: Re: What Army to Start?   What Army to Start? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 12:12 pm

i heard skaven was next for being redone, as i was interested in them as well but did not want to start collecting them when suddenly newer models might becoming out and i might want to change how i wanted to play them.

but if you really like them, you shouldnt wait, most models prob will be unchanged, lookswise, the things prob be changing are the metal models like stormvermin and possibly the lord and hero choices turned into plastic kits (like most other new armies coming out).

skaven definitely seems like a fun, if everything goes right you can completely own but if something goes wrong, suddenly half your army is gone and so is your opponents lol

overall is sounds like fun but challenging at same time, you should try them
Back to top Go down
Evil Bob
Sergeant
Sergeant
Evil Bob

PostSubject: Re: What Army to Start?   What Army to Start? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 1:13 pm

CaptainHonkey wrote:
lol. So anyone got any advice on Skaven?
Be warned that getting into skaven is like buying an old car. Both are expensive and require allot of work. A large Skaven army like an old car is dangerous. Neither look good without a serious effort to paint them.
Back to top Go down
CaptainHonkey
Neophyte
CaptainHonkey

PostSubject: Re: What Army to Start?   What Army to Start? EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 2:55 pm

Crobar wrote:
Of course, they may have decided that Beastmen need to join Chaos Dwarves and Dogs of War in the bottom of their trash bin.

No they haven't abandoned Beastmen they're supposed to get a new codex next year with Bretonnia and Wood Elves. lol And they really need it badly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Army to Start?   What Army to Start? Empty

Back to top Go down

What Army to Start?
Page 1 of 1